• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Historic Christmas Cold & maybe snow?! Dec 23rd-30th

Wurbus

I'm at -2 with just a coating of snow along I-65 in Marshall county. RGEM and Canadian were spot on with my minimal accumulation. 

I'm not sure this is one where you eastern guys can entirely blame the Plateau for the lack of snow. I think the dynamics and trajectory of the system were just yanking it to the northeast. I usually do pretty well compared to the Memphis to Nashville corridor even though I'm 50 miles south of Nashville. Not this time. My elevation, topography, and ruralness got me nothing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Coach B said:

I'm at -2 with just a coating of snow along I-65 in Marshall county. RGEM and Canadian were spot on with my minimal accumulation. 

I'm not sure this is one where you eastern guys can entirely blame the Plateau for the lack of snow. I think the dynamics and trajectory of the system were just yanking it to the northeast. I usually do pretty well compared to the Memphis to Nashville corridor even though I'm 50 miles south of Nashville. Not this time. My elevation, topography, and ruralness got me nothing.

Great points.  I am going to run the fireplace wood stove insert today, though!    Yeah, the RGEM/ Canadian combo have been good so far this winter.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Great points.  I am going to run the fireplace wood stove insert today, though!    Yeah, the RGEM/ Canadian combo have been good so far this winter.

Forgot to mention I lost power for three hours last night immediately after the front came through. Luckily the wood stove was cranking! 

• Like 1

Currently-4° with windchills in the mid -20s, got about half and inch

A large 20 acre pond nearby has begun freezing over... so crazy watching the steam rise off the pond like it's a hot cup of coffee!

Definitely getting tiny flakes in the air under blue skies, but can clearly see dark gray clouds to the north and west that appear to be convective snow streamers so hopefully get a little more

Crazy temp drop overnight!

Smart-Select-20221223-100057-Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Knoxtron said:

annnnnd our water lines are frozen

crap, this isn't gonna be fun

I hate to hear that. It's happened to me before. Hopefully you can find the line and get it thawed. I've had to wait out entire cold spells in the past. Now if it's below 10, I leave water dripping in multiple faucets.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, John1122 said:

I hate to hear that. It's happened to me before. Hopefully you can find the line and get it thawed. I've had to wait out entire cold spells in the past. Now if it's below 10, I leave water dripping in multiple faucets.

Lesson learned that's for sure! Thankfully I got it unfrozen. I stupidly bought a overpriced FLIR thermal imaging scope a few weeks back... sure came in handy finding the frozen section! I need my wife to see this lol

Thanks for the info! Yeah looks like I'm leaving them dripping for a few more days haha

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, John1122 said:

During January '85, the light went out in our well house, and we also had pipes freeze under our house.    It seems like all we did was thaw things out and fix pipes.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

How much did you wind up with ? I've been looking at cams and Lexington got hammered. Just eyeballing, it looks like probably .5-6" there with 2 foot drifts

I'd say around an inch, side roads are solid ice underneath from the .10 rain prior. 

20221223115350285.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, PowellVolz said:

I’m your house?

Appears the lines frozen in two locations

We have an outside on demand water heater (supposedly rated for this cold), but I didn't drip thr hot water just cold. Froze right inside the wall

The other freeze was where we had a new tub put in against an outside wall, contractor clearly didn't put any insulation back (thermal imager comfirns that).

I pit heaters under the crawl space and found the coldest points on my.water lines to put heater blankets and hair dryer. After about 30 mins the hot water started running again 

• Like 3

Update: After a short power outage and some shut eye. Fortunately we had propane heaters (ventilated just in case) for just these types of situation and battery banks, so it wasn't anything too bad at least for us. As for the snowfall here accumulations were negligible. Roughly a 1/10th of an inch stuck, fairly disappointing all considered. In other words where one part of the valley is shafted, so is the rest for this one. No latitude nor elevation gain could save me with this one. With that said the temps have been quite impressive. Up to now I've been holding steady between 4 and 5 degrees. I suspect it'll make an afternoon rally but I'd bet money double digits aren't on tap. The severity of lows tend to correlate with a west to east gradient where comparably the cold has more time to settle in for most of yall.

12-23-22 Cold Front Temp Change and Power Outage.jpg

• Like 5

I've lived in the valley of east Tennessee since 1989, I cannot recall a daytime temp peaking at 8 degrees. My weather station has been fluctuating between 6 and 8 degrees all day. The coldest day time temp I can recall since we moved here when I was 10 years old is in the low to mid teens for daytime hours. My forecast high from MRX yesterday was a high of 16, not going to hit that. I suspect tonight may go negative air temp.

All that said my official high for the day is 45, just after midnight. Lol

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, ShawnEastTN said:

I've lived in the valley of east Tennessee since 1989, I cannot recall a daytime temp peaking at 8 degrees. My weather station has been fluctuating between 6 and 8 degrees all day. The coldest day time temp I can recall since we moved here when I was 10 years old is in the low to mid teens for daytime hours. My forecast high from MRX yesterday was a high of 16, not going to hit that. I suspect tonight may go negative air temp.

All that said my official high for the day is 45, just after midnight. Lol

I'd be almost shocked if it didn't go negative tonight man. I mean, we saw this coming but this is some crazy stuff!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ShawnEastTN said:

The closest thing I can remember was the PV anafrontal snow we had in January 2014, when it snowed a solid 1-3in across the area. That front and moisture worked for the valley, unlike this time. It was around 16 degrees or so when it started snowing that morning and dropped steadily for an hour or two. The snow was over around noon and the temp at the house was 10 by then. By 3 in the afternoon, it was around 6 degrees and around 3 when the sun set. After it was all said and done, we bottomed out at -3 at the house. Some places went lower. The thing about this current event coldwise, it seems, is that it was over a bigger area. The direction of the 2014 event if my memory is correct was centered slightly further east, so that the coldest readings were over E TN and KY and SW VA. 

• Like 4

The closest thing I can remember was the PV anafrontal snow we had in January 2014, when it snowed a solid 1-3in across the area. That front and moisture worked for the valley, unlike this time. It was around 16 degrees or so when it started snowing that morning and dropped steadily for an hour or two. The snow was over around noon and the temp at the house was 10 by then. By 3 in the afternoon, it was around 6 degrees and around 3 when the sun set. After it was all said and done, we bottomed out at -3 at the house. Some places went lower. The thing about this current event coldwise, it seems, is that it was over a bigger area. The direction of the 2014 event if my memory is correct was centered slightly further east, so that the coldest readings were over E TN and KY and SW VA. 
Yep that was cold for me too but not as cold as up your way. I'm on the unofficial border of the Southern and Central valley terminology that MRX uses. I can walk into the Central Valley but my house is technically in the Southern Valley. I live right near the county lines of Meigs and Roane. Definitely up the valley your direction tends to be colder than down this way. Think Chatty even which is about 75 miles south of me is mostly in the single digits today too.

• Like 2

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic