• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Where have all the cowboys (I mean clippers) gone?

Hoosier

So this is a subject that gets bantered about from time to time, and I'd like to get some input.

I think most of us here share the perception that these types of systems have not been occurring in the subforum as frequently as they used to.  But as they say, perception is not necessarily reality.  I wonder if there is a convenient way to objectively determine this or if we're just left to our own recollections.

Let's side with our groupthink though and say that clipper systems are occurring less often.  What are some potential reasons for this, and is it just a temporary down cycle or is there reason to think that this could be some kind of new normal?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

So this is a subject that gets bantered about from time to time, and I'd like to get some input.

I think most of us here share the perception that these types of systems have not been occurring in the subforum as frequently as they used to.  But as they say, perception is not necessarily reality.  I wonder if there is a convenient way to objectively determine this or if we're just left to our own recollections.

Let's side with our groupthink though and say that clipper systems are occurring less often.  What are some potential reasons for this, and is it just a temporary down cycle or is there reason to think that this could be some kind of new normal?

Was just thinking this earlier actually, that we don't get nearly as many clippers as we used to.  Also seem to be lacking in icing events as well.  Also while I'm at it, seem to be lacking in the big storms that used to wrap up and throw us into the dry tongue.  Used to always loathe the dry tongue, but now kind of miss it.  Man that sounded kind of weird lol.

Seems that we mostly get progressive/positively tilted pos lately, especially the kind that down-trend in the final 48hrs.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Was just thinking this earlier actually, that we don't get nearly as many clippers as we used to.  Also seem to be lacking in icing events as well.  Also while I'm at it, seem to be lacking in the big storms that used to wrap up and throw us into the dry tongue.  Used to always loathe the dry tongue, but now kind of miss it.  Man that sounded kind of weird lol.

Seems that we mostly get progressive/positively tilted pos lately, especially the kind that down-trend in the final 48hrs.

Explains why the TN Valley over into the mid South gets severe outbreak after outbreak.  Also who needs clippers from the Pacific when you can get atmospheric rivers?

Admittedly I'm not always the best at remembering what type of event any given snowfall was. I remember the amount, but not always what it was.  But this is actually an interesting topic because I too have noticed we don't seem to get as many clippers as we used to in the 1990s, but we get a lot more snow now than we did back then too. Back then they were our bread-and-butter and now they just make occasional appearances. And cyclone mentioned icing. Back in the 1940s and 1950s we had way more ice storms amd glazing events than we do now, but way less snow. 

On 1/11/2023 at 12:47 PM, cyclone77 said:

Also while I'm at it, seem to be lacking in the big storms that used to wrap up and throw us into the dry tongue.  Used to always loathe the dry tongue, but now kind of miss it.  Man that sounded kind of weird lol.

Indeed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2023 at 1:31 PM, Hoosier said:

One thing that may be playing a role is the lack of cold fronts. Fewer cold fronts lead to fewer clippers.  Also the dividing line between cool/cold air and mild/warm air is further north leading to storms developing further north.  Often times the "Montreal Express" was introduced by a clipper system. Now that rarely happens.

1 hour ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

One thing that may be playing a role is the lack of cold fronts. Fewer cold fronts lead to fewer clippers.  Also the dividing line between cool/cold air and mild/warm air is further north leading to storms developing further north.  Often times the "Montreal Express" was introduced by a clipper system. Now that rarely happens.

This milder Winter notwithstanding, we've been seeing less clippers for years even in colder winters with many cold fronts. We've not had a problem getting snow from many other ways, but they hey day of clippers seems past.

On 2/7/2023 at 5:51 PM, michsnowfreak said:

Not true. For whatever reason clippers, while they occur, are just less frequent overall.  Locally we had more clippers but less snow overall in the 1990s then we get now. Go figure.

On 2/7/2023 at 7:32 PM, hardypalmguy said:

Yeah I remember clippers all the time as a kid. Now they are nonexistent.

Most of last winter was clippers delivering the goods here. They aren't extinct, just on the "rarely sighted" list

• Like 1