• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Let’s talk winter!! Ohio and surrounding states!!

Steve

Welp, that was interesting.

Here in NE Ohio, everyone I know lost power bad during the straight-line wind thunderstorm that blew through in late August of last year. The forecasts showed winds gusting 50-60 mph, and we have been on edge since Thursday. Every single person I talk to says they're "done with snow and winter", and I personally detest winter weather, so we were happy that we had no snow accumulation. I should note, we had a quick 1-2 inches in an hour around 4pm Friday night before turning to rain and melting away.

Thankfully, it's past us, so now we just get some arctic air. Overall, the local mets hype about winds didn't get *quite* as bad as we had been fearing.

For those more seasoned in winter weather than myself, was the storm weaker than expected? Did the winds underperform in NE Ohio or was it what you guys expected?

I'm  less than a mile from the lake in Mentor and the wind has been blowing pretty strong since really early this morning 

was afraid we'd lose power again after just being without it for 17 hours Tuesday-Wednesday during the 1st wind event. 

22 minutes ago, WHEATCENT said:

I'm  less than a mile from the lake in Mentor and the wind has been blowing pretty strong since really early this morning 

was afraid we'd lose power again after just being without it for 17 hours Tuesday-Wednesday during the 1st wind event. 

Really? Wow! I'm down in Southern Summit County and it wasn't near that bad.

2 hours ago, Floydbuster said:

Here in NE Ohio, everyone I know lost power bad during the straight-line wind thunderstorm that blew through in late August of last year. The forecasts showed winds gusting 50-60 mph, and we have been on edge since Thursday. Every single person I talk to says they're "done with snow and winter", and I personally detest winter weather, so we were happy that we had no snow accumulation. I should note, we had a quick 1-2 inches in an hour around 4pm Friday night before turning to rain and melting away.

Thankfully, it's past us, so now we just get some arctic air. Overall, the local mets hype about winds didn't get *quite* as bad as we had been fearing.

For those more seasoned in winter weather than myself, was the storm weaker than expected? Did the winds underperform in NE Ohio or was it what you guys expected?

National Weather Service reported gusts over 60 in Cleveland and Parma. 

Here's a link that hopefully works. 

https://www.weather.gov/cle/pns_all

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Snohio said:

National Weather Service reported gusts over 60 in Cleveland and Parma. 

Here's a link that hopefully works. 

https://www.weather.gov/cle/pns_all

Thanks for the link.

Yeah, stronger winds certainly hit closer to the lakeshore. The two strongest gusts here near Akron were 51 and 54 mph both gusts within less than twenty minutes of each other around 4:30-5am Saturday morning.

I guess what made it a little better (atleast down here) was that it wasn't a constant roar with gust after gust after gust. 

On 1/13/2024 at 7:07 PM, Floydbuster said:

On Friday the general consensus was that the low would bottom out around 975mb Saturday morning. It ended up getting to about 980mb. So it was a bit weaker than expected, and the gradient winds on the backside were slightly weaker as a result..the High Wind Warning verified in spots, but the southern row or so of counties in the warning fell a few mph short. 

4 minutes ago, buckeye said:

I see what you did there;)     

Gotta enjoy the next 2 days with some snow around…might be our whole winter.

No, no, no….February will be rocking! SSWE! LMAO! How many times have we heard that over the years?! Hope ur doing well Buck!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Yea about the same in Westerville.   The last few years our climo has been like Nashville without the ice storms.  

I finished up around 1.9" and could get more overnight, but yes we have had a more Nashville like climo. However, from those plots I've been sharing in the banter thread, Nashville has gotten a handful of big storms while we haven't.

Was in Hocking Hills this weekend for the Old Man's Cave Annual Winter Hike, and for the first time since Jan'14 we had decent snow and well below freezing weather. As a matter of fact we got just under 6" of snow thru this morning about 2 miles north of Old Man's Cave in the center of Hocking Co.

1 hour ago, dilly84 said:

This may be the worst winter I can ever remember. I know a couple years ago was bad, but we aren't even getting nickel and dimed. I'm not sure where to check for snow totals for the winter, but I know it has to be under 4"

Cleveland Hopkins averages 63.8 inches per year and is at 16.5 and they got a bit more from the lake enhanced storm about 2 weeks ago than i did 30 miles east in lake county.  I'm probably sitting at only 8 total inches or so and its the end of January.....