• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Upstate/Eastern New York- Jan 5-7 Lake Effect Snow Event

14 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

That storm system will determine how long this event last. Lots to be ironed out but feel pretty confident the strongest band will be overnight weds into thurs morning 1-2" per.

Maybe I sleep all day Wednesday so I can chase all night then head in to work Thursday AM?  That 18-24 stripe is right over my head.  Hard not getting excited right now!  

261E3770-91A6-456B-A978-8F6A03A1C6FD.jpeg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Maybe I sleep all day Wednesday so I can chase all night then head in to work Thursday AM?  That 18-24 stripe is right over my head.  Hard not getting excited right now!  

261E3770-91A6-456B-A978-8F6A03A1C6FD.jpeg

@BuffaloWeather, as much as I want to route for snow for everyone else on here too... You're the LAST one I want to see get this.... Mr. "It can snow 6 inches an hour and then warm to the 80s the next day so my hairy legs can catch fire."

What a waste of snow.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

@BuffaloWeather, as much as I want to route for snow for everyone else on here too... You're the LAST one I want to see get this.... Mr. "It can snow 6 inches an hour and then warm to the 80s the next day so my hairy legs can catch fire."

What a waste of snow.

Hey now. I think I'm one of the only ones here who ski, snowboard, and play ice hockey all winter. Not to mention winter hikes. What good is snow if you just look at it outside? :P

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Need some photo op locations.  Tired of filming in my little yard.  Plus my neighbors all think I’m a weirdo when I’m walking around taking videos of clouds.  

I had a neighbor stop me last winter when I was videoing during the night because they thought I was being "suspicious."

I should have said, "Nah I am just a snow weenie."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Hey now. I think I'm one of the only ones here who ski, snowboard, and play ice hockey all winter. Not to mention winter hikes. What good is snow if you just look at it outside? :P

I snowshoe and do snow hikes...not "snow hike up thousands and thousands of feet mountains" though...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

I had a neighbor stop me last winter when I was videoing during the night because they thought I was being "suspicious."

I should have said, "Nah I am just a snow weenie."

Maybe we should go in on matching jackets so people know our intentions?  Could get them stitched to say something like weather squad, I’m not a pedo I’m a weenie… yeah might need to work on the verbiage.   

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

I snowshoe and do snow hikes...not "snow hike up thousands and thousands of feet mountains" though...

Don't get me wrong I love the snow, especially big LES events. I grew up playing ice hockey on frozen ponds with my dad. With temperatures the last decade its tough to do, nothing freezes anymore. They used to have the winterfest at delaware park and ice skate on the water with hockey games. The warm winters virtually canceled that event. :(

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Maybe we should go in on matching jackets so people know our intentions?  Could get them stitched to say something like weather squad, I’m not a pedo I’m a weenie… yeah might need to work on the verbiage.   

Bahahaha...

"Snowflake Squad...Got any of that.....white stuff?"

This event seems strongly driven by thermal troughing which I think is a tough wild card to bank on.  A secondary 500mb vort max/shortwave does come through on Thursday giving this event somewhat a of a two pronged evolution but I'm not completely sold on this being a blockbuster just yet.  Lot of moving parts on this one.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

You don't often see the band stretch into St. Lawrence county like that.

And you dont see a band that deep into Monroe county unless its a hybrid event with an arctic frontal boundary enhancing a lake band.  I'm staying conservative in my backyard with 2-3" in the best scenario.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DeltaT13 said:

This event seems strongly driven by thermal troughing which I think is a tough wild card to bank on.  A secondary 500mb vort max does come through on Thursday giving this event somewhat a of a two pronged evolution but I'm not completely sold on this being a blockbuster just yet.  Lot of moving parts on this one.  

Delta you could score several inches on west side. 

3 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Delta you could score several inches on west side. 

Here's hoping.  2-3 inches is usually what we get as the band whiplashes back and forth.  During the 12/26 event last year I measured 1.3, but winds were light and inland penetration was not ideal in that setup.

17 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Here's hoping.  2-3 inches is usually what we get as the band whiplashes back and forth.  During the 12/26 event last year I measured 1.3, but winds were light and inland penetration was not ideal in that setup.

That trough set up is important your right. If it can interact well with band i think you get a shot at 4 to 6. Usually upper with erie band into roc. Unless your in riga and can get 8. Lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I used to do every one of those things…then I had kids…and then they got into sports…I no longer do those things…I live vicariously through you HairyLegBuffaloWeather!!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

You are a bit of an enigma with your I love snow but your "I don't care if it lasts" ideology....because then you make statements about how our lack of cold has ruined a lot of outdoor activities around here.   Snow duration and cold go hand in hand my man!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

You are a bit of an enigma with your I love snow but your "I don't care if it lasts" ideology....because then you make statements about how our lack of cold has ruined a lot of outdoor activities around here.   Snow duration and cold go hand in hand my man!

Yeah I'm quite weird when it comes to what I cheer for with weather. In any season but winter I want lots of heat, humidity, and sun. In winter if its not going to snow I usually cheer for sun/warmth. Cold/dry is the absolute worst pattern unless there is already a good base for skiing/boarding. Will never be a fan of extreme cold, 25-30 degrees with frequent snows would be my ideal winter pattern. How was the game yesterday?

54 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah I'm quite weird when it comes to what I cheer for with weather. In any season but winter I want lots of heat, humidity, and sun. In winter if its not going to snow I usually cheer for sun/warmth. Cold/dry is the absolute worst pattern unless there is already a good base for skiing/boarding. Will never be a fan of extreme cold, 25-30 degrees with frequent snows would be my ideal winter pattern. How was the game yesterday?

But your enthusiasm for everything weather is why we love you. How ya feeling btw? You gonna be 100% for the chase? As someone already stated, might be an easy chase for you. Like out the back door easy

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

But your enthusiasm for everything weather is why we love you. How ya feeling btw? You gonna be 100% for the chase? As someone already stated, might be an easy chase for you. Like out the back door easy

Appreciate you! :hug:

I’m a equal fan of almost all extreme weather with a little bias towards strong les bands. They are like a drug, I need my fix. Not being able to see my hand in front of my head is just insane! 

I’m feeling better, went to see a neurologist to try to find out why I passed out unconscious in November, he ruled out kidney stones so still have no idea why I don’t remember 5 mins of my life. It might be seizures, but never had one before. I had an MRI of my brain last week and going over with doctor in a few weeks. MRIs are not fun I’m pretty claustrophobic so it was rough. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

The game was great. Honestly one of my favorite games I’ve ever been too.  The only fans there seemed to be the true diehards as it had to only be about 70 percent full. The light snow that fell the entire game didn’t amount to anything but gave great ambiance, and they were perfect dendrites at that.  No annoying fans from the other team, because well, it was the falcons haha. Just a quintessential Buffalo game, and a clutch win. 

• Like 2