• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Historic Christmas Cold & maybe snow?! Dec 23rd-30th

Wurbus

Merry Christmas folks! Hope all of yall are doing well. Weather wise this  'Eve I reached a high of 10.2 and received a couple more tenths of wispy powdery snow to aid in some window dressing for the season. In the end not really a white Christmas, not really a brown one, more like a "silver" one. At the end of the day though I count my blessings that I have electricity and warm a house. It sure was fun discussing and observing this one guys, all the best. With any luck we might be back in business again for the clipper.

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, John1122 said:

The various NAM nest models are downright aggressive. Especially for the mid-state. The Canadian family seems to like the Chattanooga area. The GFS and HRRR have a nice 1 to 1.5 around Knoxville. 

It would be fitting for this to happen. I think Carver mentioned it earlier in the thread. A long time ago, when we had these kind of air masses, it would always seem to snow one last time on the last cold or semi cold day before the warm-up. In other words, end the cold snap with a snow. The old timers used to say it would have to “warm up” to snow. I can remember hearing that more than once. Just like the phrase too cold to snow (of course we know that’s not the case it was always just the moisture wasn’t there.) 

• Like 4

Tomorrow's clipper might be fun. I remember back several years ago a similar scenario with dying clipper expected to only bring flurries. While at work in North Knox at the time I remember coming out of the door not expecting anything and finding 2" of snow. While not a lot of snow it was one of the most impressive busts because MRX had only called for just flurries but also specifically said not enough moisture to accumulate at all. Maybe we'll get lucky. Weak dying systems are very capable of creating surprises.

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Pretty interesting evolution on the NAM. Don't think I have seen a clipper redevelop in the valley before. Plateau usually kills it for us. 

namconus_ref_frzn_seus_fh26-36.thumb.gif.21230a1d26d504ba91fe411be867d668.gif

Plateau shouldn’t do much to it if the clipper tracks from Memphis to Chattanooga right? That’s a similar track the ULL took 10 years ago or something like that when ETn got 6-10”. That’s when Birmingham to Huntsville picked up 5” in like 2 hours or something crazy like that.

• Like 5

Pretty interesting evolution on the NAM. Don't think I have seen a clipper redevelop in the valley before. Plateau usually kills it for us. 

Maybe the moisture is catching up to better lift right at the valley before it fizzles out, or maybe it's hitting the mountains and there is a slight amount of backing in the flow. Backing in the flow, up against the mountains sometimes contributes to surprise totals in the valley.

• Like 3

Maybe the moisture is catching up to better lift right at the valley before it fizzles out, or maybe it's hitting the mountains and there is a slight amount of backing in the flow. Backing in the flow, up against the mountains sometimes contributes to surprise totals in the valley.

I noticed MRX talked about how the better dynamics was not lined up with the better moisture. Makes me wonder what it would look like had they gotten lined up.

• Like 1

While the RGEM isn’t pretty, it almost looks like the snow maps indicates a redevelopment in the southern valley like you were saying.

af42ea29b9e04b13ca7f266922a8e09f.png

• Like 2

Clouds moving in during the morning should help keep temps likely at best in the upper 20s as the warmest, and frozen ground every flake that falls sticks, my biggest concern is overcoming dry air, and how much virga do we deal with before reaching the ground.

Don’t know if it will make a difference but a blanket of morning clouds might help keep whatever low level moisture we have in place.

• Like 2

WWA up for west TN
Screenshot_20221225-203555_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a8980c84d71f06b4595f70693a85dcd6.jpg

One inch of snow on the back roads in Knox co will not be good. Even on state roads like Emory Rd where I live have sections that just don’t do well no matter how much snow melt they put down. The end of my subdivision comes out on Emory and it’s in a terrible location. Emory at my subdivision is a downhill turn that’s sloped to one side. People take it to easy and slide off into the ditch. From there the slide offs just multiply. My subdivision entrance is almost always blocked in that turn and there’s only one way in or out.
  • Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic