Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2021/2022 January Thread

AMZ8990

Here's the run on the GFS:
giphy.gif?cid=790b76111975ab4cda435e80ece9d4d9ce1a7d40972ba21f&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
Looks like the 850 low tracks from Starkville, MS to around Dayton,TN, then towards Damascus, VA:
giphy.gif?cid=790b7611a5c5a2ce4c6e45a0ae70074a28c5bb3d60763a9c&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Probably way too soon to be looking at things like the 850 low track. but I'm happy that there is something to track, for now. 

Be nice if this tracked a little north of Atlanta

• Like 2

Yeah, the 12z GFS doesn't even look realistic in its run, eventually stringing together lots of small vortices and rotating them around that high.  May happened, but will have to literally see it on a satellite to believe it.  Looks like The Day after Tomorrow when it starts stringing vortices together in a line like it does at the end of its run.  LOL. This is 384 which I normally wouldn't show, but the model is doing some weird stuff in the LR.  It may verify, but the likely feedback problem on the model is producing this.

1989175918_ScreenShot2021-12-27at12_27_27PM.png.94c35ffab96f25a5246f643a0774c960.png

In the LR, looks like the trend is to retain the Aleutian high.  Still a long way out there, and modeling looks out of sync with their MJO plots.  GEPS took a step to the GEFS at 12z - though certainly not extreme as the GEFS.  So, for now looks like we have a window for winter weather with the front that passes through, then a strong warm-up, and then TBD around the 10th.

So looking at both the GEFS and GEPS finish their runs after 300.  Both show a cold pattern at 500 for much of the US between the Rockies and the Apps.  That looks more like their MJO plots.  Just wanted to add that addendum.  The GEFS looks more like the EPS now(which was a good look at 0z).   Maybe another cold shot around the 10th.

The 12z EPS is bound and determined to flip the PNA pattern.  Whether that occurs or not,  I give it an "A+" for the effort.   In all seriousness, looks like the 12z CFSv2 and GEFS leaned towards the EPS...correct or not?  Again, the irony of the EPS is that it is now a +PNA/-EPO pattern after 300.  Take a look at the surface temps...cold is cutting under those 500 heights.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Carvers Gap said:

@John1122, that is your pattern, man, on the EPS after 300.  

I love a great Pacific set up. Also very interested in the next weekend event with the Euro on board. Sure it will change 100 times between now and then on the various models but I like that all are keying on a near valley wide event. Models often struggle with the pattern after storms and once they pass things become more clear. Will have to see if that is the case with the GFS being so variable from run to run. The event this coming weekend is no surprise, as I'm going to Chattanooga for New Years and it's rare that there isn't at least a snow threat on models when I go there in a winter month.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, John1122 said:

I love a great Pacific set up. Also very interested in the next weekend event with the Euro on board. Sure it will change 100 times between now and then on the various models but I like that all are keying on a near valley wide event. Models often struggle with the pattern after storms and once they pass things become more clear. Will have to see if that is the case with the GFS being so variable from run to run. The event this coming weekend is no surprise, as I'm going to Chattanooga for New Years and it's rare that there isn't at least a snow threat on models when I go there in a winter month.

well if there is any threat for snow in Tennessee, that is definitely a way to escape it.  Just ask @nrgjeff.   Hoping we see the shakeup in the Pacific.  Would be a nice break from the consistency of the AH recently.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, John1122 said:

The great Chattanooga teleconnection.  Like clockwork.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Weenie 1

We'll go storm chasing if you're here through the weekend. 

48 minutes ago, tnweathernut said:

well if there is any threat for snow in Tennessee, that is definitely a way to escape it.  Just ask @nrgjeff.   Hoping we see the shakeup in the Pacific.  Would be a nice break from the consistency of the AH recently.

I will opine on the January cold after forecasting Wednesday and weekend severe. Feeling the latter gets muddled with Arctic air in the equation. Wednesday on the other hand features a spring-like stalled boundary.

• Like 5

As a reminder this is Carvers Gap, hence the CG and the orange 2.  I use this when I need more space for attachments.   This is my ghost account.  LOL.  Weeklies for Jan...well, really 30 day temp map centered after the first two days of Jan.  Anytime we see seasonal temps for Jan accompanied by seasonal to slightly above precip....we take.  I will swing by in a bit to comment more.  Keep in mind this is derived from the 0z run. The 12z looked even better.

231515457_ScreenShot2021-12-27at4_40_29PM.png.f548cb666fe08af39b00c29de4bf9060.png

593270046_ScreenShot2021-12-27at4_43_41PM.png.262689b15b636a9b654a074a1bcb37f7.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic