Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2022 New England Foliage Thread

The 4 Seasons

19 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Raking's for suckers, there's much easier ways to do it, not sure what the Iceberg's sweeper is though, my neighbor had a sweeper when I was a kid and you couldn't get 20 feet without it getting full.

Something about showing youth and vigor…and being poor. I’m bringing in the big guns this weekend lol. 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

This morning and then afternoon. Was windy today so more disaster came down , but still better than morning 

foP5zRf.jpg6SnpJw9.jpg

dude, my oaks all shit themselves this week. It’s a disaster. however, once I get it cleaned up I might be good to go for a couple weeks lol

36 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

dude, my oaks all shit themselves this week. It’s a disaster. however, once I get it cleaned up I might be good to go for a couple weeks lol

About 90% bare here as you can see. We have all species of Oaks. I was in Atlanta/ Roswell , GA all week and was surprised that their leaves were as far along as they were. They had a few frosts last week they were telling us . Stein has a stranglehold down there. All the grass is torched like ours was all summer . It’s been extremely dry down there 

2 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Oaks finally kicking change into gear here

How far behind are your Oaks vs here ? You have had 2-3 freezes into the 20’s  and my lowest temp this autumn is 37. So leaf change is almost entirely sunlight / lack of and cool daytime temps and much less if anything to to do with frosts and freezes . 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

How far behind are your Oaks vs here ? You have had 2-3 freezes into the 20’s  and my lowest temp this autumn is 37. So leaf change is almost entirely sunlight / lack of and cool daytime temps and much less if anything to to do with frosts and freezes . 

crazy we've had 7 days so far <32. Mid 20s one night 

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

All flowers planted in spring still growing and blooming .. peppers in garden still growing. I pulled tomato plants . Got angry and sick of looking at them this late 

Could be worse (better?)  When the kids/grandkids lived in central IL (DEC), one of our visits included New Year's Day 2012, and they were still harvesting greens from their cold frame on Jan 3.  (And the front yard sycamore still had some leaves.)

8 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Could be worse (better?)  When the kids/grandkids lived in central IL (DEC), one of our visits included New Year's Day 2012, and they were still harvesting greens from their cold frame on Jan 3.  (And the front yard sycamore still had some leaves.)

That sounds absolutely awful .

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That’s not true. Daytime temps matter, but the cold nights mostly  do it. As I said, it is also species dependent. Whineminster still has leaves and he’s been colder than you in ORH county. I have species that have been bare a week and some now half gone. I’ve seen others yellow and orange still. 

24 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That’s not true. Daytime temps matter, but the cold nights mostly  do it. As I said, it is also species dependent. Whineminster still has leaves and he’s been colder than you in ORH county. I have species that have been bare a week and some now half gone. I’ve seen others yellow and orange still. 

I have a ton more Oaks than you do and all species . I live in an Oak forest. You have like 4 scattered around . It’s mainly due to cool night and sunny days and cooler daytime temps . The coastal plain is last for a reason .. just like the mountains of NNE are first 

42 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I have a ton more Oaks than you do and all species . I live in an Oak forest. You have like 4 scattered around . It’s mainly due to cool night and sunny days and cooler daytime temps . The coastal plain is last for a reason .. just like the mountains of NNE are first 

Beer

17 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

about a 1-2wks

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

C47105E0-DE56-4C63-A7D4-BD42CC72D13E.jpeg

I love how you won’t post pictures of your Oaks yet Somehow they’re all this rare species  that is still green Half of mine are that species . Here’s 2 more pics . It’s just different climate zones between here in the hills and you in  S Wey on the water . Post pics like I do  

3UfDZGN.jpgAB4FCdA.jpg

21 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I love how you won’t post pictures of your Oaks yet Somehow they’re all this rare species  that is still green Half of mine are that species . Here’s 2 more pics . It’s just different climate zones between here in the hills and you in  S Wey on the water . Post pics like I do  

3UfDZGN.jpgAB4FCdA.jpg

You still skipped whineminster 

This is what I mean. I two trees (not pictured) that have been bare for over a week. One 75%bare. One just dropping. And the others about half down. But I’ve gone to neighborhoods that look like your street. You probably have a lot of the white oak that drop. 
 Your average temp has not been much cooler. 

7B8C06D2-5DC3-427D-9345-728FDFA21818.jpeg

16 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

This is what I mean. I two trees (not pictured) that have been bare for over a week. One 75%bare. One just dropping. And the others about half down. But I’ve gone to neighborhoods that look like your street. You probably have a lot of the white oak that drop. 
 Your average temp has not been much cooler. 

7B8C06D2-5DC3-427D-9345-728FDFA21818.jpeg

Yeah you loaded. All mine of those species shed leaves this week other than the low hanging branches that hold them all winter. I can also see those still have yellow color . About 7-10 days behind the hills 

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah you loaded. All mine of those species shed leaves this week other than the low hanging branches that hold them all winter. I can also see those still have yellow color . About 7-10 days behind the hills 

LOL. Much of them are down. You may have averaged a degree cooler than me this fall. 

33 minutes ago, White Rain said:

We should have the rest off around here in a few days with the winds so likely they are close if not bare. Only 4 miles or so from Westminster here. Westminster doesn’t radiate like Hubbardston does. 

Yeah I think his area is like mine . May not have seen frost or freeze. Have you?