• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York-Into Winter!

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

And for 95% of the population this is phenomenal news.  Nearly all people hate winter and one part of the mass exodus from this state has certainly been the long relentless winters (taxes being the primary driver).  Something tells me that there may be a resurgence into upstate in the next decade as water woes, wildfires, rising sea levels, and catastrophic hurricanes force people back into a more stable area.  Add on a relatively reasonable housing market and it starts looking pretty appealing.  Adding 5-10 degrees into our area makes the summers a little hotter, but still manageable while shrinking the winters from 6 months of brutal cold and snow to about 3. It’s going to suck for us winter lovers but overall this is a  win for the grand majority of the Northeast. Climate change will always have winners and losers. And sadly, I think most people see this as a vast improvement going forward. I know many of my coworkers mention how winters are getting a lot easier over the past decade or so. 

This biggest losers will be the west coast, they are on fire for half the year now with receding lakes. There will be a mass migration over here the next few decades.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

It takes time for the atmosphere to respond. I don't think it will be soon enough for Christmas.

They are in Sizzlecuse. 20 to 30 days a summer in the 90s seems to be the new norm. It is miserable.

Already happening in the 'Cuse. All the Long Islanders are moving out here and all of these things are happening.

They are making the right decision 

8 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Although our winters are getting milder, we still get the relentless cloud cover from the Great Lakes. I know multiple families that are moving OUT of the area and this is one thing every one of them has mentioned: the cloudiness. So now while we are milder, I find it even more depressing because there is a lack of snow to brighten up stick season and the brown-ness. That's why I call our winters "eternal November." 40s, 40s, rain, snow showers, melt the next day...maybe a week or two of consistent winter weather... 40s...WIND....

But, the cloud cover has a huge effect on people and I think is a large player on how long people can last living in an area. The lack of Vitamin D really gets to people. People may not like snow, but the extra brightness it can provide makes a difference. 

While I agree with this from a seasonable depression standpoint, even if it was sunny all day the sun angle isn’t high enough this time of year to produce vitamin D at this latitude. That’s why winter time is when viruses circulate. It’s vitamin D deficient season.  Get your supplements! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

They are making the right decision ...for them.

Fixed. The "American Dream" thinks only of one's self and not the sacrifice of other humans or natural resources. As is being discussed by others, one of components of the west coast being on fire and in drought season is because all the implants have drained the water supply. We consume, consume, consume.... and then move on. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Fixed. The "American Dream" thinks only of one's self and not the sacrifice of other humans or natural resources. As is being discussed by others, one of components of the west coast being on fire and in drought season is because all the implants have drained the water supply. We consume, consume, consume.... and then move on. 

Price of living is way better in Cuse

1 minute ago, DeltaT13 said:

While I agree with this from a seasonable depression standpoint, even if it was sunny all day the sun angle isn’t high enough this time of year to produce vitamin D at this latitude. That’s why winter time is when viruses circulate. It’s vitamin D deficient season.  Get your supplements! 

Yes, good point. I was referring to mood levels. Even though chemically the sun may not help provide Vitamin D in winter, the lack of sun certainly affects daily attitudes.

I do, indeed take the supplements! My Vitamin D levels were soooo low when I first moved here. The doctor was shocked by how low. 

I'm just glad I'll be dead to see the full effects of climate change. Its going to be really bad. China keeps increasing their CO2 output, the only thing that might help us is the massive reduction in Chinese population coming in the next few decades due to the 1 child rule.

If these graphs don't prove that humans impact climate change I'm not sure what does. We need to get PPM down to 300-350 to stabilize the atmosphere.

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-atmospheric-carbon-dioxide

LIne graph of monthly atmospheric carbon dioxide levels and the 12-month running average

Line graph showing carbon dioxide over past million years compared to 2020 amounts

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The last few days had a monster ridge across the entire conus on all ensembles and I was getting worried as the end of the GEFS also had a strengthening PV, now the GEFS weaken the PV which is good news. Still looks warm for weeks 2/3 of December.

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_65.png

Let's get that ridge to move east and build over Alaska, and then that colder air to slide down into the East for week 4.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Tidbits is crashing due to the EC weenies. Can’t say I blame them

GFS just folded to all the other guidance. It was so much more amped than all the other models, and now its a traversing wave with 1-2" for east coast. I think GFS is the worst model, ever since that "upgrade" its been terrible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

GFS just folded to all the other guidance. It was so much more amped than all the other models, and now its a traversing wave with 1-2" for east coast. I think GFS is the worst model, ever since that "upgrade" its been terrible.

Euro has also been horrible with the upgrade 

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

I could see those of us to the south of Lake Ontario maybe getting some lake snows if the system moves far enough north off the New England coast to bring NW or WNW flow.

I was watching that band off of ontario last night, it looked really good. Checked reports this morning and over 6" fell last night.

2021&cp=0

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vortmax said:

Are we going to see any sun during the Monday to enhance the winds? 

Now that I've read the AFD, seems there's plenty of variables not optimal for a high wind event. 

I’m actually surprised the NWS hasn’t already made it a wind advisory only. And the 12z put the nail in the coffin for the Wednesday system. 

2 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

And for 95% of the population this is phenomenal news.  Nearly all people hate winter and one part of the mass exodus from this state has certainly been the long relentless winters (taxes being the primary driver).  Something tells me that there may be a resurgence into upstate in the next decade as water woes, wildfires, rising sea levels, and catastrophic hurricanes force people back into a more stable area.  Add on a relatively reasonable housing market and it starts looking pretty appealing.  Adding 5-10 degrees into our area makes the summers a little hotter, but still manageable while shrinking the winters from 6 months of brutal cold and snow to about 3. It’s going to suck for us winter lovers but overall this is a  win for the grand majority of the Northeast. Climate change will always have winners and losers. And sadly, I think most people see this as a vast improvement going forward. I know many of my coworkers mention how winters are getting a lot easier over the past decade or so. 

Well said. And with Covid dramatically changing how the world does business and speeding up the transition to e-commerce and telecommuting, the Upstate region stands to benefit significantly and I could definitely see many areas of Upstate transitioning to a knowledge-based economy going forward given our relatively low cost of living along with the other factors you mentioned. 

6 minutes ago, BGM Blizzard said:

Well said. And with Covid dramatically changing how the world does business and speeding up the transition to e-commerce and telecommuting, the Upstate region stands to benefit significantly and I could definitely see many areas of Upstate transitioning to a knowledge-based economy going forward given our relatively low cost of living along with the other factors you mentioned. 

The engineering and technology industries are definitely growing here in the CNY region.