• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA Summer 2023

1 minute ago, CoralRed said:

Not me up here in Williamsport. Just checked and before noon Montoursville Airport is down for .45 and for afternoon .08. But I knew we didn't get that much this morning and I checked two Williamsport weather stations on Wunderground: .11 and .16 earlier this afternoon before my nap. 

So about .5 for Montoursville and .25 for us five miles away, assuming we also got the .08. 

Whatever else we get isn't going to make much difference. Lots of days have rain in 10 day forecast, two about .5 so farmers have something to look forward to.

Ugh I am sorry - was hoping this was a forum wide pleaser 

28 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

I was very curious of what kind of consistent weather co-op footprint your valley has. Is this wide variance just random or if there is a record of this in the summer going back 50+ years. I can see topographicly how the ridges either side of you can screw with convection creating a rain shadow, but your comment about being above KMDT in winter threw me for a loop. I know miller b screw zones are statistically not far to your west so it left me wondering what type of systems producing what type of precipitation from what angle do you excel at?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I have been here 5.5 years so only have that much history but my neighbor, a farmer, says we are in a permanent summer drought.  The farmer warned be about the Great Valley and how it will rob near obvious rain every summer and he was pretty spot on.  See map below.   The rain shadow effect as you call it.  My closest NWS Station does average about 9" LESS of precip per year than MDT does but I have found I almost always outpace them in the winter because of the high propensity of non-convection-based systems pushing WAA in from the SW.  Being on the windward side of the mountain, the rain/snow is wrung out over my rapidly rising elevation.  The Great Valley has much less of an effect on non-convection forcing qpf.  So, it is fairly rare when we get a WAA event from the SW that I get less qpf than MDT.  Usually, it is more.  I think overall I average about 2-3" less qpf than MDT over a year....more in the winter and less in the summer. 

Great Appalachian Valley - Wikipedia

• Like 1

I have been here 5.5 years so only have that much history but my neighbor, a farmer, says we are in a permanent summer drought.  The farmer warned be about the Great Valley and how it will rob near obvious rain every summer and he was pretty spot on.  See map below.   The rain shadow effect as you call it.  My closest NWS Station does average about 9" LESS of precip per year than MDT does but I have found I almost always outpace them in the winter because of the high propensity of non-convection-based systems pushing WAA in from the SW.  Being on the windward side of the mountain, the rain/snow is wrung out over my rapidly rising elevation.  The Great Valley has much less of an effect on non-convection forcing qpf.  So, it is fairly rare when we get a WAA event from the SW that I get less qpf than MDT.  Usually, it is more.  I think overall I average about 2-3" less qpf than MDT over a year....more in the winter and less in the summer. 

Greatvalley-map.png

I definitely do not know enough to know how convection is influenced by your location. For winter events I feel it may be related to the location of lows strengthen at all levels is further south, with midlevels or more important in WAA events. I'm sure the heights change by season with the low level jet and the answer lies in the mix of all these. From what I seen you do best when precipitation is already blossoming south and moving in like is common in WAA. These past few storms precipitation has blown up overhead or back build south. Regardless these local variations are fascinating

• Like 1

Just now, Jns2183 said:

I definitely do not know enough to know how convection is influenced by your location. For winter events I feel it may be related to the location of lows strengthen at all levels is further south, with midlevels or more important in WAA events. I'm sure the heights change by season with the low level jet and the answer lies in the mix of all these. From what I seen you do best when precipitation is already blossoming south and moving in like is common in WAA. These past few storms precipitation has blown up overhead or back build south. Regardless these local variations are fascinating

It helps keep Blizz on his toes when I post about it :-).  On your point, just the orientation of the precip with WAA is usually SW to NE where as many of these convection based events either have little steering flow or go straight west to east.  Both of the later will be more profoundly affected by Leeward Rain Shadow issues.  Take today, the rain over Waynesboro formed right over the area so no chance for it to dry out entering the valley...but look who did not do well?  The people immediately Leeward of my ridge. 

23 minutes ago, canderson said:

Ugh I am sorry - was hoping this was a forum wide pleaser 

That's the way it goes sometimes. I am just glad we got what we did. It is funny to think as I wrote early this morning that we literally started out strong with a bang -- from nothing to thunder and good rain -- and went downhill after that when others got so much.

That's the way it goes sometimes. I am just glad we got what we did. It is funny to think as I wrote early this morning that we literally started out strong with a bang -- from nothing to thunder and good rain -- and went downhill after that when others got so much.
How are you YTD vs normal

45 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Final total in Maytown - 1.81"

Orioles finish the 1st half on a roll. Tied with Tampa in the loss column.

40 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Final tally here of 1.8”.  Seems like the perfect amount. All grass and shrubbery is happy. 

Pretty remarkable that a rain of that nature produced almost identical amounts. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jns2183 said:

I don't know how accurate this is but insane differences dc4f0124c4e0b154aff3f8225c185261.jpg

If you saw that Michaux brew pic I put up, over a single mile it went from Florida monsoon to me standing there dry in Rouville.  It rained a good hour plus about 2" one mile west from there with no rain in. that locale.   Then the rain that did eventually get here, never really went past Blue Ridge just to the east.

1 hour ago, Jns2183 said:

How are you YTD vs normal

Sorry I cannot tell you. I know we were down and that unlike others here for the past month or so, we have had not had very much. We are not in a crisis of course but this is the fourth summer we have had noticeably more sunny days and less rain and grey skies than normal  in Williamsport. That Canadian smoke turned many sunny days this past month to hazy or worse doesn't change our real weather, it just covers it up.

I hardly ever carry my umbrella anymore. Part of that is me walking less and taking bus more but still, it is so strange.

51 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I ended up with 1.60 today.

Just joking around here….I thought that you said that MDT doesn’t matter? Lol!

Haha, fair enough. :)

But that is still my point. Whether they get much more, a little more, a little less, a lot less...what really matters is what I get, and what you get. I got almost 2" of rain today and just because MDT got far less...it was still almost 2" in my yard. 

• Like 2