• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Ides of March end of Winter 2023

RGEM low for tonight at colder LSV locales....18.

HRRR....low 30's.

Already down to 37 here so the RGEM depict is better at this point here but too cool for MDT/LNS temps right now.  Not sure MDT gets into the low 20's tonight regardless.  I suspect clouds, or lack thereof, is a big part of the possible difference. 

12 hours ago, ChescoWx said:

It certainly evens out in the end. As here in Chester County we have seen 4 of the least snowy in the last 20 years and 6 of the snowiest seasons since 2000. In fact just 2 years ago a top 20 snow season...

image.png.70624bab718b3f3854132b1a7d01e737.png

I’m also intrigued by your top 20 totals. 
In 09-10 Harrisburg (MDT) only recorded 57 inches. Did Chester county get a decent amount from the late February 2010 “Snowicane”?

Also in 13-14, MDT only recorded 44 inches, so I’m curious to see which storms boosted your total to 80 inches that year?

In 17-18, MDT only got 37 inches for the season, so I am interested to see which storms helped get you to 58 inches?

This is a great trip down memory lane. It is nice to remember that we had some really good snow years just a few years back!

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

RGEM low for tonight at colder LSV locales....18.

HRRR....low 30's.

Already down to 37 here so the RGEM depict is better at this point here but too cool for MDT/LNS temps right now.  Not sure MDT gets into the low 20's tonight regardless.  I suspect clouds, or lack thereof, is a big part of the possible difference. 

I'm not even sure I get down to freezing...still 42.2 here.

1 hour ago, mahantango#1 said:

21 this morning. Might drop another degree or so till sunrise. The question now is the (one we all ask every year), did this cold hurt the fruit trees, and other tender vegetation?

We have now been between 15-25 six or seven times this month, so little is growing here.  I expect that to change a bit in the next 7 days though.   Trees have to bud and bloom at some point.    

• Like 1

Today should be the best day of the week with temps near 60 degrees and sunny! Rain chances start to increase by Thursday through Saturday. This would be some much needed rain for the many farmers in the county. We may not see another sub freezing morning for at least the next week or longer.
Records for today: High 85 (1948) / Low 12 (1986) / Precipitation 3.45" (2000) / Snow 5.0" (1932)
image.png.4a0690b3340162cd6f48c7e170d15150.png
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I was surprised to not see 2011-12 on your least snow total top 20 list. In Harrisburg, we had around 11 inches for the season, with a little over half of that in October 2011.

We ended that year with 19.2" with 9.0" falling in the October snowstorm - a record for the County!!

11 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

And after all of that, I'm now colder than you. 31 here currently.

Makes sense really as an inversion or decouple (different events in some aspects) are usually better when lower.  I was surprised I made it down to 24 so far up.  It was 15 degrees higher just a few miles from me up the mountain. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Makes sense really as an inversion or decouple (different events in some aspects) are usually better when lower.  I was surprised I made it down to 24 so far up.  It was 15 degrees higher just a few miles from me up the mountain. 

I saw that a lot, where it would be 40 in Tamaqua (800ft) and pushing 60 in Hazleton (1,700ft).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Voyager said:

I saw that a lot, where it would be 40 in Tamaqua (800ft) and pushing 60 in Hazleton (1,700ft).

Yep.  Even in our little neck of the woods down here, on strong inversion nights the top of Chickies Ridge (~600-700') will be a good 5-10 degrees warmer than the valleys down below around 300-400'.  I've often found a shallow inversion sets up around the 500' level for us.  @Itstrainingtime probably is less prone to noticing these extremes as I believe he is right below that 500' mark where the temp swings are more mitigated.

11 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Anyone else mow yet? I mowed for the 2nd time on Sunday - things are green and growing in Maytown and have been for some time now. 

No, even though there is some decent green nothing near the point of having to mow. 

Speaking of which, I'm in the market for an electric mower.  Let me hear yinz' advice on what route to go.  Who has personal experience and what would you recommend?  Need to mow ~1/3 of an acre.  Let's hear it boys, thanks!

6 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Yep.  Even in our little neck of the woods down here, on strong inversion nights the top of Chickies Ridge (~600-700') will be a good 5-10 degrees warmer than the valleys down below around 300-400'.  I've often found a shallow inversion sets up around the 500' level for us.  @Itstrainingtime probably is less prone to noticing these extremes as I believe he is right below that 500' mark where the temp swings are more mitigated.

Yes sir, 469' is where I'm at. Maytown is at 447' and I sit at about the highest point in the immediate area. 

• Like 1