• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 13-16th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

3-6" around the TH area this morning. Co-op observer right on the shore recorded only 1", which is not unexpected. About 3" imby. Reports from Duluth, and Brimson have around 8". Excellent snowman snow. Heavier band just moved in, so starting to accum much quicker again. Blizzard warnings for the shore, and head of the lake are a little over blown. Not quite that bad.

• Like 1

Quite the pattern across the country this evening...

Broad trough across the Inter-Mountain West and Central US, with a vertically stacked low centered in Sioux Falls area. You can see the next wave on WV imagery in the vicinity of Arkansas this evening, already amplifying as it goes negative tilt, with a nice divergent flow aloft as well.

wvt.thumb.jpg.2f1c34081bba5e18c7fdfbff27164664.jpg

• Like 4

MSP only picked up 0.42” of precipitation from phase 1 of this system, which was below the low end of most model guidance. 0.16” of that was snow, far less liquid precipitation then forecast. Core of metro got shafted on snowfall last night but it looks like a quick 4-6” is in order overnight and tomorrow. I’m guessing the snow water equivalent will be less then 10-1.

6F48409F-5389-49CE-AF46-E7A158DA8CA4.jpeg

C52A5DA7-502E-4925-AC0E-2AA7BCD24AA8.jpeg

2 minutes ago, madwx said:

Already accumulating a bit on the deck.  The ground and driveway won’t be far behind

Nice, and you have a long night of precip to go as well, should do well there.  Back edge of precip a few hours away from here, so may just get a quick dusting to perhaps a quick inch if it can rip hard enough.

Just heard a long rumble of thunder.  Guess that's the first thundersnow of the year lol. 

• Like 4

Lost power at 3 am. Lines arcing behind the house. Tree over the lines or something. Brilliant green flashes with the arcing sound. Fired up my Aladdin oil lamps, and turned on the gas stove for heat. It always feels like the hunting shack when I have to do that. Sit, and smoke with some Mtn Dew, and snacks for something to do while listening to the wind, and watching the snow fall out the window. A beer or cocktail would be in hand in my younger days. :) 

It's 4:30 am now, and it looks like about 3" more fell. Very wet, heavy stuff. Compacts quickly. Inland is just a little cooler, so more gets squeezed out, especially with the orographic lifting.

• Like 3