• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2023 OBS Thread

JTA66

With the 0.43 earlier, July total here is 5.70". Not bad, kept things pretty green heading into August. Not sure if I've been this enthusiastic about a cold front during the summer before, not because of severe weather potential,  but for the apparent longevity of the upcoming cool spell. Don't recall a forecast like this for the 1st week of August, with highs from 80 to 83 for the next week. Yes!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

With the 0.43 earlier, July total here is 5.70". Not bad, kept things pretty green heading into August. Not sure if I've been this enthusiastic about a cold front during the summer before, not because of severe weather potential,  but for the apparent longevity of the upcoming cool spell. Don't recall a forecast like this for the 1st week of August, with highs from 80 to 83 for the next week. Yes!

The gusty winds that arrived tonight following the front that swept through felt more like the typical change of pattern we usually get late August / early September. While it is most likely anomalous and no where near to being our somewhat seasonal pattern change, it does feel nice.  Speaking of anomalies, 13.51" for me this July. Still have water in the bottom of the dry sump well. I remain trepidatious concerning future rain events. Turns out, a house on a hill can still flood, which was a sobering wake-up call for sure.

• Like 2

89F for a high today, so no “heatwave” here. Regardless, it was still a bad hair week. :rolleyes:

AC off with a refreshing breeze blowing through. Final items still to check off on the summer list are hearing katydids and seeing cicada killers.

• Like 1

Made it up to 91 for a high yesterday before the front came through, making for my 3rd 90+ in a row, and 12th 90+ day for the month and season so far. Final rain tally was a somewhat sparse 0.13.  Total rain for July has been 6.88" to date.

Bottomed out at 64 (coolest low for the month so far) and it's currently a mostly sunny 76 with no steamy windows, a lot of blue sky, a few small cumulus clouds, and a dp below 60 for a change, at 59.

A beauty of a day on tap for today with high temperatures remaining below normal in the 70's. Some spots in the County may not see an 80 degree temp again until next Saturday. In additional to cooler than normal daytime temps the nightime lows will be in the 50's Monday through Wednesday night. The first day our average low temperatures return to the 50's in not until September 1st. In fact if the GFS model is to be believed we should see below normal temperatures continuing through at least Mid-August!

image.thumb.png.11a2f8e03016c03875e9f905667e29cc.png

July average temperatures will finish within 0.2 to 0.6 degrees above normal at Glenmoore, KMQS Airport and East Nantmeal with all locales as expected showing this July at about the middle of all time temperature ranking for all recorded months of July. However, at all locations the summer months of June and July so far are near the top of the chilliest ones on record. This includes KMQS with their 3rd coldest June/July since records started in 2008 and East Nantmeal/Coatesville with about the 18th coldest June/July on record since 1894!!

This morning's low of 59.6 was the first time we have reached the 50's since June 29th. A good chance many areas will see lows in the 50's the next 3 mornings. Today looks to be the only chance some areas hit 80 degrees this work week.
Records for today: High 102 degrees (1954) / Low 48 degrees (1895) / Rain 2.49" (1992)
image.png.7573227f6d3a38d5ae6f9c5be8167b4a.png

Had my lowest "low" of the month on this last day of it, with a 61.  My high actually made it up to 85 after reluctantly creeping up to it.  Definitely another fantastic summer day without the humidity.

Currently partly sunny and 79 with dp 58.

1 hour ago, CoolHandMike said:

Looks to me on GOES that the smoke monster might be ready for Round 3. I sure hope  I'm wrong.

8dH7s44.png

eriTqrz.png

Hope not.  My outdoor PM2.5 meter has been registering low (green) today (at least so far) although the sky is a bit hazy. Could be that if there is smoke advecting out of Canada to here, it's way up high.

We finished July at just slightly above normal temperature wise at both KMQS Coatesville Airport (+0.4) and at East Nantmeal (+0.3).
Beautiful weather continues the next couple of days to start August with high temps both days remaining in the 70's. We stay cool on Thursday but rain chances increase by Thursday late day. Early peek at the weekend looks nice with continued temps running slightly below levels for early August in Chester County,
Records for Today: High 98 (2002) / Low 47 (1895) / Rain 1.57" (1973)
image.png.d59ca8ea54c13f0324000dc7a90c598b.png

On 7/31/2023 at 7:44 AM, JTA66 said:

Heard my first katydid last night. It was also the first night in weeks I had the AC off and windows open, so maybe they've been out there for awhile and I hadn't noticed.

62F/DP 60F

They have..heard my first about a 1-2 weeks ago considering we're a stone throw away.

Starting to think we'll get through a "not bad" (heat) summer...

79F/DP 51F

Bottomed out at 64 this morning, a wee bit warmer than yesterday morning and only made it to 81 for a high.  Possibly one more nice summer day before the humidity returns.  Currently 68 with dp 55.

4 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Weenie alert!

First(thoughts)winter prediction I've seen just popped up/seen. Ryan Hall, Y'all....who knows.

80F/DP 53F

LOL

Will be interesting how it will go with the El Nino, where the strength of it definitely might have some impacts.

5 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Weenie alert!

First(thoughts)winter prediction I've seen just popped up/seen. Ryan Hall, Y'all....who knows.

80F/DP 53F

I'm here for the hype, but his percentage prediction map was just, well, like duh. Newsflash! Chicago or Boston ends up with the highest chance of a winter storm! I like (and highly respect) Ryan Hall but this was not exactly earth-shattering weather reporting. Still... sign me up?

Sweatshirt weather tonight, definitely enjoying it while it lasts. This seems suspiciously like false fall imho, though quite early to boot. 65°F out right now. I'll take it.

On 7/31/2023 at 7:36 PM, Hurricane Agnes said:

Had my lowest "low" of the month on this last day of it, with a 61.  My high actually made it up to 85 after reluctantly creeping up to it.  Definitely another fantastic summer day without the humidity.

Currently partly sunny and 79 with dp 58.

Hope not.  My outdoor PM2.5 meter has been registering low (green) today (at least so far) although the sky is a bit hazy. Could be that if there is smoke advecting out of Canada to here, it's way up high.

I am down here in Kitty Hawk, NC and drove to Jockey's Ridge down in Nags Head, NC for sunset and the smoke is clearly here.  Also, pretty cool down here for Outer Banks Standards 75 degrees at sunset.

43 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Bottomed out at 64 this morning, a wee bit warmer than yesterday morning and only made it to 81 for a high.  Possibly one more nice summer day before the humidity returns.  Currently 68 with dp 55.

LOL

Will be interesting how it will go with the El Nino, where the strength of it definitely might have some impacts.

I think the seeds of the winter pattern are already in place just bring up the water vapor map and see the current pattern all systems go for southern jet storms to ride up the east coast. 

24 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

I'm here for the hype, but his percentage prediction map was just, well, like duh. Newsflash! Chicago or Boston ends up with the highest chance of a winter storm! I like (and highly respect) Ryan Hall but this was not exactly earth-shattering weather reporting. Still... sign me up?

Sweatshirt weather tonight, definitely enjoying it while it lasts. This seems suspiciously like false fall imho, though quite early to boot. 65°F out right now. I'll take it.

Hmmm I heard of Big Daddy snowstorms from another outlet shouldn't that be copyrighted? LOL