Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2021 Mid-Atlantic Severe Weather - General Discussion

Kmlwx

4 minutes ago, H2O said:

Radar looking like doo doo rn. What might come later this afternoon will be the show

It might just be me, but was everyone expecting a super active day? I know some of the models had discrete cells rotating through, but I don't think it was ever going to be a widespread severe day. 

Just now, mappy said:

It might just be me, but was everyone expecting a super active day? I know some of the models had discrete cells rotating through, but I don't think it was ever going to be a widespread severe day. 

And...cells won't look particularly beefy in a setup like this. Even the stuff in PW and Loudoun right now could produce even if reflectivity doesn't look like textbook severe. 

14 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

TDCA has a nice tiny cell just south of Alexandria. 

I know models yesterday were focusing any 2nd line on the northern parts of the area. 

Breezy downpour.  Nothing else. 

(All I've gotten today so far are breezy downpours here and there.)

8 minutes ago, mappy said:

On the southern end I guess I'm just looking for more signs that the watch here will pan out.  Clearly better chances north of the MD/VA line

3 minutes ago, H2O said:

On the southern end I guess I'm just looking for more signs that the watch here will pan out.  Clearly better chances north of the MD/VA line

Got it. There is stuff south of you still to come north. 

3 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

16z HRRR buys into the 2nd line later being the dominant one. But it's mainly for I-70 and north. 

I am consistently amazed at how we struggle to get anything interesting in these parts anymore. We just succeed at failure. Remnants come through and it just fizzles out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I am consistently amazed at how we struggle to get anything interesting in these parts anymore. We just succeed at failure. Remnants come through and it just fizzles out.

We are paying back for the flooding rains in parts of the area the past week or so - and all the pulse severe. 

In all seriousness - maybe we just bought too heavily into this stuff. Big time pocket of clearing behind this stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I mean, I guess? With the low tracking so far west, our chances of a good severe day were limited anyways. So... is it really that surprising? 

• Like 2

Just now, Kmlwx said:

Watching it on TBWI. It looks like it could be the real thing if it keeps improving. 

ETA: ARea near Woodstock, MD also now looking interesting on TBWI.

That Woodstock cell looked like it was just starting to try to get going as it went past me but seems to be developing even more now.

Looking like some rotation on top of

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

That rotating cell went right past me, but alas, my house is still standing.

Edit…just had one thunder clap

That bolt was of course the one behind my house that as soon as I opened up my deck door to see the deluge  — boom! Almost instantaneous. 

• Haha 2