• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Autumn 2023

I've been out of action lately because I'm redoing my 2nd floor hall bath. I  hired a guy to do a couple things I've never done before like ripping out a fiberglass tub and shower unit and setting a new tub. But I'm doing the rest like demo-ing the floors and walls, installing new ceramic floors and tub walls, painting, installing the new vanity with new fixtures and drains. That said,  there's nothing I  hate more than simple plumbing, as in installing new drains pipes from a new sink. I'll be d@mned if I  can get that d@mn drain line connected to the bottom of the sink without that sob leaking ever so slightly. But I  refuse to call my plumbing contractor back until I  run out of 4 letter words. The only thing that has saved me is that one of the 2 sinks went in fine with no leaks while the other one is on the 3rd try. I  have my fingers crossed that there's no water in the bucket tomorrow morning. Can't wait to refocus my life on more important things like model runs and high/low temperatures. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I've been out of action lately because I'm redoing my 2nd floor hall bath. I  hired a guy to do a couple things I've never done before like ripping out a fiberglass tub and shower unit and setting a new tub. But I'm doing the rest like demo-ing the floors and walls, installing new ceramic floors and tub walls, painting, installing the new vanity with new fixtures and drains. That said,  there's nothing I  hate more than simple plumbing, as in installing new drains pipes from a new sink. I'll be d@mned if I  can get that d@mn drain line connected to the bottom of the sink without that sob leaking ever so slightly. But I  refuse to call my plumbing contractor back until I  run out of 4 letter words. The only thing that has saved me is that one of the 2 sinks went in fine with no leaks while the other one is on the 3rd try. I  have my fingers crossed that there's no water in the bucket tomorrow morning. Can't wait to refocus my life on more important things like model runs and high/low temperatures. 

I need to replace a pedestal sink with a wall mounted one and dread the experience. 

49 minutes ago, canderson said:

Where is October taking for all time warmest? It has to be up there. We have never not had to the on the furnace this late and it won’t be needed until at least next later next week . 

You must have missed my post from earlier this morning (I’ll let it slide this one time) where I predicted a final mean temp of 59.7 — good for 11th place all time. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

You must have missed my post from earlier this morning (I’ll let it slide this one time) where I predicted a final mean temp of 59.7 — good for 11th place all time. 

Totally did - apologies! 

A wicked cold front is hitting Texas this weekend. 

At 10 pm Sunday, the "feels like" will be 37 in Austin but 78 in Houston.  

A 46 degree temp drop within 12 hours is possible in Austin. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, canderson said:

Where is October taking for all time warmest? It has to be up there. We have never not had to the on the furnace this late and it won’t be needed until at least next later next week . 

If you count all the following warm days 9 out of 31 days of October would be between 76-83 degrees and 12 days 70 or above for my town and similar for other areas nearby. That seems excessive to have so many days that warm in October. And what's crazier is there was a stretch of warmth in both the beginning and end of October which makes it more impressive. The next 3 days are going to be close or full on record breaking. The thing that makes this crazier is the fact this warmth lasts for days. It's normal to have 1 or 2 days get very warm around this time once in a while but when this happens now it happens for longer periods of time.

Today should be several degrees warmer than yesterday with the warmth peaking by Saturday. At least for Chester County any record highs look beyond reach as those records are in the low 80's. Cooler air spreads into the area by Monday with temps falling to well below normal again by next week. We may see higher spots by next Wednesday struggling to get out of the low 40's with our first widespread freeze potential increasing by that time...so enjoy the warmth the next few days!
Records for today: High 79 (1963) / Low 24 (1950) / Rain 2.35" (1943)
image.png.22bf01313e0ea4065efe7491b0914893.png

Had a low of 44 overnight. Haven't had that happen before. :)  

Had a crazy temp fluctuation last evening between 6:30 - 8:30pm:

6:30: 61.1

6:45: 65.5

7:00: 59.9

7:15: 63.3

7:30: 57.8

7:45: 64.1

8:00: 62.8

8:15: 64.7

8:30: 58.6

After that, the temp slowly but steadily fell off. 

It's not super uncommon to have temp swings, but given the sensible weather, the duration, and the amount of variation, it seemed very unusual. Did anyone else record anything similar last evening? 

11 hours ago, mitchnick said:

Love doing DIY's, but yeah 4 letter words come w/ the territory.  Did you install rubber gasket?  Check couplings to make sure its in there.  Been there....did that.  if its in there did you check for cracks/tears in it? 

Also check seal in bottom of sink as well.  Make sure you have enough schmutz around it and didnt miss a spot.  

Good luck.  Sounds like a great project.

11 hours ago, mitchnick said:

I never have a problem with the supply lines, especially using sharkbites. But those drain lines, that aren't even under pressure, haunt me.

sharkbites are the 8th wonder of the modern world.  Dont forget to check trap gasket as well.  

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Had a low of 44 overnight. Haven't had that happen before. :)  

Had a crazy temp fluctuation last evening between 6:30 - 8:30pm:

6:30: 61.1

6:45: 65.5

7:00: 59.9

7:15: 63.3

7:30: 57.8

7:45: 64.1

8:00: 62.8

8:15: 64.7

8:30: 58.6

After that, the temp slowly but steadily fell off. 

It's not super uncommon to have temp swings, but given the sensible weather, the duration, and the amount of variation, it seemed very unusual. Did anyone else record anything similar last evening? 

Checked a bunch of WU stations around my area at varying elevations and, no, they all showed steady consistent drops through those hours and beyond.  Get your equipment checked Training, and no this isn't your wife talking :lol: 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Checked a bunch of WU stations around my area at varying elevations and, no, they all showed steady consistent drops through those hours and beyond.  Get your equipment checked Training, and no this isn't your wife talking :lol: 

(channeling my inner Lee Corso) Not so fast! 

:) 

I actually was sitting adjacent to my monitor watching it while enjoying a late dinner. Thing is, if you go by hourly readings, mine weren't that alarming. It was what happened in the interim that seemed wonky. 

And let me say this - my station is 100% accurate. Don't even think about questioning my data, sir. You and everyone else can suffer through your smoothed-out data while I'm enjoying my highly sensitive, highly accurate data. There was a mix of cloud cover and clear skies last evening, and along with the southerly wind component, I truly believe that reflected in the readings.

I had adjusted my barometer a couple of years ago and ever since it has been lock/step with MDT's data except for events such as frontal passages when my station obviously responds a little later. 

I'm all good here. 

9 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

(channeling my inner Lee Corso) Not so fast! 

:) 

I actually was sitting adjacent to my monitor watching it while enjoying a late dinner. Thing is, if you go by hourly readings, mine weren't that alarming. It was what happened in the interim that seemed wonky. 

And let me say this - my station is 100% accurate. Don't even think about questioning my data, sir. You and everyone else can suffer through your smoothed-out data while I'm enjoying my highly sensitive, highly accurate data. There was a mix of cloud cover and clear skies last evening, and along with the southerly wind component, I truly believe that reflected in the readings.

I had adjusted my barometer a couple of years ago and ever since it has been lock/step with MDT's data except for events such as frontal passages when my station obviously responds a little later. 

I'm all good here. 

Sounds like you've got it all buttoned-up buuuuut you did ask for verification from others, which seemed to imply your own skepticism.  Hey, who am I to question anyone's reading when I can't even report a daily high because my wife has a giant black pergola covering too close to my station haha.  Which, by the way, is coming off soon!  Hopefully this weekend, and if my theory is correct, I'll be able to report accurate daytime highs.  We shall see.  I know you're all waiting on the edge of your seats for my update.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Sounds like you've got it all buttoned-up buuuuut you did ask for verification from others, which seemed to imply your own skepticism.  Hey, who am I to question anyone's reading when I can't even report a daily high because my wife has a giant black pergola covering too close to my station haha.  Which, by the way, is coming off soon!  Hopefully this weekend, and if my theory is correct, I'll be able to report accurate daytime highs.  We shall see.  I know you're all waiting on the edge of your seats for my update.

Finally, a nooner for MJS. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Fair point. I asked, I received. And I appreciate. :)  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The sound effects sound sort of like the SFB to MDT Allegiant flights which go over your house. 

You should here the sounds from the FedEx jets - not sure why, they always seem to cross over much lower than the commercial aircraft. I can usually tell in advance if it's FedEx. I guess they need to deliver the load quickly...

• Like 1