Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Winter/ENSO Disco

40/70 Benchmark

9 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I know people are worried about this being strong but give me EL Nino anyway over La Nina.

Yes.

In the last super Nino you killed it with one monster blizzard in Jan 2016.  

And in a sea of warmth.. we broke an all time low record on the night of Saturday February 13th, into the morning of the 14th of that same year(2016). 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Yes.

In the last super Nino you killed it with one monster blizzard in Jan 2016.  

And in a sea of warmth.. we broke an all time low record on the night of Saturday February 13th, into the morning of the 14th of that same year(2016). 

30 inches that storm in 2016

27 hours of gold falling from the sky.  I remember I was working during that storm and my rmp got suck so I had to walk about 20 blocks to get to the precinct from where I was lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MJO812 said:

30 inches that storm in 2016

27 hours of gold falling from the sky.  I remember I was working during that storm and my rmp got suck so I had to walk about 20 blocks to get to the precinct from where I was lol

Ahhh ya…you killed it with that one!  I was on the northern fringe of the heavy stuff, but still managed to get 10-12 inches. A couple days prior we were supposed to be shut out.  But then it crept a bit north.   If you went just 20 plus miles south and west it went up dramatically.  And then even more than that Southwest of there where the southwest corner of CT was into the big stuff. 

Conversely, if you went just 15-20 miles northeast of me…it went down dramatically also to just 3-4 inches. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

Thanks a lot, seems to me, there is something wrong, because when I click on the link, the website shows your article of 12th of august about the polar vortex.;)

I think the odds are fairly strong that we will see a PV take shape in a couple of months, but let me know if you feel differently.

I'm hoping to be able to string together an outlook or at least some thoughts by the end of September or early October. While I did have some hope that despite a strong Nino, we could see a pretty decent winter, some of that hope is slipping away, but that is just super general thoughts right now. I think it comes down to the Arctic and how much support we can get via blocking but I am slightly leaning towards the direction of very little support in this regard, but maybe we'd had some room earlier in winter. This is very basic and super generic thought though. I am hoping to be able to ramp into things over the next month (so long the tropics stay quiet...or at least we don't see any major US threats). 

25 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I don’t get the angst with the upcoming winter.  After last year, it can’t get any worse..we at the bottom already. Can only go up for most of SNE..except Hub Dave. 

ehhh unfortunately, we can do worse than last winter...not saying we will but we have seen worse.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

ehhh unfortunately, we can do worse than last winter...not saying we will but we have seen worse.

I haven’t seen worse that I can remember..?  12” on the season is pretty bad. So I’ll have to disagree there. Sure we can see 6” this season and it’d be worse, but I have a better shot of winning the lottery imo. Ain’t gonna happen. We will do better this year for sure. 

5 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

I don’t get the angst with the upcoming winter.  After last year, it can’t get any worse..we at the bottom already. Can only go up for most of SNE..except Hub Dave. 

I don’t think it’s quite as bad inland, but for my area I think it will be another dud winter. Super nino sucks here.

9 hours ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

What I mean is this. Please the read the link. 

Schermafbeelding 2023-08-26 210921.jpg

What is your issue with that title? I have no clue what you are getting at...preliminary analysis of the polar domain for winter..IOW, my first thoughts about what the polar area may or may not look like this winter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

What is your issue with that title? I have no clue what you are getting at...preliminary analysis of the polar domain for winter..IOW, my first thoughts about what the polar area may or may not look like this winter.

The link says preliminary analysis of extra tropical, I get don't get this but  instead polar vortex analysis. 

So, the title says A, but I get to see B. 

5 hours ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

The link says preliminary analysis of extra tropical, I get don't get this but  instead polar vortex analysis. 

So, the title says A, but I get to see B. 

You seem intentionally obtuse...

The domain of the extratropical includes discussions of the polar vortex, since the polar vortex exists outside of the tropics.

Preliminary Analysis of the Polar Landscape for Boreal Winter 2023-2024

https://easternmassweather.blogspot.com/2023/08/preliminary-analysis-of-extratropical.html?m=1

Perhaps, now people do understand. First you see Polar landscape, the second is extratropical which contains much more than polar. So the description of the link and what you get is not the same.

By double clicking at the date (which is at 12th of august) I get the latest of your thoughts of 24th of August. And now it fits. So there is a problem with the website. Which I wanted to make clear. Being not native English-speaker, it was more difficult than I thought to do. Edit. After trying again, it remains wrong. Another way to get the right article, is to go to 'Blog archive' on the right side. Than you get the latest! 

image.thumb.png.9d30dea9fabe27a25829fa27c501938d.png