• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

sadly last 2 hours radar showed some snow over top of me but yet nothing dp has gone up 4 and temp went up 2. I hope this isnt a case that the system does nothing cause quote on quote to dry.

3 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Light snow has started here, 25/20ºF

this always gets me how does it always start snowing in Altoona before here even tho we got radar returns first? what is the elevation in Altoona 

10 minutes ago, Ruin said:

this always gets me how does it always start snowing in Altoona before here even tho we got radar returns first? what is the elevation in Altoona 

Harrisburg is much farther from the State College radar than here. The further away from the radar the higher the radar beam is. What’s showing over Harrisburg is about 7,000 feet overhead vs here 50 miles closer to the radar where the beam height is about 2,000 feet. It’s seeing what’s still virga over the Harrisburg area. Snow should be beginning soon over there, likely within the next hour or so. 

1 minute ago, MAG5035 said:

Harrisburg is much farther from the State College radar than here. The further away from the radar the higher the radar beam is. What’s showing over Harrisburg is about 7,000 feet overhead vs here 50 miles closer to the radar where the beam height is about 2,000 feet. It’s seeing what’s still virga over the Harrisburg area. Snow should be beginning soon over there, likely within the next hour or so. 

Oh I thought harrisburg area had its own radar harrisburg airport? just hate the fact it started showing snow many hours before they called for it and its just virga god I hate that word lol :)

2 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

Down here at BWI until my shift ends have about 1.5" so far back and forth between moderate to heavy snow.

Ughh. I lived in Linthicum Heights for 33 years until last year. We always got screwed and up here jackpoted. SEND IT UP HERE!!!!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mitchnick said:

Ughh. I lived in Linthicum Heights for 33 years until last year. We always got screwed and up here jackpoted. SEND IT UP HERE!!!!!

Lol second shift this week dealing with this, not what I wanna be doing right now. Can kinda see where the northern extent is setting up already. Should manage 2-4" still up that way thinking 3-5" back at home in Lanc.

17 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

I had stated that ratios would be 20:1 and many did not believe.

High ratio stuff coming.

I didnt think 20:1 was legit, but that is why I'm a weenie and not a red tagger.  12-15:1 sounded reasonable going in.  

NWS considering the upgrade to a warning for southeast crew. 

No changes to the previous winter wx headlines
although some consideration was given toward warning upgrade in
the far southeast where hires models show a potential fgen band
pivoting over northern MD/DE into southern NJ. Confidence was
just not high enough to pull trigger on warning right now with
the HREF and NBM probs more bullish over areas just south of the
MD line. Reliance on higher QPF and SLRs can also be a risky
proposition, so will stay put for now and alert the dayshift on
potential need for short-lead WSW.
  • Like 1