• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer 2023

I will catch up on my mows then!
I understand great valley and such, but part of the great valley got nailed. Your rain luck is about as good as my ex's slot machine luck. At least you don't beg for money saying "I'm due".

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

I understand great valley and such, but part of the great valley got nailed. Your rain luck is about as good as my ex's slot machine luck. At least you don't beg for money saying "I'm due".

The great valley is not absolute....sometimes we get it, but it does promote the philosophy that any flaws will magnify when it comes to convection. That blob near Waynesboro was headed right toward us then felt the mountain and shrank like a scared turtle.  Out here we are stuck at the nickel machines.

64/58 this AM.  Quite nice.   Precip to the west already drying up per the meso's suggesting that would happen.   Other than the RGEM, the rest of the models are quiet in the LSV for today...outside a random Meso Monday AM, a very dry period upcoming as modeled.   Hope the models are wrong (again) with today and we get a late afternoon line.   On the GFS, many areas get little to no rain through August 10th.    Euro and CMC are mostly dry after today until 7 days out so not as "bad". 

Low of 71 here. I actually got a couple of batches of moderate rain after the initial line of storms last night. All in all, it added up to another solid haul of .65”.  There may be some additional isolated winners later this afternoon before cooler air arrives during the overnight. I will be up in Morgantown most of the day and will be sure to update if there is any activity up ‘er. Toodles. 

49 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

Thats a huge contrast in a relatively short distance. 

I talk about my grass, most of them have St Augustine which will require all night irrigation 3-4 days a week or it dies....it does not really go into hibernation, it just dies with no rain or irrigation even in the winter.  it needs less water in the winter.      Most people who grow grass there have the irrigation systems; it is just so very expensive.  When I was doing it was 20-30 dollars per night so some of those people are paying over $500 a month to keep their grass alive. 

• Like 1

64/58 this AM.  Quite nice.   Precip to the west already drying up per the meso's suggesting that would happen.   Other than the RGEM, the rest of the models are quiet in the LSV for today...outside a random Meso Monday AM, a very dry period upcoming as modeled.   Hope the models are wrong (again) with today and we get a late afternoon line.   On the GFS, many areas get little to no rain through August 10th.    Euro and CMC are mostly dry after today until 7 days out so not as "bad". 
Some of the other NWS locations near us are lamenting over the extreme run to run inconsistentcy of all the meso models. So much so where they are whole sale throwing them out and hand drawing precipitation totals and rain probability.

1 minute ago, Jns2183 said:

Some of the other NWS locations near us are lamenting over the extreme run to run inconsistentcy of all the meso models. So much so where they are whole sale throwing them out and hand drawing precipitation totals and rain probability.

It has been very bad.  Outside maybe timing of event, and even that has not been good, the average day has featured very low model scores and inability to use them for too much detail.  With that said, they scored the victory on the last flood watches issued. 

This summer has showed me just how much work needs to be done on the meso models in convection rich environments. For NWS offices to admit in afd of their futility and frustration with them as well as to throwing them all out and "hand drawing", haha. Those are some shots across the bow maybe to the model division. I saw Scott is on his way back up near us. Maybe he can shed some light eventually on the model mayhem.

Just now, Jns2183 said:

This summer has showed me just how much work needs to be done on the meso models in convection rich environments. For NWS offices to admit in afd of their futility and frustration with them as well as to throwing them all out and "hand drawing", haha. Those are some shots across the bow maybe to the model division. I saw Scott is on his way back up near us. Maybe he can shed some light eventually on the model mayhem.

Step 1).  Do NOT turn anything off in lieu of the Fv3.  (Unless something else is coming to give it a boost).   The Wrf-furls are better. 

I think the last thing I read was that the Nam's and Hrrr and maybe the wrf-fuls were being turned off in lieu of it.  LOL. 
That's going to get pushed back awhile. If not we can just think of it like a throwback to the 1980s and enjoy the massive surprises

• Haha 1

Most spots exceeded the 90 degree mark yesterday across Chesco...exceptions being KMQS Coatesville Airport and of course here in East Nantmeal where 86.8 was the best we could do. My Ambient model station only made it to 86.2 (although my rooftop station did hit 90.9). It appears most spots will not hit 90 degrees today. In fact looking ahead it appears yesterday may have been our last 90 degree day for the summer. It looks like here in East Nantmeal we will fail to have reached 90 degrees in summer for the first time since 2015 and for the 4th time in the last 20 years! The other years we failed to touch 90 degrees were 2004, and 2014. More thunderstorms are possible tonight as sharp cold front approaches and moves through the County. Some incredibly comfortable weather moves in this week with most days featuring highs in the 70's and lows in the 50's - a chance to give the AC a break!!
Records for today: High 101 (1901) / Low 47 (1956) / Rain 2.48" (1976)
image.png.b41a558764e5e388891d3249f84e6868.png