• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 12-13 Severe and NWFS Event

fountainguy97

Hey guys long time lurker (thanks to Powell over on Volquest) but first post. I do a ton of winter backpacking (and sometimes showshoeing) in the smokies and have always wondered how accurate the website ATweather.org is. They use data from NOAA point and click forecasts. Does 3-5” tonight, 8-12” tomorrow, 8-12” tomorrow night and 1-3” Saturday morning sound accurate for this weekend above 5,000 feet or way overblown? Full disclosure…I hope it’s accurate ha!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BackpackingWeather said:

Hey guys long time lurker (thanks to Powell over on Volquest) but first post. I do a ton of winter backpacking (and sometimes showshoeing) in the smokies and have always wondered how accurate the website ATweather.org is. They use data from NOAA point and click forecasts. Does 3-5” tonight, 8-12” tomorrow, 8-12” tomorrow night and 1-3” Saturday morning sound accurate for this weekend above 5,000 feet or way overblown? Full disclosure…I hope it’s accurate ha!

I'd say that could happen at LeConte and around it.  It's the best location for upslope in the entire southern Appalachians. I've seen it get 24-36 inches from upslope before but I'm not sure it will this time, but it's entirely possible. Other areas above 5000 aren't as favorable, according to how they are situated. Honestly it's really above 6000 that seems to be the most prone.  I've seen LeConte get 20 inches of upslope but Newfound Gap gets only 5-6. 

• Like 1

This is the actual LeConte NWS point forecast. It's for 6499 feet as close to LeConte as you can click.  

Tonight
Rain and snow likely before 10pm, then snow. Patchy fog. Low around 22. Breezy, with a west wind around 25 mph becoming northwest after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Friday
Snow. Patchy fog before 1pm. High near 25. Blustery, with a northwest wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

Friday Night
Snow before 10pm, then snow showers, mainly between 10pm and 4am. Patchy fog before 3am, then patchy fog after 5am. Low around 15. Wind chill values between -2 and 6. Blustery, with a north wind around 25 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Saturday
A chance of snow showers before 10am, then a chance of flurries between 10am and 1pm. Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 22. Wind chill values between -3 and 7. Blustery, with a northwest wind 15 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

This is the actual LeConte NWS point forecast. It's for 6499 feet as close to LeConte as you can click.  

Tonight
Rain and snow likely before 10pm, then snow. Patchy fog. Low around 22. Breezy, with a west wind around 25 mph becoming northwest after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Friday
Snow. Patchy fog before 1pm. High near 25. Blustery, with a northwest wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

Friday Night
Snow before 10pm, then snow showers, mainly between 10pm and 4am. Patchy fog before 3am, then patchy fog after 5am. Low around 15. Wind chill values between -2 and 6. Blustery, with a north wind around 25 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Saturday
A chance of snow showers before 10am, then a chance of flurries between 10am and 1pm. Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 22. Wind chill values between -3 and 7. Blustery, with a northwest wind 15 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Thanks, John. Looks like “atweather.org” has pretty inflated snow totals. Either way I have a fairly high level of confidence that the upper ridges in the smokies may approach a foot with this system.

Just now, BackpackingWeather said:

Thanks, John. Looks like “atweather.org” has pretty inflated snow totals. Either way I have a fairly high level of confidence that the upper ridges in the smokies may approach a foot with this system.

Honestly, the point forecasts aren't all that great a lot of the time either.  

• Like 1

Just now, BackpackingWeather said:

Do you have a recommendation for something else to use for relatively accurate mountain forecasts?

The best would probably be the zone forecast by county. Should be a Southeast Sevier, Southeast Blount etc. Those are or were written by actual Mets at one point and not computer generated. 

Even then, the mountain weather is very unpredictable and there's very few actual data points. That honestly goes for a lot of the area. Knowing your micro climates in East Tennessee is about as good a way as any to speculate on the forecast. 

For the Smokies the next 48 hours, extremely wintery, especially above 4000 feet is probably a good rule of thumb. 

• Like 1

The best would probably be the zone forecast by county. Should be a Southeast Sevier, Southeast Blount etc. Those are or were written by actual Mets at one point and not computer generated. 
Even then, the mountain weather is very unpredictable and there's very few actual data points. That honestly goes for a lot of the area. Knowing your micro climates in East Tennessee is about as good a way as any to speculate on the forecast. 
For the Smokies the next 48 hours, extremely wintery, especially above 4000 feet is probably a good rule of thumb. 

Awesome. Thanks. I looked up the sevier smoky mountains and it appears to have the most accurate descriptions I’ve seen.

• Like 1

@BackpackingWeather

Here is a video I took several years ago at approx this location on Bullhead Trail:

e2FmneI.png

This was pretty early in to a NW flow event at about 5700 feet. The video is only in SD, so it doesn't do the conditions justice. The wind was gnarly. 

I've seen hip high drifts (3.5') on the AT near Mt Cammerer after one of these events.  

• Like 6

[mention=20204]BackpackingWeather[/mention]
Here is a photo of one of the more photogenic drifts on the AT near Cammerer :
EHZXwM4.png

And this is at a pretty low elevation on the trail up to the AT from Cosby:
https://i.imgur.com/LRLnICP.mp4

You are making me one happy camper (erm…backpacker)! Thanks for all of the info. I haven’t experienced one of these NW flow events since I’ve been in Knoxville, so I’m looking forward to it!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BackpackingWeather said:

This is great thanks! I’m heading to the Cammerer area on the AT tomorrow morning so this gives me hope. I live for backpacking in weather like this. Thanks to everyone for all of the help. I’m slowly learning…lol

Have a Safe & fun adventure!

• Like 1