Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
At Least The 12th Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

On 7/20/2021 at 5:24 PM, Baroclinic Zone said:

I’ve been looking into renting a peat moss spreader and mixing the seed in with either peat moss or loam.  Seems to be a good way to get seed down evenly and covered for good ground contact.

I used peat this spring when I re-seeded a section of my lawn that had trees fall on it during last October's microburst. I had never used peat before, had researched that it worked well and it did. Grass came up great, I will never seed again without using a thin layer of peat on top. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 3:13 PM, Baroclinic Zone said:

So I've been looking ahead to my lawn/garden/beds and what I'll need to do.  I need to repair my lawn which has not been maintained well over the years through my own fault.  I need to start taking better care of it and I've been researching steps to do so.  Dethatching/Scarifying and over-seeding is going to be a huge piece,  I ended up purchasing this today.

https://snowjoe.com/products/sun-joe-13-inch-12-amp-electric-scarifier-lawn-dethatcher-w-collection-bag

Electric Dethather/Scarifier.  I've researched this for a couple weeks and this brand seems to be reputable and the reviews of the product are outstanding.  I'm excited to see the results.  Once i have that piece done, I'll need to over seed and I'm leaning towards a lower maintenance. TTTF.  They require less water and are more resistant to summer drought periods and disease.  In conjunction with this, I'll be doing new planting beds around the yard and I'm thinking the most efficient way to create them is to use a tiller on the areas to churn in up and than form the edges.  Lots to do.

Getting delivered today.

This is the seed I'm leaning towards.

https://www.jonathangreen.com/product/black-beauty-ultra-grass-seed.html

1 hour ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

As long as its green....I don't really care what it is. lol

Blasphemy! :lol: Honestly, that majority of people feel the same way.  My first house in PA was like 80% crabgrass and weeds during mid summer so it was always green even during hot dry spells.  My family would always come over and say "Wow, you lawn looks great- so nice and green!" Lol.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

So I've ordered my herbicides to get my current weeds under control.  Going to use a backpack sprayer and use a combination of Tenacity and Ferti-Lome (Weed Free one).  This looks to be the best 1-2 punch to know down initial weeds to get overseed process going.

I just started using Tenacity this summer as we got a puppy and am trying to avoid any chemical herbicides like 24D in his area. The active ingredient is mesotrione, a  compound derived from the bottlebrush plant. I think it also has a low risk EPA rating as well. You only need a teaspoon per gallon so your putting down such a tiny amount. 

Worked great on my crabgrass. It disrupts photosynthesis and it turns white in a week or two. 

It also is acts as a premergent and can be put down with grass seed as well. 

Screenshot_20210729-173957_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

what's the best treatment for spotted spurge as it's very prevalent this season. As our lawn continues to slowly improve from prior grub damage, the bare spots have been taken over by the spurge. I've tried a couple different weed killers that claim they are effective, but saw little to no killing. Apparently, unless you get them when they are young, they're much harder to kill; similar to crabgrass. Pulling them out is futile. I may just wait till next Spring then use a pre-emergent, but can't stand the look of them.

20 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

what's the best treatment for spotted spurge as it's very prevalent this season. As our lawn continues to slowly improve from prior grub damage, the bare spots have been taken over by the spurge. I've tried a couple different weed killers that claim they are effective, but saw little to no killing. Apparently, unless you get them when they are young, they're much harder to kill; similar to crabgrass. Pulling them out is futile. I may just wait till next Spring then use a pre-emergent, but can't stand the look of them.

Cant you just pull by hand if its big enough?  I don't have any in lawn, but some in flower beds that I just pull.  You can always do the Roundup paint brush method too.  I think your right, it they are getting big the normal weed killers wont work, like Crabgrass like you mentioned.

Cant you just pull by hand if its big enough?  I don't have any in lawn, but some in flower beds that I just pull.  You can always do the Roundup paint brush method too.  I think your right, it they are getting big the normal weed killers wont work, like Crabgrass like you mentioned.
There's way to much to pull out. Probably 2000sqft worth.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

On 7/29/2021 at 12:07 PM, Baroclinic Zone said:

So I've ordered my herbicides to get my current weeds under control.  Going to use a backpack sprayer and use a combination of Tenacity and Ferti-Lome (Weed Free one).  This looks to be the best 1-2 punch to know down initial weeds to get overseed process going.

It has arrived

This is the best the back lawn has looked since 2009. Three apps of the coop poop fertilizer in the spring followed by all of the rain and cool temps turned it into Ireland back there. The clover is going wild too (good thing). Unfortunately it’s been a little too wet and cool for the pawpaws that are north of their natural range. Some of them have yellowing leaves which look almost like they’re going into cool season dormancy rather than disease related. The 4” and 8” soil temps are 69° and I’ll assume they prefer 75-80° in the summer. 

On 7/23/2021 at 2:21 PM, Baroclinic Zone said:

How have I never heard of this site?  It's a gem for products.

https://www.domyown.com/

I've been using the Demon WP with good results the last few years. I had a wicked bad centipede infestation a few years ago during a long hot, humid spell and they got rid of them and anything else that got in the way. My basement concrete wall outside was literally covered in hundreds of centipedes every night, some would sneak into the house but the dry air from the AC would shrivel them up, still they kind of freaked me out with the number of them on the foundation.

1 hour ago, DavisStraight said:

I've been using the Demon WP with good results the last few years. I had a wicked bad centipede infestation a few years ago during a long hot, humid spell and they got rid of them and anything else that got in the way. My basement concrete wall outside was literally covered in hundreds of centipedes every night, some would sneak into the house but the dry air from the AC would shrivel them up, still they kind of freaked me out with the number of them on the foundation.

Ew, that would skeeve me out