Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021 Part 2

MAG5035

4 minutes ago, basehore said:

You are not joking... I’ve been in winter storm warning since 7 am and have a whopping half inch of snow with brightening skies.  

This is what I'm getting at w/ all of the chattin up Thursday, when merely 24 hours ago you looked like 6-9 up there, and now I'd wager 1-3 or 2-4 at best.  Upper air pattern for Thursday has similarities to todays event, so I'd be cautious at "throwing this one away in search of the next" kind of mentality.  Yes, next one does appear like a single system that doesnt cut or transfer, so it should be a "cleaner" event to follow....but it too will not be without further adjustments to what we see today vs where it ends up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

This is what I'm getting at w/ all of the chattin up Thursday, when merely 24 hours ago you looked like 6-9 up there, and now I'd wager 1-3 or 2-4 at best.  Upper air pattern for Thursday has similarities to todays event, so I'd be cautious at "throwing this one away in search of the next" kind of mentality.  Yes, next one does appear like a single system that doesnt cut or transfer, so it should be a "cleaner" event to follow....but it too will not be without further adjustments to what we see today vs where it ends up.

I was going to say and glad you did there is no transfer happening on Thursday and a pretty big H positioned right to our north. I think there are some major differences the best one is, it is not cutting west right now. It really seems like a Miller A that screams to the coast where is important for us. If it is VA Beach or Delmarva for the heavier precip to get up in the state of PA. 

Agree that this is the last storm in the current train, not sure we don't have at least the Amtrak Keystone train in March. Enough long range tellies to suggest that we might have an active month - and of course we can score big time then. 

Regardless, this might be the curtain closer for February. I'm about .8" below my annual average for snowfall. I'll take the over on that. 

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Agree that this is the last storm in the current train, not sure we don't have at least the Amtrak Keystone train in March. Enough long range tellies to suggest that we might have an active month - and of course we can score big time then. 

Regardless, this might be the curtain closer for February. I'm about .8" below my annual average for snowfall. I'll take the over on that. 

Ha. Take the over. I agree on March lots could happen when the pattern reloads. Just depends on how it reloads. 

The positives I see for Thursday are a better positioned high pressure to the north and the fact that this is coming pretty quickly on the heels of tonight's system...which about the only thing that's gonna be good for other than ice tonight is finally moving the gradient some as we do have some half decent cold that will come in behind. That aforementioned high actually builds overhead before shifting north of us as this next system approached. So I think we can at least get widespread front end snow if this stronger high holds in. That's part of what sunk us with the current one, which I've mentioned a couple times.

Problems I see are that the overall mean trough axis is still going to be similarly positioned to where it is now (a bit too far west for my liking) and that's going to present the opportunity for this to track like the current system, potentially sending the surface low up the west side of the apps to an eventual transfer to the coast. Southern tier is pretty vulnerable to mixing in this setup IMO. Looking at mid-level features, even the Euro is a bit left of my liking with the 850mb low (roughly taking that overhead). The GFS and || GFS had a more focused 850mb low that went west and drew a stronger southerly flow and more mix. The stronger surface high to the north is extremely important for front end snow and maybe getting this low pressure under us, although I"m somewhat pessimistic of that happening without at least some surface low reflection carrying up west of the Apps up to at least the Ohio River. Probably don't want this to slow down at all either. The faster on the heels of the current system, the better chance it has at staying under us. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

The positives I see for Thursday are a better positioned high pressure to the north and the fact that this is coming pretty quickly on the heels of tonight's system...which about the only thing that's gonna be good for other than ice tonight is finally moving the gradient some as we do have some half decent cold that will come in behind. That aforementioned high actually builds overhead before shifting north of us as this next system approached. So I think we can at least get widespread front end snow if this stronger high holds in. That's part of what sunk us with the current one, which I've mentioned a couple times.

Problems I see are that the overall mean trough axis is still going to be similarly positioned to where it is now (a bit too far west for my liking) and that's going to present the opportunity for this to track like the current system, potentially sending the surface low up the west side of the apps to an eventual transfer to the coast. Southern tier is pretty vulnerable to mixing in this setup IMO. Looking at mid-level features, even the Euro is a bit left of my liking with the 850mb low (roughly taking that overhead). The GFS and || GFS had a more focused 850mb low that went west and drew a stronger southerly flow and more mix. The stronger surface high to the north is extremely important for front end snow and maybe getting this low pressure under us, although I"m somewhat pessimistic of that happening without at least some surface low reflection carrying up west of the Apps up to at least the Ohio River. Probably don't want this to slow down at all either. The faster on the heels of the current system, the better chance it has at staying under us. 

Let's hope Mag we can keep this under. I didn't think there would be a transfer but It sounds like it is still on the table.