Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

33 minutes ago, Caveman said:

No doubt!  I'm in northern York County and "play" in the middle of that "abnormally dry" region in south central PA...and frankly, for this time of year, it's abnormally wet.

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 2.43.13 PM.png

They take a long term look at it for those maps and include ground water levels so takes a lot to move those up.    But that map is massively improved from 2-3 months ago (especially south of PA.) 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, canderson said:

Legit cold going to be in Texas for about 70 hours next week. Should be impressive. 

My co-worker is running in the Bandera 100K marathon down there this weekend.  Looks like they'll miss the Arctic shot by a day or so.. I can't imagine running a 100k in a year let alone 12 hours... then add bone-chilling cold to the mix, that would've felt more like the Iditarod.

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

The Icon actually has a north displaced trough a bit north of you.   Temps are not that bad for you...Fridged over here.

image.thumb.png.80f66739c32be576fdab8d995669e7f7.png

I'll take that...for now, but I am so ready to come home.

Sad part is that unless my mom agrees to come home with me or go into a care facility here, I'm stuck. I'm missing my wife and family bad though... :(

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, canderson said:

The Buffalo game might be fun with lake effect snow.  Not sure timing there. 

I’d make a solid wager on it becoming very newsworthy in the sports media as it gets in the short range and BUF starts putting out products and accumulation forecasts for it (significant LES already being mentioned in their AFD). Although I’d probably make a solid wager on taking the Steelers at +10 too haha.

But it seriously looks like a great setup for a major LES event. It’d be the first widespread one of the season with legitimate cold air over the unfrozen lakes too. I posted a map a few days ago and things look about the same with that WSW flow over the length of Lake Erie focusing on the south towns of Buffalo (where Orchard Park is). Aligned cyclonic WSW flow all the way up through 700mb. Low level 925 and 850mb temps in the -10 to -18ºC (ideal range for snow growth) over water temps in Erie that are mostly in the upper 30s to near 40. Timing is right around game time too and during Sunday. It could be a quite a spectacle. 

image.thumb.png.29274ada6ebe56591716cdc2878846eb.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some finals from yesterday’s storm. 1.47” total as measured by the rain gauge (WS-5000 station), which includes morning snow that piled into it. I brought the rain gauge inside and got the snow quickly melted. That only yielded about 0.4” which is likely too low, that would’ve been a 17.5:1 ratio at 7”. Ratio was probably close to 10:1, so precip total with the inch of rain was probably more in the 1.75” range. 

Pressure bottomed out at 983mb around 9pm last night, a drop of 41mb in 24 hours. 

Peak wind gust (this afternoon) of 42 mph. It was pretty windy today but nothing crazy despite the early morning upgrade to high wind warning this county had today. 

Still generally 6” of snow in the yard, except under the pine trees at the edge of the property. There was about 3-4” of snow left from Saturday prior to yesterdays snow. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

I’d make a solid wager on it becoming very newsworthy in the sports media as it gets in the short range and BUF starts putting out products and accumulation forecasts for it (significant LES already being mentioned in their AFD). Although I’d probably make a solid wager on taking the Steelers at +10 too haha.

But it seriously looks like a great setup for a major LES event. It’d be the first widespread one of the season with legitimate cold air over the unfrozen lakes too. I posted a map a few days ago and things look about the same with that WSW flow over the length of Lake Erie focusing on the south towns of Buffalo (where Orchard Park is). Aligned cyclonic WSW flow all the way up through 700mb. Low level 925 and 850mb temps in the -10 to -18ºC (ideal range for snow growth) over water temps in Erie that are mostly in the upper 30s to near 40. Timing is right around game time too and during Sunday. It could be a quite a spectacle. 

image.thumb.png.29274ada6ebe56591716cdc2878846eb.png

Love it Mag! Awesome to have snow games this weekend! 

1 minute ago, mitchnick said:

18z Eps. Despite what you may read in the MA forum, although it still has the Monday storm, it is weaker and a bit more out to sea. Precip maps for comparison.  All snow by the way. Possibly slower, but not based on slp location. 

I got the MA forum for the laughs, come here for facts! 

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I got the MA forum for the laughs, come here for facts! 

There are good posters there, but I prefer less drama and smaller group. We all read that forum and others, and although the run is similar to 12z as was stated there, it's around 1/2 the qpf and snowfall per snowfall map.

6 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

18z Eps. Despite what you may read in the MA forum, although it still has the Monday storm, it is weaker and a bit more out to sea. Precip maps for comparison.  All snow by the way. Possibly slower, but not based on slp location. 

qpf_024h-mean-imp.us_ma (3).png

qpf_024h-mean-imp.us_ma (4).png

Same general signal.

We are in the game.

That’s all I’m looking for at this range.

3 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

There are good posters there, but I prefer less drama and smaller group. We all read that forum and others, and although the run is similar to 12z, it's around 1/2 the qpf and snowfall per snowfall map.

Plenty of good posters and nice people, but it is still damn funny sometimes.  Bit of a model war with the GEFS and EPS as to positions of important features. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mitchnick said:

There are good posters there, but I prefer less drama and smaller group. We all read that forum and others, and although the run is similar to 12z as was stated there, it's around 1/2 the qpf and snowfall per snowfall map.

The bulk of the storm is still on the way when the run ends at 144 hours. 

I’ll gladly take my chances with this look at this range.

IMG_4263.png

I think they would doom if they lived at Tahoe

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The bulk of the storm is still on the way when the run ends at 144 hours. 

I’ll gladly take my chances with this look at this range.

IMG_4263.png

12z v 18z. Also, the 500mb vort is more positively tilted, which explains the storm further off the coast.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy there's a decent signal, but I'm just analyzing the run to prior run.

sfcmslp-meanmem.conus (6).png

sfcmslp-meanmem.conus (5).png