Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2023 OBS Thread

JTA66

2 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

.45 in with afternoon thunderstorm- typical afternoon garden variety but no hail or wind gusts over 20 mph. Already going NE into Allentown and Bethlehem. Sun coming out 

I was wondering if any part of your place was under that (kept looking up that way). :lol:

I ended up with a high of 91 and it's currently mostly cloudy and 83 with dp 74.

kdix_20230714_2329_BR_0.5.png

Oops, posted this in the MA sub by mistake.

I haven't posted all week since I've been travelling for work and not doing much else besides sleeping and eating. So here's a recap of my PWS:

image.png.4eefe08136964fb70b7e871d11e12220.png

It's HOT. And it was nearly the same in Newark, NJ all week. I've worked in hotter weather, under worse conditions, but this week was a doozy. I am beat.

But hey, at least our boil water advisory was lifted earlier today, so that's nice. There IS still 5" of water at the bottom of my dry sump well though, so that's a bit disconcerting. The new pump works though, and is temporarily installed with a hose running up to the washer drain in the garage. I plan to plumb it in all nice-like this weekend.

Well I bottomed out at 74 this morning and am already a mostly sunny 88, with dp 76, and with scattered cumulus.  I have so far counted 7, 90+ degree days this season, with 1 in June and 6 so far in July.

Just stepped outside briefly on my patio and heard my first cicada just chirping away. It's like a blast furnace out there ("feels like" is 99 on my weather station  console :huh:).

Today in Chester County weather history back in 1988 we hit the 100 degree mark for the first time since 1966. Since 1988 we have hit the 100 degree mark only 1 time - that was on August 2, 2002. We have reached the century mark a total of 41 times since 1894. In the 40 years since observations began at elevations above 640 feet (1983) we have experienced only 2 such days. The decade with the most 100 degree days was the 1st decade of the 1900's with 13 days over 100 degrees! There were no 100 degree days recorded in the 1920's / 1970's / 1990's/ 2010's or so far in the 2020's. Not only will we not see a 100 degree day this month...I don't see any chances for a 90 degree day across most of the county during the rest of July. This will continue our streak of no 90+ days since June 30, 2021. Rain chances ramp up by tomorrow AM with some models showing 1.5" to 2" of rain.
Records for today: High 100 (1998) Low 50 (1895) / Rain 1.76" (1926)
image.png.0ef44cdbc2b37a7d32be455f276699f2.png

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

We're going to get screwed w/this blob unless it turns a quick right/east...

90F/DP 75F/Dark clouds to the W

screwed2.jpg

I was out and came home to wet ground, so something happened. My temp is down to 83F but the DP remains an atrocious 77F.

Just got a quick third of an inch. I was trapped in the car in the driveway with my groceries, really needing to use the bathroom. (The garage is full of projects in various stages. Dangit.) Thankfully it let up after a few minutes, but damn. I'll have to periodically check the sump to see if any of that percolates down to the water table.

I really want to get some kind of remote sensor so I can data-log how it does over time. It's a part of my house that seemed like a harmless unknown, until it very much wasn't. Maybe I'll see if I can rig something up with a RasPi Zero or something...

• Like 1