Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2021/2022 January Thread

AMZ8990

22 minutes ago, *Flash* said:

I'll just go ahead and ask. When you (or anyone) says, 'NAMing', are you referencing model bias with respective to mid-layer thermals/overdone trough amplification? Just want to make sure I follow.

NAM likes to show us getting buried in snow in the 60-84 hour range. Beautiful clown maps that are good for daydreams of winter wonderlands, but they rarely materialize.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mr. Kevin said:

Imo, it has the tendency to overhype stuff, or it did in the past alot, only to come back to reality as we got closer. Its actually not as bad as years ago, but the 84hr frames definitely need to be taken with a grain of salt. I know that can be with all models, but the nam was notorious with it

Got it. I recall the over-exaggeration of QPF but the timing aspect makes sense. 

Yeah, the NAM is like the old DGEX.  Just gets way too amped outside of 48 hours at times.  

The 12z RGEM and NAM looked fairly putrid.

The 12z GFS was fairly close to something good on the 3rd.  It actually turned the corner.  That is likely 6-10"(or more) for the mountains if that track were to verify.  CMC was more backend snow showers and flurries.

• Like 1

12z GFS....Verbatim, that is a very active winter pattern and is a stellar run.  I am currently just looking for opportunities vs narrowing in on details.  Remember, I just look for windows where it can snow.  We have had exactly zero up to this point this winter.  By my count there are four opportunities for wintery weather on that run alone.  Now, obviously the details will change, but my takeaway from that run is we are going to be on along the battle lines between cold and warm.  If you want to see a big snow(or no snow if you are south of the demarcation line), that is the pattern.  

Oddly, and I have toyed with this for several weeks.  I have often wondered if the NAO was weaker if the western trough would have been allowed eastward.  That run was a good test of that theory.  

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

Again, this is Carvers Gap.  Just using this account since it has more room for attachments.  Looks like cold is locked in for Jan 3-4.  Here is the 10day Jan5-15th temp anomaly maps from both the GEFS and GESP.  There is even a warm-up embedded in that graphic.  BN temps during our coldest weeks of the year.  Literally cannot ask for a better temp profile during winter if it verifies.  

1914506685_ScreenShot2021-12-30at1_37_43PM.png.bac7f2692b9d59b268b26b7cd63a17f9.png

1734427586_ScreenShot2021-12-30at1_37_55PM.png.5627afb81b279deb4a056a3cac49fd82.png

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Carvers Gap said:

12z GFS....Verbatim, that is a very active winter pattern and is a stellar run.  I am currently just looking for opportunities vs narrowing in on details.  Remember, I just look for windows where it can snow.  We have had exactly zero up to this point this winter.  By my count there are four opportunities for wintery weather on that run alone.  Now, obviously the details will change, but my takeaway from that run is we are going to be on along the battle lines between cold and warm.  If you want to see a big snow(or no snow if you are south of the demarcation line), that is the pattern.  

Oddly, and I have toyed with this for several weeks.  I have often wondered if the NAO was weaker if the western trough would have been allowed eastward.  That run was a good test of that theory.  

I have pondered that irt the NAO too. I believe that is very well possible as the trough deep n2 the SW pumped the gom/se Ridge to the point it nearly connected. Had at least a semblance of a SW HP been there, the strong -NAO would of worked it's magic, I believe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel Boone said:

I have pondered that irt the NAO too. I believe that is very well possible as the trough deep n2 the SW pumped the gom/se Ridge to the point it nearly connected. Had at least a semblance of a SW HP been there, the strong -NAO would of worked it's magic, I believe.

Agree.  The strong NAO seemed to cause a buckle in that block that just didn't allow the cold to spread eastward.  If either block had been weaker, I believe we would have seen more cold.  As is, if the 12z GEFS is even close to being right, we are about to test that theory.  Not sure I have seen a trough dig from the Arctic/Greenland to Cuba.  LOL.  That is an extreme solution.  Probably means it won't verify, but maybe for suppression purposes, we want some modification there!  LOL.  Fingers crossed for split flow or we are going to be dependent on systems arriving from the Arctic for moisture if the run is taken verbatim.  I don't want to see a repeat of 17-18 - cold and dry.  With the GOM so warm, have to think some fireworks are sparked.  

I would not be surprised to see the NAO again later in the season when it is more correlated to cold.  As is, the EPO and east Pac AN heights are more traditionally(speaking of La Nina climatology) located for cold than they were in December.  Hope that works out.  At this point, looks like a pattern change of at least two weeks....TBD after that.  

And as always....things can and will change.  Just have to roll with it.

• Like 1

12z EPS is slightly slower than that great looking GEFS run, but gets there a couple of days later in the LR.  Only difference is the EPS retrogrades the trough westward vs just building the PNA ridge in place like the GEFS does.  Whether that ridge stays in place or is transient, just can't tell as we can't see past that time frame.  For now a big PNA/EPO ridge is the trend in the LR.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, AMZ8990 said:

Glad to see you posting, Flash!  Hope you and the family are doing well.

Thanks! Yeah, it's been a rough stretch of late between getting flooded out of house/home in October (should be back and at it next month) in tandem with our smallest Fry coming early (25 weeks) back in August. While we're no longer living at the NICU, I've needed to return to some semblance of sanity/normality. Model watching, storm tracking, forum participating with a cold pattern looming...trust me when I say this is just what the doctor ordered heading into 2022. :)

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, *Flash* said:

Thanks! Yeah, it's been a rough stretch of late between getting flooded out of house/home in October (should be back and at it next month) in tandem with our smallest Fry coming early (25 weeks) back in August. While we're no longer living at the NICU, I've needed to return to some semblance of sanity/normality. Model watching, storm tracking, forum participating with a cold pattern looming...trust me when I say this is just what the doctor ordered heading into 2022. :)

I should add it almost got a lot worse on 12/11/21. See the Wolfe Road/White Bluff Road intersection? That's where I live. You'll note the Kingston Springs EF-2 started just a few tenths of a mile north of our home. This spawned from the same cell that produced the Dickson/Burns EF-1 (see green track below). We essentially thread the needle as the tornado lifted at literally the perfect mile.  That freight train sound is something else!269606745_10101869003349442_2078496541812375316_n.thumb.jpg.09bf26ae6fd832ebc67a03ee1c10b36f.jpg

3 minutes ago, *Flash* said:

Wow, man.  Glad you all are out of the NICU.  Amazing what the NICU can do.  Also, had no idea you all got flooded out.  Glad to see you posting, man.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

That one went over my head, lol. Good opening run for the second half, let's hope that portends well for the Hooker-Tillman connection. 

When the coal gas plant had a "problem" that was the term that was coined.  That 18z GFS was a process upset for someone to my west.  Good opening drive for sure.  GFS with a clipper type system a few days later on the 7th.  Been a while since we have seen one of those.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic