Jump to content

At Least The 12th Lawn Thread


 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

I think I'm going to love this new fertilizer by Scott, triple action, gets rid of dandys, clover and crabgrass, was a bit expensive but you get what you pay for, it's pretty much killed all of the above and my lawn's looking like Kevin's, and I didn't even use Lesco. 

 

Scotts® Turf Builder® Triple Action - Scotts

Sounds great for pollinators, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/10/2021 at 5:49 PM, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So I planted my soft touch holly and pencil holly last Saturday.... we had a couple of freezing nights this week and I checked them today and they are all black and losing their leaves. I’m stunned.

Could a frost really have done that to them? They are hardy down to like -20.

And will they come back or are they toast?

Any update on these?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Any update on these?

Actually yes. I pulled them out and returned them earlier this week. There was no sign of new growth or recovery on any of the plants.

Strange to say the least. If there were any positive signs I was going to let them be. I figured after some warmth and rain they’d do something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Actually yes. I pulled them out and returned them earlier this week. There was no sign of new growth or recovery on any of the plants.

Strange to say the least. If there were any positive signs I was going to let them be. I figured after some warmth and rain they’d do something.

That sucks. I still think they would've came back after the initial shock, but I understand. What are you replacing them with?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, dendrite said:

That sucks. I still think they would've came back after the initial shock, but I understand. What are you replacing them with?

I ended up getting a few different Rhododendrons to put there. We kind of pivoted a bit on what the space behind the plants will be, so we got something that is a little bigger and will grow faster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fedex finally delivered the 5 pawpaw “trees” yesterday. I quote it because they’re pretty small, but pawpaws don’t transplant well…especially older trees. It’s recommended to plant them close together (5-10ft….mine are 8ft) because the roots in the wild tend to graft together and share nutrients. So it’ll be 3-5 years, but eventually they will flower and we’ll get some fruit. 

44260BF7-615F-4180-B67F-088B6F312BAC.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Never tried a pawpaw, always wanted to but I don't think I've never seen one at a store.

They don’t store well. You pretty much have to eat them right away when they ripen on the tree. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Deer love chestnut shoots.

I definitely found that out a couple years ago. I don't plan on removing the cages though...just wanna reduce the temptation for the chipmunks as much as I can. I had some chinkapins in a Gladware container waiting for them to start rooting and they ate right through one and got most of the nuts. Should I just leave the nuts then? I suppose they've gone this long without getting destroyed. *knock on wood*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having my yearly battle with violets. I've yet to find something that kills them.  If you don't keep on top of them they're  a nightmare.

Edit went to lawnsite.com and found a few herbacides but they can't be shipped to Massachusetts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, dendrite said:

I definitely found that out a couple years ago. I don't plan on removing the cages though...just wanna reduce the temptation for the chipmunks as much as I can. I had some chinkapins in a Gladware container waiting for them to start rooting and they ate right through one and got most of the nuts. Should I just leave the nuts then? I suppose they've gone this long without getting destroyed. *knock on wood*

Can't judge the size of that mesh from the pic.  Is it small enough to keep out small rodents?  When I planted our fruit trees I made cages from 1/4" hardware cloth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Can't judge the size of that mesh from the pic.  Is it small enough to keep out small rodents?  When I planted our fruit trees I made cages from 1/4" hardware cloth.

This is 1/2" hardware cloth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, amarshall said:

Having my yearly battle with violets. I've yet to find something that kills them.  If you don't keep on top of them they're  a nightmare.

Edit went to lawnsite.com and found a few herbacides but they can't be shipped to Massachusetts.

In Mass you have to hire a landscaper that has access to those herbicides, I have the same problem, I golf with a landscaper and he told me what to use and had the same problem, won't ship to me. In the meantime I constantly spray it with weed killer and it keeps them under control. I'm going to call a couple landscapers this year to see if they take care of them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/17/2021 at 4:56 PM, tunafish said:

let the weeds run free.  clover, dandelion, violets - let 'em grow.  

a nice diverse landscape for the pollinators.  harming the environment... savages!

I have 9,567 flowers on my property. Plenty of options for pollinators.  I don't want violets in my grass. I've never even seen a bee in the violets. I swarm my butterfly bushes.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, amarshall said:

Got someone asleep at the wheel for online shipping “the good stuff” to Massachusetts . The violets die. Maybe I found the magic bullet for knotwood.

 

 

.

Are the violets the ones with those small bulbs when you pull them out?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...