Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Historic Christmas Cold & maybe snow?! Dec 23rd-30th

Wurbus

2 minutes ago, TellicoWx said:

Big concern for the Valley on the low level moisture is the DGZ speed lowering and how dry it is. The residual  could be squeezed out in the form of light drizzle/fog creating a nightmare glaze on everything. Won't take very much drizzle to instantly freeze on contact for things to go down hill quickly.

This is my second biggest concern for our area, just behind downed trees causing power outages. Crashing temps causing a "flash freeze" would spell disaster in general but especially on the roads. I have a friend coming from Atlanta today and my brother is driving back from Indiana as I type. I've told them both to be in place before midnight if possible. Hopefully traffic will have decreased somewhat by the time it arrives in our part of the Valley. I hope everyone (i.e., the general public) is up to date on things and are planning accordingly but honestly how many folks are keeping up with the storm the way we are?

Speaking of which, thanks to y'all for the great coverage...as always! 

• Like 3

Don't know if anyone has noticed but the Blizzard warnings have expanded westward back to Montana where the front had already passed yesterday. Which means if NWS offices out there didn't think it was necessary to issue until well after fropa then the winds and overall strength of the storm and its impacts were underestimated yesterday.

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, ShawnEastTN said:

Don't know if anyone has noticed but the Blizzard warnings have expanded westward back to Montana where the front had already passed yesterday. Which means if NWS offices out there didn't think it was necessary to issue until well after fropa then the winds and overall strength of the storm and its impacts were underestimated yesterday.

Alot of offices that way played catch up thru the night. Starting to see the upgrades out in front now (such as western KY/ MO upgrading a little bit ago to WSW)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Which means modeling isn't going to see that low level moisture, right?  Some reports out west almost implied that a snow was rolling in like a fog when it hit.

I believe modeling is a simulated radar and I'm not sure it's equipped to handle snow falling that low in the atmosphere. We see that pretty often here, where the models have cleared things and snow showers linger one as the DGZ drops below radar.

• Like 5

Winter storm warnings for SW KY.
For only 2-4" which I suspect isn't there normal requirement for WSW, think they are trying to make a statement with the public about how bad its going to get with wind driven snow. Funny though with only 3 inches of snow with the forecast windspeeds there will probably be drifts up to 2 feet deep in places.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ShawnEastTN said:

For only 2-4" which I suspect isn't there normal requirement for WSW, think they are trying to make a statement with the public about how bad its going to get with wind driven snow. Funny though with only 3 inches of snow with the forecast windspeeds there will probably be drifts up to 2 feet deep in places.

And since that snow will fall in a very short time as well.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TellicoWx said:

16z HRRR freezing rain..concerning. Have to fill in the holes where simulation can't keep up with the front.

Screenshot_20221222-131308_Chrome.jpg

I'll be interested to see the transition tonight. Do we go straight rain to snow? Or an inbetween? 

And as pointed out a big question still remains in regards to our moisture.  The DGZ will be on the ground.  So we could end up with basically freezing mist for hours after. 

• Like 3

Curious to see which model works out here.  Also strange how models evolved with the system. The GFS started it as a clipperish system. Then turned it into a Miller A for a bit. The Euro/UKIE tried to make it a major cutter. Then they all trended back towards a clipper/anafrontal event. 

If the GFS is even close to correct on snowfall amounts, we will know that the Euro/UKIE have a lot of trouble with this type of event. The UKIE never caught on to Christmas 2020 and the Euro didn't until 24 hours out. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

In my experience with the DGZ that low and temps so cold, you get small ice crystals, even if the sky is blue. I don't recall ever seeing freezing mist at temps below 10.

This is what happened during the 2015 cold snap. The coldest day IMBY (Erwin at the time) was 8° with ice crystals falling nearly all day. Unlike anything I’d seen before or have seen since.

The great January '85 Outbreak featured anafrontal heavy Snowfall. A general 5-8" throughout the Valley as I recall. More than forecasted. 
      There were the small crystal flakes the next day under mainly clear skies as well with actual daytime Temps below zero at my home. 

Yes. Remember it well. They were calling for a few inches. Some areas in and around Knoxville saw 8”. I did at my house. That’s when it was 25 below in Knoxville

• Thanks 1

The great January '85 Outbreak featured anafrontal heavy Snowfall. A general 5-8" throughout the Valley as I recall. More than forecasted. 
      There were the small crystal flakes the next day under mainly clear skies as well with actual daytime Temps below zero at my home. 
This is what I am hoping here, under forecasted event, that busts high. There is absolutely a chance for anyone in the forum region to bust high.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic