Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

32 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Top of the morning to you!  Unfortunately, no I have not reached out to CTP about that issue.  I don't have any contacts there and honestly just haven't had the wherewithal to do it this time.  I've got a boy about to turn two and a nine month pregnant wife about to burst at home, so I've been worn the F out ha.  Maybe next time.

Hey @canderson what did I tell ya about that Senate bill!?  I see no reason why it won't pass the House.  Although I must admit, hearing the other folks talk does have me feeling a bit nostalgic about the early darkness around the holidays.  But bottom line is, more times than not, I'd rather have that extra hour in the evening.  I think the vast majority of people agree on not changing the clocks anymore, just a matter of whether you prefer Daylight or Standard.  I'm certainly sympathetic to the arguments on both sides and my main concern would be what this does to schooling, as I really don't want to see any changes to the school schedules.  End of the day, I think it's more good than bad.  People will adjust, as we always do.

High of 67 here yesterday, low of 35 last night.  A perfect 10 is upon us gentlemen, enjoy it.  I'll be firing up the grill for some steaks, asparagus, and potatoes.  Got to keep that pregnant belly full -- not mine of course, my wife's, although they tell me men can get pregnant now so who knows.  Chow!

I actually think schools will have no choice but to change their schedules.  It is why this attempt failed after one year in 1974.    Cannot see how you have young elementary kids standing in the dark and its not optimal for any kids really.   It's not as big of an issue in big cities as much as it is in more rural areas. Work may then have to adjust as well.   9-6 work may be coming  in that no one with children gets to work until 9 or later (at least one of the parents).    

1 minute ago, sauss06 said:

either way you look at, someone or something will be affected. As an example, if we don't "spring" ahead, youth sports will take a hit

Yea, there are definitely pros and cons to both sides.  The more it is talked about the more I hear people starting to waver in their want to have one time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

That's a great point. 

I know when i coached, we practiced until dark. Our fields locally do not have lights and our games pushed darkness. 

I personally like DST, i know many don't. In the Spring/Summer i am outside most nights until dark. But as someone above said, we are resilient, i will adjust if we stay standard 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

I know when i coached, we practiced until dark. Our fields locally do not have lights and our games pushed darkness. 

I personally like DST, i know many don't. In the Spring/Summer i am outside most nights until dark. But as someone above said, we are resilient, i will adjust if we stay standard 

We had many a baseball game get suspended due to early darkness, particularly April games. For someone who had 2 sons play from the time they were 5 and right through high school, my omission of this fact is embarrassing. 

I was fixated on darkness in December. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

We had many a baseball game get suspended due to early darkness, particularly April games. For someone who had 2 sons play from the time they were 5 and right through high school, my omission of this fact is embarrassing. 

i won't discuss age :blink:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I think the adjustment need, to stay on Standard time, would be to delay spring sports a bit.  I know that pushes it into more potential heat.   But if we were on Standard time on April 15th, for example, that is 6:48PM Sunset.  May 15 would be 7:18PM.    It is easy to see why it has been hard to adjust though.  People want a different time in winter vs. summer.  Many have no need to sit outside in December at 5:30PM except in areas of the country where it is tolerable (re: Arizona not changing times.) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I think the adjustment need, to stay on Standard time, would be to delay spring sports a bit.  I know that pushes it into more potential heat.   But if we were on Standard time on April 15th, for example, that is 6:48PM Sunset.  May 15 would be 7:18PM.    It is easy to see why it has been hard to adjust though.  People want a different time in winter vs. summer.  Many have no need to sit outside in December at 5:30PM except in areas of the country where it is tolerable (re: Arizona not changing times.) 

Congress has the bill to keep us on DST permanently. It passed the senate. 

27 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Embarrassed to say I didn't think of this either and I even umpired one year haha.  It's a really great point.  More generally, if they push back the school schedule as a result of this it would have a negative impact on all after-school curriculars.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Embarrassed to say I didn't think of this either and I even umpired one year haha.  It's a really great point.  More generally, if they push back the school schedule as a result of this it would have a negative impact on all after-school curriculars.

Some talk in schools about doing their own changes.  School starts at one time during the winter and a different time in the fall and spring. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, anotherman said:

Imagine how many more weather delays there will be with no solar radiation until after 8:00.

Yea, I mentioned that yesterday but if they move school back an hour then it may negate.   That would also necessitate businesses moving back their employees start times  in some cases. 

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

If you push back to much, there may not be a season. 

Its different now from when i was boy playing baseball. When we signed up, we were committed, from the start of the season, through allstars if you made it. Today, if a kid has a hair appointment or your friends are having a swimming party, screw your teammates. Our family vacations (if we even took one) were planned around the season. Now, vacations are first. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

If you push back to much, there may not be a season. 

Its different now from when i was boy playing baseball. When we signed up, we were committed, from the start of the season, through allstars if you made it. Today, if a kid has a hair appointment or your friends are having a swimming party, screw your teammates. Our family vacations (if we even took one) were planned around the season. Now, vacations are first. 

Yea, it is a fine line.  It is the same way with school,  Parents come and take their kids out of school, for the day or week, for all kinds of reasons that did not happen "in the past".  I have read a lot of article son this, over the past 24 hours, and the benefits that keep getting pushed are less heart attacks, more spending and less car crashes and less robberies.  I would have thought something like this would have been better to go to a national vote so everyone can think of their own likes and dislikes and vote accordingly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It's been interesting to read the thoughts of you who have shared about the time change issue. There is a lot that could potentially be impacted if there's a change. I think it's great that while there are some on both sides of the ledger, everyone has been respectful of the thoughts of each other. 

We have been more civilized than weather talk it seems :-).