Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23

BxEngine

14 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I didn't know it covered 250 acres and they have an Alice in Wonderland themed giant topiary going on there? I am partial to the giant March Hare topiary!

Question-- why is it called New York Botanical Garden when it's in The Bronx? Why not call it The Bronx Botanical Garden? We have one in Brooklyn and it's called The Brooklyn Botanical Garden.

Some images related to the Alice in Wonderland theme:

image.jpeg.b4373791454b49da4d5f6e0237ab8a77.jpeg

image.jpeg.9a6fab6719a04681909685cf37310c46.jpeg

image.jpeg.5deced9989ee836fff5f0fa48143cd5d.jpeg

Note: The bricks are made from mushrooms

image.jpeg.16bf89161d8955170f3026cdaf1a57e4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Magnificent photos Don. I hope the fellow in the last photo puts out a cold season forecast. Liberty as to your question I guess it’s the same reason the Bronx bombers are called the New York Yankees. Or it may have been the first one established in the city ergo the name. Not sure because I didn’t search. Stay well all, as always ….

• Like 2

On 5/19/2024 at 9:59 PM, donsutherland1 said:

Thanks so much Don, if you have more pictures of that magical place, please feel free to share!  It doesn't even feel like being in the city or even in New York, to be there!

7 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Thanks so much Don, if you have more pictures of that magical place, please feel free to share!  It doesn't even feel like being in the city or even in New York, to be there!

I will get more pictures in coming weeks.

• Thanks 1

Some are now trying to recast Winter 2023-2024 as "one of the coldest on record" in the Northeastern U.S. In fact, Winter 2023-2024 edged out Winter 2001-2002 as the warmest on record in the Northeast. It was also among the least snowy ones on record. As a result, Boston reached 816 consecutive days without 4" daily snowfall today (old record: 711 days).

image.png.b43e4f6921a368da239b62901a59c59c.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Some are now trying to recast Winter 2023-2024 as "one of the coldest on record" in the Northeastern U.S. In fact, Winter 2023-2024 edged out Winter 2001-2002 as the warmest on record in the Northeast. It was also among the least snowy ones on record. As a result, Boston reached 816 consecutive days without 4" daily snowfall today (old record: 711 days).

This is one random person who's post got 3 likes and less than 500 views in 10+ hours?  I wouldn't say "some", it is one post plucked randomly.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Was just thinking about when we’d see the next EF5. I had heard / read some criticisms that the NWS essentially redefined the damage necessary to classify a tornado as an EF5 as to be almost impossible. Basically it was stated that many historic EF and F5’s would be an EF4 with the new survey methods employed. 

Don’t know how valid that is, but the arguments I saw made sense in context and with examples. 

A few of the EF4’s since Moore would probably have been an EF5 with the less strict survey methods. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Was just thinking about when we’d see the next EF5. I had heard / read some criticisms that the NWS essentially redefined the damage necessary to classify a tornado as an EF5 as to be almost impossible. Basically it was stated that many historic EF and F5’s would be an EF4 with the new survey methods employed. 

Don’t know how valid that is, but the arguments I saw made sense in context and with examples. 

A few of the EF4’s since Moore would probably have been an EF5 with the less strict survey methods. 

No one has been able to answer this for me.... why did they create an entirely new scale? Why not just plug in the EF values into the old F scale, I actually like that scale much better.

4 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

No one has been able to answer this for me.... why did they create an entirely new scale? Why not just plug in the EF values into the old F scale, I actually like that scale much better.

As best I understand it was due to engineering reasons, they determined the old F rating wind speeds were exaggerated for the damage they indicated (IE lesser winds produced equivalent damage). Hence they changed to the Enhanced Fujita. 

However I heard somewhere after the April 2011 super outbreak they began changing the criteria / damage thresholds that would allow a tornado to be classified as an EF5, and I heard essentially that the requirements are so strict as to be nearly impossible. It had lots of engineering arguments that are above me, but I thought it was interesting. They were suggesting we wouldn’t be seeing many EF5’s in the future with this new method solely for giving out an EF5 rating. Again, don’t know how ultimately valid this is but it was compellingly presented. I’ll look for the page I saw this on and link it if I can come across it. Has a lot of analysis of the mid to late 2010’s EF4’s that maybe could’ve been EF5 strength. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

wow thanks Don, these are absolutely stunning!

I wonder what the Cheshire Cat looks like :-)

The Cheshire Cat is a costumed character who walks around the Garden during parts of the day. I have not yet run into it.

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2024 at 9:42 AM, donsutherland1 said:

My historically low heating oil bill this past winter would disagree with the above statement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Volcanic Winter said:

As best I understand it was due to engineering reasons, they determined the old F rating wind speeds were exaggerated for the damage they indicated (IE lesser winds produced equivalent damage). Hence they changed to the Enhanced Fujita. 

However I heard somewhere after the April 2011 super outbreak they began changing the criteria / damage thresholds that would allow a tornado to be classified as an EF5, and I heard essentially that the requirements are so strict as to be nearly impossible. It had lots of engineering arguments that are above me, but I thought it was interesting. They were suggesting we wouldn’t be seeing many EF5’s in the future with this new method solely for giving out an EF5 rating. Again, don’t know how ultimately valid this is but it was compellingly presented. I’ll look for the page I saw this on and link it if I can come across it. Has a lot of analysis of the mid to late 2010’s EF4’s that maybe could’ve been EF5 strength. 

I would like to get away from an engineering based scale and back to a scientific meteorological based one.  When do you think we will be able to get accurate wind speeds based on radar so we don't need a damage based scale and have one based on actual wind speeds like we have with hurricanes?

On 5/19/2024 at 7:05 AM, LibertyBell said:

I didn't know it covered 250 acres and they have an Alice in Wonderland themed giant topiary going on there? I am partial to the giant March Hare topiary!

Question-- why is it called New York Botanical Garden when it's in The Bronx? Why not call it The Bronx Botanical Garden? We have one in Brooklyn and it's called The Brooklyn Botanical Garden.

Bronx is very much in New York City. Most of the Bronx and all of Manhattan were in the original, pre-December 31, 1897 NYC; Queens (a collection of villages), Brooklyn (in its own right the second or third largest US City at the time) and Staten Island (a collection of villages) were added effective January 1, 1898, the birthday of NYC as we know it.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, JBG said:

Bronx is very much in New York City. Most of the Bronx and all of Manhattan were in the original, pre-December 31, 1897 NYC; Queens (a collection of villages), Brooklyn (in its own right the second or third largest US City at the time) and Staten Island (a collection of villages) were added effective January 1, 1898, the birthday of NYC as we know it.

The Brooklyn Dodgers predate that 1/1/1898 date don't they JBG?

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

The Brooklyn Dodgers predate that 1/1/1898 date don't they JBG?

I actually never knew that. They were originally the Brooklyn Atlantics. Everything changed with the creation of the subway system, which fueled the amalgamation of modern NYC.

• Thanks 1

High quantities of highly toxic carcinogen 1,4-Dioxane has been found in the Town of Hempstead in all 9 water treatment plants and the Town is asking for $55 million dollars from the federal government to build a new water treatment plant (the other ones were built in 1932!) to clean the water of this toxic chemical that causes kidney and liver cancers with hydrogen peroxide.  If it doesn't get the money our taxes will be going up (this is well worth it.)

• Like 1