• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York- Meteorological Fall

11 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Yes and headed right for us. In fact this evening’s forecast was very poorly handled. At 749 the NWS text read the storms over southern Ontario MAY clip the waters of Lake Ontario…

Yeah, surprised that dropped in. Don’t know if the warm lake has anything to do with it but lake temp in mid 70’s this time of year can lead to some funky weather. 

Awesome spout pics!!!

NWS isn't necessarily wrong lol

Everything is streaming NE over top of Kbuf and looks to possibly cross over Ontario later this evening..

It does look a little bit stronger than what guidance shows at the moment..So we'll see lol

Diminished SB CAPE and lapse rates will have this
convection continue to weaken as it moves across Lake Ontario,
clipping the southern shoreline. Thunderstorms will still be
possible through the evening, especially over the warmer waters of
Lake Ontario.

WUNIDS_map - 2021-09-07T215055.365.gif

53 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Yeah, surprised that dropped in. Don’t know if the warm lake has anything to do with it but lake temp in mid 70’s this time of year can lead to some funky weather. 

Awesome spout pics!!!

Weird setup on that line tonight.  Outflow boundary blew out ahead of the main line on approach to WNY and just got hung up over the lake.  Looks like it made a bit of a firing line for storms moving NE off the outflow.  

0D164491-844E-4CDE-931F-1E394AA4F800.jpeg

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Would have been some neat cloud structure with those storms building over the lake if it was day time.  Caught one strike otherwise a bit of a boring night chase.  Watching this next line swinging through but we all know it’s gonna get torn up on approach.  

I think the lake shadow is done for the season…Reversed now to a lake hose. Line got reenergized on approach over the warm lake. Nice deluge here with some lightning. 

• Like 3

Just 8 weeks before we can realistically start thinking about snow. This junky is ready!

I think we are due a bold year. 3 crap years are over. Hoping we can get good teleconnections prior to April. Might mean that we have to wait for it, which would beat having another robust November/ early December  followed by weakness. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Just 8 weeks before we can realistically start thinking about snow. This junky is ready!

I think we are due a bold year. 3 crap years are over. Hoping we can get good teleconnections prior to April. Might mean that we have to wait for it, which would beat having another robust November/ early December  followed by weakness. 

Yes give me 1 good early season event in Nov/early Dec then let it warm up for a month or so mid Dec to mid Jan then let winter set in for real mid Jan to end of March and then it can warm up. Nothing better then the winters where it just seems like we can’t even make it above freezing for 2-3 months with frequent clippers dropping a few inches of snow at a time building the base up nice and thick with no thaws at all. It seems those are becoming far less common these days than even 10-15 years ago. It could be selective memory but I feel like when I was growing up in the 2000s we had frequent long periods of pretty sustained cold and snow which just hasn’t seemed to appear since 13-14 winter. Would love a good old fashioned winter this year of temps 2 degrees below average and snowfall at like 125-150% of normal with minimum thaws. Would really be awesome to have after the last several years, though last winter wasn’t horrible as it had numerous good lake effect events but lacked sustained cold and had frequent pack destroying thaws between events. 

• Like 4

More of a quasi-zonal flow will dominate across the CONUS through
the long term period, with a series of progressive weak troughs and
ridges, of which the timing of these features will be key to what
our weather will be.

Starting off Sunday, a weak cold front will sag south across the
region, while the better mid and upper level dynamics will move
across Quebec and northern NY. With weak forcing and marginal
moisture availability will have just the SChc for a couple of showers
for areas east of Lake Ontario closer to the better dynamics.
Otherwise would expect a lot of dry time.

This boundary then becomes stationary somewhere across southern
NY/northern PA for Sunday night and Monday, before moving back
northeast through the area as a warm front sometime Monday night or
Tuesday. Several ill-timed weak mid level impulses will traverse the
region atop the stalled boundary during this time. With this in
mind, will go with SChc/low-end Chc PoPs for a few showers from time
to time, with the thinking there will be a good deal of dry time as
well.

Discrepancies amongst the global models have lessened toward the end
of the period, with the 08/12Z suite now advertising fairly good
agreement that the next cold front will arrive across the lower
Great Lakes toward the mid week timeframe bringing a renewed chance
for some better organized precipitation.

Otherwise, temperatures will be near to a bit above normal through
the period.

17 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

Welcome back Dave! When @ayuudcomes back you know winter really started. :lol:

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Yes give me 1 good early season event in Nov/early Dec then let it warm up for a month or so mid Dec to mid Jan then let winter set in for real mid Jan to end of March and then it can warm up. Nothing better then the winters where it just seems like we can’t even make it above freezing for 2-3 months with frequent clippers dropping a few inches of snow at a time building the base up nice and thick with no thaws at all. It seems those are becoming far less common these days than even 10-15 years ago. It could be selective memory but I feel like when I was growing up in the 2000s we had frequent long periods of pretty sustained cold and snow which just hasn’t seemed to appear since 13-14 winter. Would love a good old fashioned winter this year of temps 2 degrees below average and snowfall at like 125-150% of normal with minimum thaws. Would really be awesome to have after the last several years, though last winter wasn’t horrible as it had numerous good lake effect events but lacked sustained cold and had frequent pack destroying thaws between events. 

2014-2015 was my favorite winter. Just endless LES events and not too cold.

There is some good news about the climate this summer.

In regards to Arctic Ice coverage:

"We may have reached the area minimum on 9/1....we're currently about 75k above the 9/1 value of 3.19 million sq km. Still a bit too precarious to call it, but if we had a 9/1 area min, that would be the earliest min since 1992."

Also this is happening this week

image.png

• Like 1