• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer 2023

Really good description of them. 
I swear, anytime we get a general south/north motion in summer we end up with efficient rain producers and more training issues than not.

I also think the reason that storm a few weeks ago that hit us from the North East caused so much tree damage, aside from hail, was the wind direction being so unique and trees that are weaknesses from winds in that direction being exposed for the first time in a long while.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

12Z HRRR and 3K through Saturday daylight which is when most of the weekend rain would fall.  Winners and losers look.   Could be mostly over until next week for some of the unlucky which is me in both these depictions but still have hope for a bit more. 

image.thumb.png.966b14aaac6acbae6add1c805cd73451.png

image.thumb.png.1169679bcdf7bbb4eabeee436d32423c.png
Just from looking at the topography by you, your mean yearly rainfall has to be a few inches below KMDT from rain shadow effects

16 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Just from looking at the topography by you, your mean yearly rainfall has to be a few inches below KMDT from rain shadow effects

Not sure about year but summer, I agree.  Anything convective moving west to east has to deal with the Valley to my west as it passes out of the Allegheny's.   I see a lot of disappearing stuff as it gets closer.     I am fine with the .4" so far.  More rain next week hopefully.   I think I average a good 25% more than MDT in the winter as I live over 800' and rapidly rising (~1900' less than 5 min away) and wring out a lot of these systems that comes at us from the southwest.  

Not sure about year but summer, I agree.  Anything convective moving west to east has to deal with the Valley to my west as it passes out of the Allegheny's.   I see a lot of disappearing stuff as it gets closer.     I am fine with the .4" so far.  More rain next week hopefully.   I think I average a good 25% more than MDT in the winter as I live over 800' and rapidly rising (~2000' less than 5 min away) and wring out a lot of these systems that comes at us from the southwest.  
Do you know any good online resources to teach me how to read all the products produced by mesoanalysis. I'm tired of feeling like a toddler trying to decipher calculus

Ppp0fffa05c8998201634b69a61e19df0b5.jpg

I'm not familiar with this chart. It looks topographical to me. Are the rings indicative of pressure or precipitation? Because that would make me think ducks are about to head to the Southtowns.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Jns2183 said:

Do you know any good online resources to teach me how to read all the products produced by mesoanalysis. I'm tired of feeling like a toddler trying to decipher calculus

I always look up stuff a-la-carte when I read it (map specific) then forget and have to go back.  Maybe someone knows of good tutorials for a larger scale read into it.   This page has a lot of info. https://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/help/begin.html

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

I'm not familiar with this chart. It looks topographical to me. Are the rings indicative of pressure or precipitation? Because that would make me think ducks are about to head to the Southtowns.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Precipitation Potential Placement

Precipitation Potential Placement is a derived parameter combining precipitable water and low-level mean RH to help better place where rainfall will occur. Research has been published in the National Weather Association Digest in 2003 and stems from research and operational use of this product originally developed at NESDIS and Rod Scofield for satellite rainfall estimates dating back to 1981.

Rainfall is usually maximized where the best low level convergence and instability overlay with the highest values for this parameter.

The risk for heavy rainfall increases as values go up. Additionally, thresholds for precipitation also change based on temperatures. Onset of rainfall ranges from around 0.3 inches with temperatures below 30 to 1.0 inches above 80. Values above 1.0-1.4 inches with temperatures below 60 usually increase the risk for heavy rainfall while values above 1.6-2.0 inches increase the risk for heavy rainfall events with temperatures above 60.

For more information, see:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/research/finalPP2.htm

So you know those unprecedented tropical storms in the eastern Atlantic? Apparently the remnants of Cindy may get close or even have its moisture entrained into the northeast and add more to the rain. Would be pretty hilarious if after having such a dry year and almost no rain for weeks at a time that we also get the remnants of a tropical storm amplifying all the rain we're supposed to get lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jns2183 said:

Habby's site is one of the best meteorological learning tools you'll ever find.  Can be a bit messy but has it all, and in an easy-to-understand fashion to boot. 

https://www.theweatherprediction.com/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Some fairly thick irony there...getting soaked while removing the pump, which was there for the drought, because you fear for a flood. 

Yes, all the water level has to do is rise 3 ft and the cart that the pump is on the wheels would be in the water. Plus where the pump is located it is besides the rapids. It wouldn't be fun trying to get it out after dark.Better to be safe then sorry.

• Like 1

I guess I've been on the luckier side for precip totals.  Thursday = 0.15"; Friday = 0.64"; Saturday (today so far) = 0.66" for a 3-day total of 1.55".  My brown grass has rapidly greened up.  My high yesterday was only 62.6 with a low of 56.2.  The high temp was nearly 20 degrees below normal for the date.  Today it has warmed up to 67.3 for the current high.  Right now it's just overcast with no rain falling.   Meso charts aren't showing too much more going out to Monday with only an additional 0.3".  We'll see about that.

• Like 1

I have been completely screwed here all day, fringed in every way imaginable on all sides with every cell or band.  Serves me right for staying positive haha.  Glad to see others are making out well though. 
Our needed precipitation is all up and down route 95. Was thinking something like that would happen just judging by radar and mesoanalysis this morning knowing the upper low was slowly drifting east. Just happy to score 1/2" this morning. I thought some there was a chance for enough breaks in the clouds to get some cape to set up storms, but it's been thick cover all day and even the mountains are convection free