• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Ides of March end of Winter 2023

37 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

No, even though there is some decent green nothing near the point of having to mow. 

Speaking of which, I'm in the market for an electric mower.  Let me hear yinz' advice on what route to go.  Who has personal experience and what would you recommend?  Need to mow ~1/3 of an acre.  Let's hear it boys, thanks!

I was all set to get an Ego myself but upon investigation I found that you cannot leave the battery in the garage or shed (especially the shed) so thought I would mention that.    Now looking at a Honda gas mower instead.  So, not personal experience but the battery issue is apparently not widely known.  This applies to buying one from any place that stores them in a non-conditioned room as well.  Lots of stories of people buying mowers from True Value and being dead within weeks. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I was all set to get an Ego myself but upon investigation I found that you cannot leave the battery in the garage or shed (especially the shed) so thought I would mention that.    Now looking at a Honda gas mower instead.  So, not personal experience but the battery issue is apparently not widely known.  This applies to buying one from any place that stores them in a non-conditioned room as well.  Lots of stories of people buying mowers from True Value and being dead within weeks. 

57 minutes ago, canderson said:

Ego is the way to go. You need the battery to be kept in a climate-controlled environment but that's the same for any lithium ion battery - not just Ego. 

Thanks fellas.  I had definitely planned on storing the batteries in the garage so that's good to know ha.  Ego is the brand sold by Lowes right?  How are they with handling thick spots or slightly wetter grass or stuff like that?  Enough power for all that while on self-propel?  Anyone else have any personal experience with using them?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Thanks fellas.  I had definitely planned on storing the batteries in the garage so that's good to know ha.  Ego is the brand sold by Lowes right?  How are they with handling thick spots or slightly wetter grass or stuff like that?  Enough power for all that while on self-propel?  Anyone else have any personal experience with using them?

I've got an ego self propelled. It's got a good amount of power and can handle pretty thick grass but thick+wet = nope. You'll def have to raise the deck. I've liked it and Ive done the stupid and left the batteries in the garage (have their snowblower and trimmer and leaf blower)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Anduril said:

I've got an ego self propelled. It's got a good amount of power and can handle pretty thick grass but thick+wet = nope. You'll def have to raise the deck. I've liked it and Ive done the stupid and left the batteries in the garage (have their snowblower and trimmer and leaf blower)

Hey, that's what I have as well. I have the same issues with thick, wet grass which is one reason why I like to stay on top of it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Hey, that's what I have as well. I have the same issues with thick, wet grass which is one reason why I like to stay on top of it. 

Yea, I struggled at times with that due to physical exhaustion from work so I let it get a bit long :) Also mines got the two blades in it and I need to swap them as I dont think it comes with the proper mulching blades or if it does they're not very good. On the non-self propelled ego I had previously the bagging blade cut far, far better than the mulching blade and it still mulched! Really cut down battery life tho

• Like 1

The next major winter storm is JUST arriving in Mammoth now - expecting another 1 to 2 feet in town today with 3' on the hill:

https://www.mammothmountain.com/on-the-mountain/mammoth-webcam/the-village

Yet another moisture loaded storm is expected one week from today. Things are slowly winding down, but my goodness...

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

This is ultimately what led me away from Ego.  I was afraid I would be worrying about the battery nonstop.   I did not do the initial research and find out how much they were. 

It is something that's a definite concern/consideration. I still like it enough to mow 60 times a year. :) 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It is something that's a definite concern/consideration. I still like it enough to mow 60 times a year. :) 

Not at all saying it is not good I would just be very angry if I had to shell out the cost of another mower 3 years into it. @Mount Joy Snowman they sell Ego at Lowes, Amazon, Ebay, and many local Mower shops.  I think Home Depot is one of the few places you cannot get one.   The Local Mower shop is not a bad idea as they will help with small issues. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

No, even though there is some decent green nothing near the point of having to mow. 

Speaking of which, I'm in the market for an electric mower.  Let me hear yinz' advice on what route to go.  Who has personal experience and what would you recommend?  Need to mow ~1/3 of an acre.  Let's hear it boys, thanks!

RYOBI

50 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The ground here is still frozen like it is winter.  No digging yet to put in plants either.   This happened over the last few weeks. 

After I eat I intend to get the tractor out and the plow to plow our truck patch garden. It's the perfect time to do it before it rains. Once it rain who knows when I'll get to do it. And the garden sits in the lowland next to the creek.

• Like 1

I saw that a lot, where it would be 40 in Tamaqua (800ft) and pushing 60 in Hazleton (1,700ft).
Some of the craziest weather differences ive ever encountered have been between the pine grove and frackville exits of 81 and pottsville pa.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

@Itstrainingtime Jebman is asking that your whole vaca be ruined in the MA Banter thread.   Wants Mammoth to slide down the mountain with drownings.  LOL 

My wife and I received communication stating that for now, all is well but there are many structures that have either failed or in danger of doing so. The town really, really needs the snow guns to shut off but uh...that's not happening: https://www.mammothmountain.com/on-the-mountain/mammoth-webcam/the-village

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

My wife and I received communication stating that for now, all is well but there are many structures that have either failed or in danger of doing so. The town really, really needs the snow guns to shut off but uh...that's not happening: https://www.mammothmountain.com/on-the-mountain/mammoth-webcam/the-village

I thought he was joking (outside the floods).  

4 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yes sir, 469' is where I'm at. Maytown is at 447' and I sit at about the highest point in the immediate area. 

Not to quibble, but let's quibble haha.  So, all my topo maps show downtown Maytown in the 400-420' range.  Don't sass me with your 447' talk :lol:

Judging from your listed elevation, I'm going to say you're out by the Donegal Springs Airpark??  Feel free to call me Stalker Snowman.

39 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Not to quibble, but let's quibble haha.  So, all my topo maps show downtown Maytown in the 400-420' range.  Don't sass me with your 447' talk :lol:

Judging from your listed elevation, I'm going to say you're out by the Donegal Springs Airpark??  Feel free to call me Stalker Snowman.

I am VERY close to the airpark - you're new around here, we call it Maytown Intertownship Airport. Or, MIA (missing in action) for short. 

I got the 447' mark from somewhere online years ago. Bad data. I hate bad data. No data is better than bad data.

I guess I need to spot check everything I post from now on. :) 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I am VERY close to the airpark - you're new around here, we call it Maytown Intertownship Airport. Or, MIA (missing in action) for short. 

I got the 447' mark from somewhere online years ago. Bad data. I hate bad data. No data is better than bad data.

I guess I need to spot check everything I post from now on. :) 

https://whatismyelevation.com/

There are 3 sites I tried and it varied between 801 and 810 feet here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1