Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,272
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Iceberg
    Newest Member
    Iceberg
    Joined

2022 NNE Warm Season Thread


PhineasC
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

The NNE time honored tradition of black fly season has commenced in this area of SVT.  Today was the first day they were noticeably annoying.

Nothing here yet. My golf game was the only thing annoying tonight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a stretch of weather.  Getting a solid tan going after a week of earning turns... skinning up snow for an hour with this strong sun beating down and reflecting back up at you, got quite the farmer tan going on right now.

First pic from today, other pics from a blend of other days this week.

540919008_May7small.thumb.jpg.c825a66ce88d00b39f53c1fe83bc855f.jpg

279218296_10104783002765980_190653769324

279624511_10104783002830850_733798537135

279387628_10104783002905700_621031597810

279513400_10104783002810890_750447751366

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Large diurnal temperature ranges are the hallmark of great early warm season weather.  The mountain valleys have been seeing consistent 20s at night this week, followed by 60s and 70s by day.  Relative humidity's have been 10-20% at their lowest.  This has led to snow preservation that's fairly good given the temperatures.  Dry air like they have out west does preserve the snow... especially north or east facing aspects.

The east slope gets the afternoon shadows, while the south and west facing aspects take the solar brunt during the highest diurnal temperatures.  It makes a big difference in the spring.  Maximum solar exposure on these east slope areas are during the coldest diurnal time of day (sunrise and morning).

279926320_10104785605165750_838906240489

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Large diurnal temperature ranges are the hallmark of great early warm season weather.  The mountain valleys have been seeing consistent 20s at night this week, followed by 60s and 70s by day.  Relative humidity's have been 10-20% at their lowest.  This has led to snow preservation that's fairly good given the temperatures.  Dry air like they have out west does preserve the snow... especially north or east facing aspects.

The east slope gets the afternoon shadows, while the south and west facing aspects take the solar brunt during the highest diurnal temperatures.  It makes a big difference in the spring.  Maximum solar exposure on these east slope areas are during the coldest diurnal time of day (sunrise and morning).

279926320_10104785605165750_838906240489

Beautiful picture. We started at 23 yesterday morning and around 4 we were at 66. My kids wanted to go inside because it was "too hot out" lol. That sun is strong right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yay, it's warm season!!! Booo, the black flies have hatched :(

70s and 80s in the forecast for BW and the surrounding area for the next 3-4days!

I went for a walk last night. Knee is coming along, just slower than I was hoping. Taking it one day at a time. That's all we really can do about anything

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hot day in NNE for Mid May.  Berlin at 3pm is 90F.  I'm seeing quite a few 90-92F readings on people's home weather stations.  I'm not happy with this heat.  It can stay 70 to 75F with dews in the 40's all summer!

Looking forward to some rain.  Black flies will probably peak in my area this weekend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Hot day in NNE for Mid May.  Berlin at 3pm is 90F.  I'm seeing quite a few 90-92F readings on people's home weather stations.  I'm not happy with this heat.  It can stay 70 to 75F with dews in the 40's all summer!

Looking forward to some rain.  Black flies will probably peak in my area this weekend.

PQI at 91.  Forecast for my area from GYX has tomorrow at 92, up 4° from the morning number. 
Black flies and mosquitos arrived here in force yesterday, and no messing around looking at the menu this time - they had the knives (straws for skeeters) out and sharpened from the start.  I had some outdoor tasks that occupied both hands yesterday and the little fiends took advantage.  :fulltilt:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Patriot21 said:

81 when I got home at 4pm. Down to 59 at 9pm and I'm pretty surprised it cooled down so quickly. Got the windows open with box fan blowing in the night air. Hung out outside until dusk when little flying insects started getting too annoying. Weather-wise felt great though

Wow, pretty quick drop to 59F by 9pm. You might be the coolest spot in NNE right now..or one of.  Outside of some spot right on the water. 

69F here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Wow, pretty quick drop to 59F by 9pm. You might be the coolest spot in NNE right now..or one of.  Outside of some spot right on the water. 

69F here.

I was surprised when I saw 59 on the thermometer. Whenever we get our first warm spell I am always worrying it's gonna be miserable lol. I really shouldn't be surprised though cause this specific location cools down so quickly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Wow, pretty quick drop to 59F by 9pm. You might be the coolest spot in NNE right now..or one of.  Outside of some spot right on the water. 

69F here.

It's interesting how that area has some large differences in temps tonight.  Classic elevated valley type of night in E.VT?  Spots with any wind at all are 67-72F while no wind is 60-62F.

1263183534_May13EVT.thumb.jpg.fcad74b3231f008ba1a087fdf82f1f9e.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, PhineasC said:

84 was the high in Randolph. Classic early warmth over the top. The spring has sucked down in MD/DE so far. Chilly, dreary, windy.

Add NJ to the dreary May.   A number of popular beach areas are struggling to repair damage from last weekend's extended gales before Memorial Day weekend.  Saw some dramatic pics of once-sloping beaches now almost level and backed by "cliffs" 5-6 feet (up to 15) where waves had cut into the dunes behind.  

85/43 yesterday, 18° AN and 6th straight with diurnal range 40+.  Hope today breaks that run, as morning low was 52.  Up to 80 by 10 AM so "10 after 10" might make it close.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

Add NJ to the dreary May.   A number of popular beach areas are struggling to repair damage from last weekend's extended gales before Memorial Day weekend.  Saw some dramatic pics of once-sloping beaches now almost level and backed by "cliffs" 5-6 feet (up to 15) where waves had cut into the dunes behind.  

85/43 yesterday, 18° AN and 6th straight with diurnal range 40+.  Hope today breaks that run, as morning low was 52.  Up to 80 by 10 AM so "10 after 10" might make it close.

Yeah, last weekend into the early week was nuts at the beach. Day after day of wind.

The best spring weather is in NNE right now, bar none.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, last weekend into the early week was nuts at the beach. Day after day of wind.

The best spring weather is in NNE right now, bar none.

Northern Maine on late-spring west winds, some of their hottest days on record.  The 3 days 96/95/94 on 5/22-24/77 is unmatched at CAR, with only the 95/96/93 of 6/18-20/2020 close to it. 
CAR has recorded 12 official heatwaves since records began in 1939, two of which lasted 4 days - 6/15-18/1949 and 8/29-9/1/2010. 
Hottest 3-day averages:
95.0 for 5/22-24/1977;
94.7 for 6/18-20/2020;
93.0 for 8/3-5/1944.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Jspin is very quiet when it warms up. Hate to see it.

He’s old school, the science professor.  No need to post just for the sake of posting, ha.  Me on the other hand…

Looks like cloud over and rain in the late afternoon/early evening season has begun.  Been thundering for an hour it seems like but finally started raining.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, tamarack said:

F irst cloudy sky here since May 6, quite the run.  Yesterday's 90/52 eclipsed the 91 on 5/18/2017 for earliest 90+.  Dews were moderate - upper 50s - and the leaves are bursting out.

Earliest 90 on record for you, not sure what it means but it feels impressive, ha.

And yeah woke up today to rain, fog and clouds.  First time since a week ago Thursday not waking up to full sunshine.  A solid 9-10 days.

Got dumped on with rain this morning, 1.09” in Stratus after I emptied 0.31” late last night at like 11pm.

Good drink for the neighborhood here around Stowe Country Club this morning.

240968505_May15Rain.jpg.5515a8ebecd372bbef7b13496a67313f.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Earliest 90 on record for you, not sure what it means but it feels impressive, ha.

And yeah woke up today to rain, fog and clouds.  First time since a week ago Thursday not waking up to full sunshine.  A solid 9-10 days.

Got dumped on with rain this morning, 1.09” in Stratus after I emptied 0.31” late last night at like 11pm.

Good drink for the neighborhood here around Stowe Country Club this morning.

240968505_May15Rain.jpg.5515a8ebecd372bbef7b13496a67313f.jpg

 

Earliest in the year.  We hit 89 on April 28, 2009 and May 3, 2001, but yesterday was the first 90.  Next in line is 91 on May 18, 2017 then 90 on June 7 last year.

Looks like about 0.15" in the gauge, barely enough to wet the ground.  Hoping for more before the CF and dry air arrive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...