Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

20 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

@pawatch @Wmsptwx, you will have to let us know what that circled temp feels like.    In the meantime, Math Teachers will frown at it.

image.thumb.png.7b5ae020ee1119a4474c7e24ee95a095.png

Bubb

I have seen to many of them this winter. Only to have a rain a day later.

Our temps have been all over. It’s like Mother Nature playing temperatures like the power ball numbers.

60 33 40 13 58 24 :lol:

Just now, pawatch said:

Bubb

I have seen to many of them this winter. Only to have a rain a day later.

Our temps have been all over. It’s like Mother Nature playing temperatures like the power ball numbers.

60 33 40 13 58 24 :lol:

Yea, but when have you seen a - (negative) Zero?    Is negative zero colder or warmer than "positive zero".

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Negative zero is when the actual temp is - 0.2. Zero is when the temp is 0.2

That's all I got. :) 

You have two choices....punch yourself in the mouth or try to follow the math nerd technobabble below.   Choose wisely! 

There is a negative 00, it just happens to be equal to the normal zero. For each real number aa, we have a number a−a such that a+(a)=0a+(−a)=0. So for 00, we have 0+(0)=00+(−0)=0. However, 00 also has the property that 0+b=b0+b=b for any bb. So 0=0−0=0 be canceling the 00 on the left hand side.

Cite
Follow

answered Feb 7, 2014 at 17:18
6f5e3b4950f635f3e47bcfb7b6200d50?s=64&d=
Dylan Yott
6,7962020 silver badges3737 bronze badges

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

You have two choices....punch yourself in the mouth or try to follow the math nerd technobabble below.   Choose wisely! 

There is a negative 00, it just happens to be equal to the normal zero. For each real number aa, we have a number a−a such that a+(a)=0a+(−a)=0. So for 00, we have 0+(0)=00+(−0)=0. However, 00 also has the property that 0+b=b0+b=b for any bb. So 0=0−0=0 be canceling the 00 on the left hand side.

Cite
Follow

Dylan Yott

Punch Myself GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, but when have you seen a - (negative) Zero?    Is negative zero colder or warmer than "positive zero".

17 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Negative zero is when the actual temp is - 0.2. Zero is when the temp is 0.2

That's all I got. :) 

^This. You see negative zeroes in things like 5-min obs that do that Fahrenheit to Celsius to Fahrenheit thing, as -18C = -0.4F which shows up as -0 on there.

2 minutes ago, TimB said:

^This. You see negative zeroes in things like 5-min obs that do that Fahrenheit to Celsius to Fahrenheit thing, as -18C = -0.4F which shows up as -0 on there.

Wait a minute here - are you trying to suggest that I was right?

All I was trying to do was to be funny. :) (okay, and use some logic)

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

Wait a minute here - are you trying to suggest that I was right?

All I was trying to do was to be funny. :) (okay, and use some logic)

No, you’re correct for sure. Signed zero in weather is definitely a matter of whether the unrounded number is positive or negative.

2 minutes ago, TimB said:

No, you’re correct for sure. Signed zero in weather is definitely a matter of whether the unrounded number is positive or negative.

Would think it would be MUCH more useful in Celsius, as zero actually means something and isn’t an arbitrary point on a scale.

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Cite
Follow

Dylan Yott

Well, now that my lip is bleeding...

• Haha 1

Boy, the 12 nam is certainly interesting for the upcoming winter event.  Breaking it down, the precip starts as primarily sleet around 0Z.  It sleets for 3-4 hours until around 4z, accumulating roughly 0.7".  It then changes to freezing rain with only light amounts of around 0.1" (not accrual) between 4z and 13z.  It then changes to rain for the remainder of the event, which is only another 3-4 hours, with less than 0.1".  Total qpf for the event is about 0.4" of liquid.  Temp remains between 32-33 until the event ends by 16z.  Then the temp goes up to the upper 30's for the afternoon before crashing back down below freezing by around 23z.

The only interesting (frozen) part of the storm will be the sleet for several hours Thursday evening (imo).  This breakdown is for the area roughly between me and MDT.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, paweather said:

WSW event?

Technically,  it would be for many on this map but this similar map has been shown a few days out several times this year...and has never come to pass.  So caveats...

Little to no snow for most of the LSV on the GFS.   Heck,  not much snow for most of PA. 

image.thumb.png.35cad532cb67007a5716cf06c3f8ba1f.png