• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Summer 2021

9 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

Its not heating up so fast today, no sun. 

A shortwave coming later today is going to hit the warm front and create a ton of shear and go kaboom, methinks. This setup doesn't require full sun (we'll still hit 90 today before all's said and done, probably). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, canderson said:

And tomorrow will be a clone copy. A good chance Wednesday sees significant severe weather and damaging winds. As long as these shortwaves keep coming like they have with the warm front parked, we're all in prime location for supercell activity. 

The NWS AFD was definitely down with tomorrow.  They suggested the shortwave today was weakening.  I hope you right though with less severe and more showers. 

17 minutes ago, canderson said:

A shortwave coming later today is going to hit the warm front and create a ton of shear and go kaboom, methinks. This setup doesn't require full sun (we'll still hit 90 today before all's said and done, probably). 

less sun....less lift for that shear you find so dear.....;)

but in truth, yeah you can get it done w/ what you described.  Just may be more rain and less kabooms

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, canderson said:

And tomorrow will be a clone copy. A good chance Wednesday sees significant severe weather and damaging winds. As long as these shortwaves keep coming like they have with the warm front parked, we're all in prime location for supercell activity. 

aren't you full of good news today :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Yes, I believe the study concluded that as well, minor but provable downstream effects.  Your intuition is on point yinzer.

You aren't kidding, hard to find a lot of support for the LSV for today.  It may by a @mahantango#1 special, or even more likely according to some of the Mesos is a Williamsport jackpot.

We don't need downpours that result in several inches of rain. With the cloud cover maybe today will be a fluke.

I don't know...I have a lot of sun with large towers shooting up already. Also, my wind is E/SE which I seem to remember from history can be a bad omen for severe weather. 

I know very little about this, but I'm riding with Canderson. I think there's going to be a lot of severe popping this afternoon.

I really, really hope I'm wrong. 

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I don't know...I have a lot of sun with large towers shooting up already. Also, my wind is E/SE which I seem to remember from history can be a bad omen for severe weather. 

I know very little about this, but I'm riding with Canderson. I think there's going to be a lot of severe popping this afternoon.

50F222B7-8A0D-4B1E-AD28-45950982A413.gif.3324a3bb9deb8fb92e1af7c62da37524.gifSPC thinks you’re right.

Concerning...Severe potential...Watch likely 

Valid 131648Z - 131815Z

Probability of Watch Issuance...80 percent

SUMMARY...Scattered storms developing will pose a risk for damaging
   winds and severe hail this afternoon/evening. A severe thunderstorm
   watch will likely be issued in the next hour.

DISCUSSION...Visible satellite shows morning clearing has given way
   to widespread cumulus development across the region. Surface
   temperatures have warmed into the low to mid 80s F amid rich
   low-level moisture characterized by dew point temperatures in the
   low to mid 70s F. This has led to rapid destabilization, with MLCAPE
   values of 1500 J/kg being analyzed across the region, and
   approaching 2000-2500 J/kg across portions of south-central
   Pennsylvania. Isolated storms are already beginning to develop, with
   a severe/maturing convective cell noted in central New York. 

This trend is expected to continue, with scattered storms expected
   across the region by early to mid afternoon. With effective bulk
   shear of 35-40 kt, storms should organize into a mixture of
   multicells and supercells, posing a risk for mainly damaging winds
   and some severe hail, and a tornado or two is possible. Given these
   trends, a severe thunderstorm watch will likely be needed for the
   region in the next hour or so.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I feel it for areas north and west of me.   Not sure about H-Burg but would it surprise anyone if they got another 1-2" today?

3 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

The ridge sure does win on this run. But maybe not decisively.

If you compare to 6Z its a pretty big change.  We went from being at the bottom of a trough to being in the middle of a double barrel ridge stretching from the GOM to Canada.   Still not hyper heat but very, very dry look.   Lots of westerlies I would think. 

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

If you compare to 6Z its a pretty big change.  We went from being at the bottom of a trough to being in the middle of a double barrel ridge stretching from the GOM to Canada.   Still not hyper heat but very, very dry look.   Lots of westerlies I would think. 

Quite dry indeed. I think it’s a foregone conclusion that the north central US gets hot to very hot in the mid to long range. I still think that means a wide range of possibilities out here, but if you look at the 200+ hour range of the CMC, there’s a definite trend and it’s not in the right direction unless your name is @Voyager.

13 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I feel it for areas north and west of me.   Not sure about H-Burg but would it surprise anyone if they got another 1-2" today?

As of now, there's nothing to suggest on radar that you're wrong. Cells are forming to our NW and moving NE. There's nothing yet to our south that would move up into our area. 

18 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

SPC thinks you’re right.

Concerning...Severe potential...Watch likely 

Valid 131648Z - 131815Z

Probability of Watch Issuance...80 percent

SUMMARY...Scattered storms developing will pose a risk for damaging
   winds and severe hail this afternoon/evening. A severe thunderstorm
   watch will likely be issued in the next hour.

DISCUSSION...Visible satellite shows morning clearing has given way
   to widespread cumulus development across the region. Surface
   temperatures have warmed into the low to mid 80s F amid rich
   low-level moisture characterized by dew point temperatures in the
   low to mid 70s F. This has led to rapid destabilization, with MLCAPE
   values of 1500 J/kg being analyzed across the region, and
   approaching 2000-2500 J/kg across portions of south-central
   Pennsylvania. Isolated storms are already beginning to develop, with
   a severe/maturing convective cell noted in central New York. 

This trend is expected to continue, with scattered storms expected
   across the region by early to mid afternoon. With effective bulk
   shear of 35-40 kt, storms should organize into a mixture of
   multicells and supercells, posing a risk for mainly damaging winds
   and some severe hail, and a tornado or two is possible. Given these
   trends, a severe thunderstorm watch will likely be needed for the
   region in the next hour or so.

The HRRR looks ominous for the MSV and USV in my opinion.  They mentioned Supercell and that is what I get from the latest run.  

image.png.5e00bb9b44c33fd37993bb855ece2353.png

6 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Quite dry indeed. I think it’s a foregone conclusion that the north central US gets hot to very hot in the mid to long range. I still think that means a wide range of possibilities out here, but if you look at the 200+ hour range of the CMC, there’s a definite trend and it’s not in the right direction unless your name is @Voyager.

110's in Canada seem very possible again.  There is a dearth of Red L's on the NE angle of the CMC I just looked at.   Seasonable temps. 

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

110's in Canada seem very possible again.  There is a dearth of Red L's on the NE angle of the CMC I just looked at.   Seasonable temps. 

Just not sure I’m buying a situation where there are 594 heights (disclaimer: in western PA), and it’s sunny and 83 in the mid-afternoon.

2 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Just not sure I’m buying a situation where there are 594 heights (disclaimer: in western PA), and it’s sunny and 83 in the mid-afternoon.

Total stretch of an explanation but thought I saw a lot of straight west and Northwesterly winds at the surface.  Not always a recipe for super heat over here.  Dry and seasonably warm. 

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Total stretch of an explanation but thought I saw a lot of straight west and Northwesterly winds at the surface.  Not always a recipe for super heat over here.  Dry and seasonably warm. 

Bingo. Light NNW wind. I knew I was missing something. Thanks!

• Like 1