• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

24 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Ocala Florida has frozen and below freezing temps in their forecast around Christmas.  Always a good sign of major cold here.   This was sent to me, I do not use "The Bug".

image.png.c619f9a671d96bc3061849f21c3e7974.png

Wow...Friday is downright frigid by Ocala standards. By comparison, with the pattern change, we may be flirting with 70's by Christmas weekend. 

Just now, Blizzard of 93 said:

True, but much less bounce on the ensembles!

Very true, just do not think we are able to dissect as many details from an ensemble run which is an average of 50 members (plus one control) who are fed different data than the OP to allow for evaluation of uncertainty.  I think the ensembles are great to check up on the OP and see the odds that the Op is right, but if into model dissection, it is hard to do it with 51 solutions in one run. 

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Very true, just do not think we are able to dissect as many details from an ensemble run which is an average of 50 members (plus one control) who are fed different data than the OP to allow for evaluation of uncertainty.  I think the ensembles are great to check up on the OP and see the odds that the Op is right, but if into model dissection, it is hard to do it with 51 solutions in one run. 

Yes, but that is why looking at the low locations can help to determine the different camps of lows and to see the trends. Outliers can skew the mean, but if you factor those out, it gives you a much better idea at this range.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Yes, but that is why looking at the low locations can help to determine the different camps of lows and to see the trends. Outliers can skew the mean, but if you factor those out, it gives you a much better idea at this range.

It is literally 50 different ideas based on data that is purposely entered differently. I believe it is the same "software" as the EC being run at a lower resolution with purposely altered data to allow for evaluation of uncertainty in the Op.   But some people like the dissection aspect of this hobby which is easier to do with the Op.  So, to each their own but folks who like to talk Op runs are good too. 

What a mess yesterday. You know it not a good storm, when 1/2 way thru it, we’re talking about next weeks storm. 

Sometimes a little confusing.

I don’t even know how close my measurements are.

snow/Sleet I figured 2.25”

Rain 1.30”

What a sloppy mess to clean up today.

On to the next storm. 32 this morning.

Blizz glad you have power. Forum needs to take a collection up so you can get a generator :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

lol

the ensembles to the dissecting for us.  I dare say most will take and ensemble mean 10 fold over an op post 7 days.

Some of you wanted pros input...

54 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Well stated Blizz.

45 minutes ago, pawatch said:

What a mess yesterday. You know it not a good storm, when 1/2 way thru it, we’re talking about next weeks storm. 

Sometimes a little confusing.

I don’t even know how close my measurements are.

snow/Sleet I figured 2.25”

Rain 1.30”

What a sloppy mess to clean up today.

On to the next storm. 32 this morning.

Blizz glad you have power. Forum needs to take a collection up so you can get a generator :lol:

I think the moving on part was those of us that really werent in.  Sorry if we stole any thunder from yalls fun.

at least it wasnt a hard freeze after, or you'd be chippin away for days.  Have fun.

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

We got down to 14 one night when I was in Ocala.  That was the same year we had 1/2" of snow in January. 

33 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Wow...I had no idea it could get that cold down there.

Bubbler knows this a whole lot better than me, but I've made a couple of dozen trips to Florida and the northern tier-Penisula seems like a different world than the rest of the state. You have to get further south into Florida to get into what you probably envision Florida being like. 

It wasn't until I was a teenager when I realized that it snows in parts of Arizona and California. I thought of those states as sunny and warm (hot) all the time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Rain and 37 currently.

Up to 1.54" of rain so far. 

We ended up just under 2" here.  A mild 40 right now.   Central MD got all the rain they could possibly want.    The run of the Euro that showed the Hecs/Mecs was right on precip totals just not temps.    Radar estimated qpf totals. 

image.png.1e1cea45521b5d0b120750100d2a4119.png

image.png.7500037efa08831b20e5d9d7453004c9.png

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

We ended up just under 2" here.  A mild 40 right now.   Central MD got all the rain they could possibly want.    The run of the Euro that showed the Hecs/Mecs was right as precip totals just not temps.   

image.png.1e1cea45521b5d0b120750100d2a4119.png

image.png.7500037efa08831b20e5d9d7453004c9.png

Thanks - my gauge was frozen for several hours yesterday and I'm not totally convinced that my amount is accurate - 1.5"+ is a lot of rain...but we got a LOT of rain. LOL

• Haha 1

6z is still a close miss, but at this lead time, we just want to storm to keep showing up, then we can start worrying about whos getting what (if anything).

Looping through the panels, its a rather wonky/sloppy presentation, but no storm seems to come easy round here.  

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_29.png

and IF the models have a clue, like blizz suggested earlier, the pattern looks ripe for the pickings.  Doesnt mean we score one, but the odds seem to be trending more favorable for us for the holidays and into the New Year.  Best look IMO in some time.  How long the window stays open....dunno, but it'll be open for a while. 

1 minute ago, Voyager said:

That I knew, but Ocala is down the peninsula some. I figured temps that cold didn't make it that far south. 

So did a lot of orange growers early in Florida's history.   Between Ocala and Orlando there are a lot of old orange groves turned into housing because the farmers kept taking hits/losses.  It is a pretty interesting history of how it all played out. 

• Like 1