Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Ides of March end of Winter 2023

3 hours ago, mahantango#1 said:

How you like your tempest, any issues?

Hi.  The Tempest is actually my backup weather station.  I've had it since it was released in May of 2020.  I can say that it is spot-on with measuring Temperature, Humidity, Barometric pressure, and likely Wind, which is ultrasonic and appears to reflect speed similar to my Ambient 2902.  However, the one glaring feature is measuring precipitation.  It uses sound (haptic) to calculate precip.  Weather Flow states that the precip measuring is accurate to +/- 10%.  Well, I've had times when it matched up with my Ambient (tipping bucket), but I've had plenty of times when it has both over-recorded and under-recorded by greater than 10%.  Numerous people have posted on the Tempest blog about the accuracy of precip.  Weather Flow says that over time there is an automated process whereby they download calibration data to your unit in order to improve accuracy.  By the way, I should also say that in addition to my Ambient I also have a clear-vue rain collector as another backup.  If you want more info feel free to message me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

This is the JB tweet:

Wild storm is exiting New England. Monster likely next weekend or early following week. top 3 or 4 cold March 11-20 on the way. Winter making up for lost time

Yep,  groundhogs delight. Quite the boondoggle yesterday with plowable snow in the Lsv.

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It is windy...but very underwhelming here. MU currently has sustained winds of 5 mph. Nothing remotely close to Wind Advisory speeds here.

I’ve had a few gusts to 40 and it is sustained around 22 but it was windier last week for sure. They’ve had some big winds to the west but not mixing as much here for some reason. 

23 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The 12z EPS keeps CTP still in the game for next weekend. The initial low dies in the Midwest & the blocking forces the low to redevelop to our south & east. Exactly where that happens will determine our fate, but there are still tons of possibilities with this storm. Still 1 week to go.

Models have definitely been having issues on how they want to ultimately eject this shortwave out of the west. I tend to think op guidance (esp GFS) seems to be hanging this back too much and allowing a lot of heights to build ahead. I’m watching for now and staying open to all options though. Euro was the one that ultimately caved to yesterday’s storm around D5  when it was putting out snow runs similar to last night’s 0z. 

One thing I’m fairly certain about is regardless of what this system does, the aftermath is going to set us into a longer term colder than average regime with a mid-month period that looks to be significantly colder than average. Models were picking up on this system all the way outside D10 as it is a major feature that represents a more wholesale pattern change and is likely the direct response of the MJO having moved into phase 8, the WPO/EPO nosediving all the way into major negative territory, the PNA neutralizing, etc. It’ll definitely be the catalyst for the pattern change but the big question is will the blocking be enough to keep it under us and bring about this change with a snowstorm up front. It can’t hang back and build heights or we probably have the same ordeal as yesterday with a late secondary attempt that’s too high for us.

All bets are off afterwards though, I’d be surprised if we got out of the ensuing 10-15days without having had a legitimate shot at an event. 

20 hours ago, Coop_Mason said:

Just talked to new hire from CTP.  I think the job was open a few months back.  Real nice fellow originally from northern WV.   I ended up with 0.6” of snow before switching to rain.   

There was an opening at CTP back in early November that was part of a large posting for something like 26 openings in 21 offices. The only offices in the NE/Mid Atlantic in that posting were CTP, Binghamton and Caribou, ME.

I actually put in for CTP but got the all too familiar “eligible but not referred”. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Models have definitely been having issues on how they want to ultimately eject this shortwave out of the west. I tend to think op guidance (esp GFS) seems to be hanging this back too much and allowing a lot of heights to build ahead. I’m watching for now and staying open to all options though. Euro was the one that ultimately caved to yesterday’s storm around D5  when it was putting out snow runs similar to last night’s 0z. 

One thing I’m fairly certain about is regardless of what this system does, the aftermath is going to set us into a longer term colder than average regime with a mid-month period that looks to be significantly colder than average. Models were picking up on this system all the way outside D10 as it is a major feature that represents a more wholesale pattern change and is likely the direct response of the MJO having moved into phase 8, the WPO/EPO nosediving all the way into major negative territory, the PNA neutralizing, etc. It’ll definitely be the catalyst for the pattern change but the big question is will the blocking be enough to keep it under us and bring about this change with a snowstorm up front. It can’t hang back and build heights or we probably have the same ordeal as yesterday with a late secondary attempt that’s too high for us.

All bets are off afterwards though, I’d be surprised if we got out of the ensuing 10-15days without having had a legitimate shot at an event. 

It's coming...by the 20th I will have shoveled for the first time since 2021.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

G Ia guess sometimes you need more bucks to succeed.

On the 0z GEFS, once the storm redevelops on the Mid Atlantic coast it crawls to the north east.
Saturday at 10 am the mean low position is at the southern tip of the DelMarVa. It takes until 10 pm to get to Atlantic City, NJ. It is still just off of the central NJ coast at 4 am on Sunday.

If this coastal redevelops at the right location, the slow movement could make this very interesting for many of us.

A03EFC5F-3885-4B73-9D80-E7ED7071A6D8.png

609B8931-C44D-46B7-8028-DB199D24D688.png

Great 0z Euro run for the next weekend event. The secondary redevelops near the Outer Banks of NC & crawls northeast. This run was great for eastern PA, but the low tracks just a bit far too far off of the coast for interior CTP to get into the good snow this run. 
Long way to go, but great potential is  showing on the Euro with a 977 low off of the coast of southern NJ.

2B92B790-0D69-4C89-9685-73578FBCBBBF.png

145F79D7-B28F-421E-BB75-F13B46C5FC74.png

13990ACE-0D0D-4359-B33F-E90D6291A1E9.png

• Thanks 1