Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Banter 2023

George BM

27 minutes ago, H2O said:

Standard depth for water mains was 4’. Deeper than that was called over depth and the contractor charged more so every attempt was made to be at 4’. Gas was supposed to be min 3’ along with electric and telephone. Cable was notorious for being more shallow. 

Even at 4’ water mains here are subject to the impacts of the freeze thaw cycle. Most main breaks were between Nov-Mar due to the heaving of the soil. Part of what we did was replacing the older mains that became more prone to breaks from cold weather. 

Good to know - thanks for the insight.  Know all too well what you mean about cable and phone.  Sliced through our twisted pair before with a round point shovel some years ago.  Verizon would not fix it because we already had fiber.  Then a few years after that sliced through the fiber because it was only a few inches below grade.  They installed a temp fiber cable above ground until they could bury a new permanent line.  Kept the temp cable for the next time.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RDM said:

H2O,

Always hoped that FF Water was working with VDOT on scheduling repairs around paying schedules for the reason you raised (not sure if you worked for FF Water or another org).  Seen a lot of examples that implied that coordination was a bit askew.  

A question....   That's a really nice looking trench MN Transplant posted.  Looks to be about 2 feet deep - or so.  What is the standard depth for water mains around here?  Someone told me it is 2 feet, but that seems shallow.  Nat Gas is 2' min depth according to Wash Gas rep.  Back home in Ohio H2O and Nat Gas depth is 4'.  (much colder there).  

Had major issues back in 78 when we didn't get above freezing for over a month.  The frost line got down to below 5 feet, which burst a lot of mains.  Trying to fix a broken main when the ambient temps are below 0F must be one of the most miserable jobs ever.  

The trench was definitely on the order of 4' deep.  The guys who were down in there were up to their chests.  Our gas lines must have been deeper because they only had to dig around the existing water supply line to the house and not the gas line.

15 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

The trench was definitely on the order of 4' deep.  The guys who were down in there were up to their chests.  Our gas lines must have been deeper because they only had to dig around the existing water supply line to the house and not the gas line.

Good to know - thanks.  Was looking at the compactor in the background for a comparison, but that can be deceiving too.  Appreciate the update on the depth. 

14 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

NFL is weird. Both sides are weird and I'm weard for talking about it. The Lamar thing is so awkward, yeah he wants 1/4 billion dollars lol. Wish he can repeat that 3TD-rushing game from his rookie season against Cleveland, flipping into the endzone. 

I remember when he flipped against KC and hurt himself. I’m a fan of winning, but do it with humility.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
On 4/23/2023 at 10:28 AM, 09-10 analogy said:

That's one of the few parts of the movie I didn't like: how easily the Lord of the Nazgul, who was basically a rogue Numenorean with a neat ring, schooled Gandalf. Gandalf, especially in his reincarnation as the White, was a demigod, more or less, in the class of Sauron himself; both were Maiar, after all. In the book JRRT left their confrontation at the gate unresolved, as the LOTN was called away by the arrival of the Rohirrim right before they threw down. Maybe, amped up by Sauron's power, the LOTN would have prevailed over Gandalf, but he wouldn't have been much use afterwards. As the Grey, Gandalf beat the Balrog: another Maiar. As the White, in the book and movie, he broke Saurman, another Maiar and formerly the head of the wizards' order, rather easily. So I really think Gandalf wouldn't have had that much trouble with the LOTN, who was after all just a man with an extraordinarily powerful trinket. (After all, as the Grey, Gandalf held off six or seven Nazgul on Weathertop, and they "retreated before my wrath.") It certainly wouldn't have been the squash match Peter Jackson made it. Sorry about the tirade but this scene took away from what was, otherwise, a fantastic rendition of the books. 

nerd

also: great post, agree

If anyone was curious about my situation:

My interview went very well last week, in my opinion at least. I have not heard back or know anything yet. I'm sure the selection was made, but it's in someone else's hands now. Finishing up my stretch of mids this morning. Traveling to a wedding this weekend with my wife. I'll report back if I find out anything. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 9