Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

17 here now after a low of 6. 

My point and click was 2-4" last night, I've been lowered to 1-3". 

For those that get more, enjoy! :)  

You are near MDT and only have a point and click of 1-3"?    Personally I would say 3.8" for MDT if I was forecasting.  Surprised they do not go 2-4 for you. 

7 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

We are up 15 from the low.  18 with a low of 3.    Pretty expected I think.  Mid 20's to upper 20's when the snow gets here and maybe some drop when it moistens the column. 

image.thumb.png.a3324c04fce12361881b5e25f5fc5419.png

It certainly was expected, but I was still weenie wishing that it would be colder later so that, perhaps, we wouldn't go as far above freezing tomorrow morning.

Good morning from beautiful West Hempfield Township in Lancaster County, where we’re just hoping to have some white left on the ground come Monday morning. Dropped to 4 last night but temp rising quick, up to 18 now.  Haven’t followed much recently, as I was out celebrating the 40th Bday last night. Feeling a little rough this morning ha. Good luck to everyone’s snow chances and football teams today!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, canderson said:

I was curious so I asked CTP about why there are no wind advisories.  

They had a great response:

Chris Anderson When there is already a winter storm advisory or warning in effect for an area, there isn't a need/requirement to add another/separate advisory. At the point/time when the other warnings and advisories are/will not be in effect, then a wind advisory is recommended. Looking at the current forecast, this point is still 24+ hrs out for just a handful (3-4) counties. There is still time to discern whether or not the marginal wind gusts (forecast to be right at or just above 40KT) warrant issuance of a stand-alone wind advisory. If forecast confidence in a period of 40+KT gusts remains or increases for these 3 or 4 counties (and for the 3 to 6 hours such conditions might last after the winter headlines expire) we probably will do it. Gusty winds are already mentioned in much of the forecast information we have out there.

Can you please ask them why they have continually changed their forecast the last 2 days before the event even started?

What happened to making a reasonable forecast & then maybe changing it once if needed before the event?

They will change in the middle of the event and then say they had it right all along!

From HenryMargusity this morning: 

The storm is underway and has overachieved in many areas of Arkansas into Tennessee and Mississippi. Snowfall has been over 7 inches in many locations and it’s still snowing hard across Tennessee into parts of Mississippi.
Snow is also heavy across the western Carolina’s with ice also heavy in many areas of the Carolina’s this morning.
Severe storms including tornadoes are moving across south Florida where SPC took a major bust on the severe weather potential.
The surface map shows that low pressure is developing across southern Georgia and a reflection of low with the upper level system is back over Mississippi. With the wedge of cold air so entrenched, I think the low will have to go toward the coast despite the models saying that the low center is going to attack the cold and just ride through it warming everyone up above freezing. We have to see just how much that cold air will hold it’s ground as the low comes up.
Heavy snow with rates of 1 inch per hour will come north up the mountains today into this evening. We may have a few hours of snow evaporating due to the dryness of the air.
Heavy snow will move into western PA, NY, Northeast and Ontario tonight and last into Monday morning. These areas will see 12 inches perhaps more snow due to high ratios.
Next weekend, we may have to go through this all over again.

4 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Good morning from beautiful West Hempfield Township in Lancaster County, where we’re just hoping to have some white left on the ground come Monday morning. Dropped to 4 last night but temp rising quick, up to 18 now.  Haven’t followed much recently, as I was out celebrating the 40th Bday last night. Feeling a little rough this morning ha. Good luck to everyone’s snow chances and football teams today!

Happy belated birthday friend! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Happy 40th!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mahantango#1 said:

From HenryMargusity this morning: 

The storm is underway and has overachieved in many areas of Arkansas into Tennessee and Mississippi. Snowfall has been over 7 inches in many locations and it’s still snowing hard across Tennessee into parts of Mississippi.
Snow is also heavy across the western Carolina’s with ice also heavy in many areas of the Carolina’s this morning.
Severe storms including tornadoes are moving across south Florida where SPC took a major bust on the severe weather potential.
The surface map shows that low pressure is developing across southern Georgia and a reflection of low with the upper level system is back over Mississippi. With the wedge of cold air so entrenched, I think the low will have to go toward the coast despite the models saying that the low center is going to attack the cold and just ride through it warming everyone up above freezing. We have to see just how much that cold air will hold it’s ground as the low comes up.
Heavy snow with rates of 1 inch per hour will come north up the mountains today into this evening. We may have a few hours of snow evaporating due to the dryness of the air.
Heavy snow will move into western PA, NY, Northeast and Ontario tonight and last into Monday morning. These areas will see 12 inches perhaps more snow due to high ratios.
Next weekend, we may have to go through this all over again.

Henry...the king of hype. I hope he's wearing his Big Daddy hat today. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Can you please ask them why they have continually changed their forecast the last 2 days before the event even started?

What happened to making a reasonable forecast & then maybe changing it once if needed before the event?

They will change in the middle of the event and then say they had it right all along!

They addressed this actually in the post I shared on the last page. I personally have no issues with them tweaking forecasts as they go. They’ve onky reply changed MDT 3 times - from 3-7, 3-5 and now 2-4.  

• Haha 1

HRRR has 5 hours of moderate or better snow at MDT.  So if it could get to 1" an hour average we could have an over producer there.   Latest is 2-5 for most of the LSV with the ridges/somewhat higher ground in Western Cumberland going 5-6 it appears.   Lots of rain East of the Susq and well north.