• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2023 OBS/Discussion Thread

Rtd208

We picked up a total of 2.07" of rain with 0.49" falling since midnight. The 1.58" that fell yesterday was our largest single day rain total since the 2.55" that fell on September 24th. A couple of dry and seasonably chilly days will take us through Thanksgiving Day with highs today just north of 50 and tomorrow likely staying in the 40's it most spots. Much colder by Friday through the weekend with highs on Saturday remaining in the 30's. There is a slim chance at some snow or rain showers by Sunday night.
Records for today: High 72 (1931) / Low 13 (1964) / Rain 1.86" (1991) / Snow 1.7" (1989)
image.png.d866af2fbb43e46e564ecdb7bd61b46b.png

I have now been at my current home location for 20 years this week here in East Nantmeal. I have taken daily weather observations every day of those 20 years. I have used the exact same station equipment (Davis Vantage Pro 2 solar fan aspirated model) sited at the exact same spot on my property. I thought I would begin to share some of those individual 20 year records.

image.thumb.png.5042ec839c724d43bfb9941c2f98e010.pngimage.thumb.png.800050fafc8548502382324ca50bf95b.png

• Like 3

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
Should be a great stretch of seasonably chilly weather with generally below normal temperatures over the next week as we move into December. The coldest day looks to be Saturday where some of the higher spots may struggle to escape the mid-30's The only chance of rain or a bit of mixed snow looks to be on Sunday evening.
Records for today: High 73 (1931) / Low 11 (1989) / Rain 1.30" (1961) / Snow 2.9" (1989)
image.png.3d6b686dfabe2ee57f1d0219a169a4ca.png

25 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Just happened to see this two minutes ago. Dentist appointment that day lock this one up :yikes:

Well, we all know digital snow doesn't amount to jack squat. But this season already has a vastly different look wrt the longwave pattern and how systems are reacting along the coastline than the past several. Weeklies and lr ens all pointing to a very favorable look towards mid-Dec fwiw. Can't ask for more before mid Dec than that. Better than a blinds-shutter look for sure.

yes its only one model run but the writing is all over the wall. Dec 5-8 usually is the first accumulating snowfall event for the area--- aka  Pearl harbor day snow bombing run. This year is no different. I will be more hopeful if I see this same scenario unfolding as below on the model runs on Friday. These models have been hinting some type of snow event for the last week in the same time frame but they keep appearing and disappearing on each model run.  gfs_asnow_neus_54.png

• Weenie 1

On 11/23/2023 at 12:47 PM, Ralph Wiggum said:

Well, we all know digital snow doesn't amount to jack squat. But this season already has a vastly different look wrt the longwave pattern and how systems are reacting along the coastline than the past several. Weeklies and lr ens all pointing to a very favorable look towards mid-Dec fwiw. Can't ask for more before mid Dec than that. Better than a blinds-shutter look for sure.

On 11/23/2023 at 9:52 PM, Albedoman said:

yes its only one model run but the writing is all over the wall. Dec 5-8 usually is the first accumulating snowfall event for the area--- aka  Pearl harbor day snow bombing run. This year is no different. I will be more hopeful if I see this same scenario unfolding as below on the model runs on Friday. These models have been hinting some type of snow event for the last week in the same time frame but they keep appearing and disappearing on each model run.  gfs_asnow_neus_54.png

That week of December sometime between Dec. 5 - 10) seems to almost always have some sort of precip event annually, most often wintry, with a few times when it was just rain, and some rare instances of nothing.

My Wed. high ended up at 54, with the Thurs./Fri. splits 51/40 & 51/32.  Thanksgiving day was notable due to the high overhead resulting in a perfectly blue sky for the parade.

This morning was "brutal" in terms of my first "hard freeze" (temp at or below 28F), bottoming out at 26.  Anything marginally tender that thought it was still gonna stay green (or crawling) and alive (and not in a protected location), should be toast.

It's currently 33 with dp 22.

And as a sidenote - I initially thought that it was maybe a "temporary" thing for the holiday but finally did a little search and confirmed that KYW has now done a complete circle and will be using Accuweather again for their weather reports from now on. The past couple days, I was like "Why is this Accuweather guy on?". Well now I know! :o:P

As another sidenote - the USDA has officially moved all of metro Philly and rim areas a few miles out from the border, into USDA Hardiness Zone 7b.  Was previously 7a (where Delco had the 7b at the last update back in 2012 and that remains).

So for the gardeners here (and you know who you are :lol:), here is the link to the new map (can zoom by zipcode) - https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/

This morning was the coldest morning here in East Nantmeal 24.1 degrees since the 22.5 degree reading back on March 19th. Today we will struggle to escape the 40's especially in the higher terrain of the county this is about 10 degrees colder than it should be for this time of the year. We warm up to the mid 40's tomorrow with some rain Sunday night before turning much colder again for mid week. Temperatures Tuesday will not get too far above freezing in some spots of Chester County.
Records for today: High 74 (1979) / Low 12 (1938) / Rain 2.11" (1964) / Snow 6.0" (1938)
image.png.ce02a41251284fa37013229522210d90.png

5 hours ago, RedSky said:

Have to say December isn't looking Nino mild like most winter forecasts predicted. Another case of analogs fail? Now I done it the kiss of death..

I would almost rule out any sort of blow torch Christmas w/solid cold and some chances of frozen precip in Dec. January looks more active w/cold air (Not frigid but cold enough). I mean anything is better than last year.

Already 33F at 5:35pm w/a predicted low of 23F.... 

33f.jpg

21 minutes ago, WarrenCtyWx said:

I don't think ABE has had a 6" storm since early February 2021.

I think I was under a winter storm warning for an underperforming storm that year. Other than that, I think the last time I was under a winter storm warning was for the 2016 blizzard.

Maybe someone with a better memory can correct me if I wrong about that. But yeah, slim pickin’s in recent years.

47 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

I think I was under a winter storm warning for an underperforming storm that year. Other than that, I think the last time I was under a winter storm warning was for the 2016 blizzard.

Maybe someone with a better memory can correct me if I wrong about that. But yeah, slim pickin’s in recent years.

You had 8.5", myself 8.3"....Feb 3, 2021. Berks got nailed.

Lansdale 8.5 in

North Wales 8.3 in

May have underperformed but 8.5" is still warning material I would think.

PENNSYLVANIA

Berks County

Fleetwood 26.0 in

Mertztown 26.0 in

Bern Twp 24.5 in

Laureldale 24.5 in

Huffs Church 24.1 in

Reading 23.0 in

Temple 22.0 in

Wernersville 22.0 in

Spring Twp 19.3 in

West Wyomissing 18.3 in

Bern Twp 18.0 in

District Twp 18.0 in

West Lawn 18.0 in

Wyomissing 17.8 in

Hamburg 15.0 in

https://6abc.com/philly-snow-totals-philadelphia-snowstorm-new-jersey-delaware/10248024/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

Lansdale 8.5 in

North Wales 8.3 in

PENNSYLVANIA

Berks County

Fleetwood 26.0 in

Mertztown 26.0 in

Bern Twp 24.5 in

Laureldale 24.5 in

Huffs Church 24.1 in

Reading 23.0 in

Temple 22.0 in

Wernersville 22.0 in

Spring Twp 19.3 in

West Wyomissing 18.3 in

Bern Twp 18.0 in

District Twp 18.0 in

West Lawn 18.0 in

Wyomissing 17.8 in

Hamburg 15.0 in

https://6abc.com/philly-snow-totals-philadelphia-snowstorm-new-jersey-delaware/10248024/

Something tells me don't try and remember this one, vague memory of very heavy radar echoes for hours with nothing but light snow and me being beside myself over it, but then hours of heavier snow under light returns that helped

6 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Something tells me don't try and remember this one, vague memory of very heavy radar echoes for hours with nothing but light snow and me being beside myself over it, but then hours of heavier snow under light returns that helped

We received 16.6" of snow from that one. Some interesting snow drought notes....PHL has now gone a record 664 days since 2/13/22 without an inch of snow recorded in any day. Here in Chester County we have now gone 620 days without an inch of daily snow since March 12, 2022 when we received 4.3" of snow. The all-time Chester County record which was exactly the same as the old PHL mark was the 661 days that included the only snowless winter in Chesco history the winter of 1972-73. The drought ended at both PHL and Chesco on December 15, 1973

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JTA66 said:

March 2018 had a big event later in the month that I think you would have been under a warning for.

4 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Lansdale 8.5 in

North Wales 8.3 in

PENNSYLVANIA

Berks County

Fleetwood 26.0 in

Mertztown 26.0 in

Bern Twp 24.5 in

Laureldale 24.5 in

Huffs Church 24.1 in

Reading 23.0 in

Temple 22.0 in

Wernersville 22.0 in

Spring Twp 19.3 in

West Wyomissing 18.3 in

Bern Twp 18.0 in

District Twp 18.0 in

West Lawn 18.0 in

Wyomissing 17.8 in

Hamburg 15.0 in

February 2, 2021 may be the storm I’m thinking of. We were expecting a quick change over to snow but stayed as sleet longer than forecasted. It was probably a better storm than I recall.