• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York- Jan 5-7 Lake Effect Snow Event

47 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Sure! The Lake Michigan shoreline has a FANTASTIC state park system, along with community parks (where you can often park for free and then go swimming in the lake.) The natural sand dunes that exist along the shoreline are a sight to see. During the winter, the way the wind blows, the ice structures that form along the lake (different every year) are phenomenal. The communities along the lake also really invest in having celebrations and festivals throughout the year. (See Holland ,Grand Haven, etc...)

As far as pace of life....when my wife and I went back to visit this summer, we were reminded of the "Michigan Goodbye." You start saying bye and then an hour later you're still enjoying each other's company. Relationships have more priority than here. New Yorkers, in my opinion, are uptight and prioritize tasks and time over relationships.

People here are also stand-offish. Very generous...but have walls up. That's tough for a relational couple like us. It just takes more time...and people here apologize to us ALL the time if they feel like they are "wasting our time" or "sharing too much." We are always saying, "NO. That is what we want. RELAX."

If we hadn't moved here to be closer to family, we would move back to West Michigan in a heartbeat.

P.S. I love this subforum and the New Yorkers on here!

We have many of those things you've mentioned along the lake erie shoreline. They used to hold ice hockey tournaments and winterfests on Lake Erie when the lake used to freeze (which used to be every year)...

We also have this massive ice rink downtown that makes the wintertime and christmas extremely festive

8 Ways to Enjoy Canalside This Winter - Visit Buffalo Niagara

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

We have many of those things you've mentioned along the lake erie shoreline. They used to hold ice hockey tournaments and winterfests on Lake Erie when the lake used to freeze (which used to be every year)...

We also have this massive ice rink downtown that makes the wintertime and christmas extremely festive

8 Ways to Enjoy Canalside This Winter - Visit Buffalo Niagara

That looks fun. Really bummed, seems Christmas season went by extra quickly this year. Can we extend by a month or so? ;)

56 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Schools dropping like flies…Amherst, Depew on top of BPS…and my kids were just told Williamsville CSD closed

Amherst, geez...they are on the hairy edge of getting zilch (IMO), that is before tomorrow at least.  Perhaps later tomorrow or tomorrow night when the next shortwave approaches they might get in the game..  Anyway, that was a bold call.  

3 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Amherst, geez...they are on the hairy edge of getting zilch (IMO), that is before tomorrow at least.  Perhaps later tomorrow or tomorrow night when the next shortwave approaches they might get in the game..  Anyway, that was a bold call.  

I agree. I feel Williamsville where I live and my kids go to school is more primed for better numbers. Amherst central is near Snyder about 8 miles from here due west. My house neighborhood is near maple and transit roughly 3 miles north of the airport. 

5 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Local Mets and NWS has that area into the 4-8” zone, my area 8-12 but right on the edge of 10-18

14 minutes ago, Buckeyes_Suck said:

Probably has more to do with ability to implement remote learning. 

Yes but from what I’ve seen all districts have chosen not to remote learn tomorrow and to just close completely. That was an option but being the first snow day of the year almost all schools declined for remote learning and just gave everyone an old fashioned snow day! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Yes but from what I’ve seen all districts have chosen not to remote learn tomorrow and to just close completely. That was an option but being the first snow day of the year almost all schools declined for remote learning and just gave everyone an old fashioned snow day! 

Well that’s just crap. Now kids will resort to CNN and TikTok

• Haha 1