• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2021

IrishRob17

Any other day I'd offer to haul my blower down there, but alas, my truck is in the shop with a dead power steering pump. Hopefully you can find someone nearby to help out.

Up to 31F here now. While low-level flow is still out of the north, the temp should climb above freezing in short order when heavier precip moves in and starts releasing latent heat.

• Like 1

The temp is going up quickly now, if you watch the thermo you can see it jump a tenth or two every minute. I sure hope all of this water goes somewhere today, the puddles are impressively deep right now in their little ice dammed holes. If this just sits and freezes tonight it's going to be a disaster. Hopefully my driveway is melted off because I have to get my wife out today to go to the orthopedist to deal with the broken ankle and a few other things that must get done and I don't have the patience for the ice again today. I'm realizing that the next few weeks while she can't do shit are going to be stressful... 

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

The temp is going up quickly now, if you watch the thermo you can see it jump a tenth or two every minute. I sure hope all of this water goes somewhere today, the puddles are impressively deep right now in their little ice dammed holes. If this just sits and freezes tonight it's going to be a disaster. Hopefully my driveway is melted off because I have to get my wife out today to go to the orthopedist to deal with the broken ankle and a few other things that must get done and I don't have the patience for the ice again today. I'm realizing that the next few weeks while she can't do shit are going to be stressful... 

Take it one day at a time bro.  Wishing you both as minimal stress as possible. 

• Like 2

Thanx WG. 

39/39/RN-/Fog-Mist 

This rain and mist could stop now. The snowpack is thoroughly waterlogged, at the bottom of shovel cuts the lower 2-3" is dark grey and soggy. It looks like I lost 4-5" in most spots and there are some areas that were thin from the wind that are starting to show grass through the snow. This is gonna be a whole bunch of no fun shoveling that path out to the street :(

• Like 1

I saw 48 on the dashboard on the way home from taking my wife to the doc. Got some really great melting around the area today and the blocked storm drains across the street I was worried about melted out. I got the driveway and around the house done so it shouldn't flood and the roof is completely dry and ready for the next round.If you haven't done the same think about it NOW. I don't think I'm getting the path dug out up the front yard before the lockup tonight which kinda sux. Gonna run to HD or Lowes now and get a few more bags of sand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

I saw 48 on the dashboard on the way home from taking my wife to the doc. Got some really great melting around the area today and the blocked storm drains across the street I was worried about melted out. I got the driveway and around the house done so it shouldn't flood and the roof is completely dry and ready for the next round.If you haven't done the same think about it NOW. I don't think I'm getting the path dug out up the front yard before the lockup tonight which kinda sux. Gonna run to HD or Lowes now and get a few more bags of sand.

Hopefully the wife is ok.  I also worked on pushing some snow back  in spots and worked on  the gutters with the warm weather today.

24 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Hopefully the wife is ok.  I also worked on pushing some snow back  in spots and worked on  the gutters with the warm weather today.

Ankle is broken with possible ligament damage. We'll find out more tomorrow. Everyone including whatever local media she checked downplayed the ice so she thought it was just wet when she went out and BOOM down she went.  

Looks like I'm down to a 6-9" pack with spots of 15 and bare spots. It should be locking up now, hopefully we top it with the next two storms to insulate it and it ought to be on the ground into next month. For the winter that wasn't supposed to be it might end up hitting my top criteria, long duration snowpack. I'm good with that, it can be warm all it wants as long as I get a month or more with solid snowcover.

• Sad 4

22 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Ankle is broken with possible ligament damage. We'll find out more tomorrow. Everyone including whatever local media she checked downplayed the ice so she thought it was just wet when she went out and BOOM down she went.  

Looks like I'm down to a 6-9" pack with spots of 15 and bare spots. It should be locking up now, hopefully we top it with the next two storms to insulate it and it ought to be on the ground into next month. For the winter that wasn't supposed to be it might end up hitting my top criteria, long duration snowpack. I'm good with that, it can be warm all it wants as long as I get a month or more with solid snowcover.

Hope she heals fast.  Ice is so damn dangerous.  Give me a rainstorm any day over a ZR storm. 

Two storms?  Another one next week? 

• Like 1

Just now, White Gorilla said:

Hope she heals fast.  Ice is so damn dangerous.  Give me a rainstorm any day over a ZR storm. 

Two storms?  Another one next week? 

Does no one make rubber shoes with some sort of spiked sole?

They don't need to be huge spikes, just enough to give some grip on slick surfaces.

• Like 1

First they need to make people just a little more intuitive. "The whole place is covered in snow it's been cold, the ground might be frozen and it's misting so that might actually be ice not water so maybe I should move cautiously and find out..." But no.       Yeah it's like that.

@WG yup. Early next week, maybe Monday or Tuesday. 

• Like 2

Snowpack was 16 inches at the end of day yesterday, down to an even 12 inches at the end of the day today. I could only guess but I assume the LE is 3-4 inches in that pack, which once it freezes up again the next couple of days should make it very sun resistant.

Hoping to add 6-12 Thursday & Friday and have a snowpack through at least mid March or hopefully longer.

We shall see.

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

The models still have multiple opportunities over the next ten days. 

That is the read... 26-27 and the first week of March.  No topics yet, since it's mostly I84  but monitoring via the NAEFS. While the cold softens, and maybe we'll average a bit above normal, models are trending a bit colder the last week of Feb and first week of March, as far as i can tell. Snow pack lingers I84 corridor through at least the 24th from what I can tell. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, wdrag said:

That is the read... 26-27 and the first week of March.  No topics yet, since it's mostly I84  but monitoring via the NAEFS. While the cold softens, and maybe we'll average a bit above normal, models are trending a bit colder the last week of Feb and first week of March, as far as i can tell. Snow pack lingers I84 corridor through at least the 24th from what I can tell. 

Thanks Walt.  A low of 18 here this morning with a very solid 9” at the stake. 

• Thanks 1

Nah at this point we need it to hold through the end of the month. The sun is starting to put a hurt on the snow but we can push it a few more weeks before it's futile so lets see it happen. Things have that stale winter look now and need a refresh. I went out to move the snowbanks back or at least shelf them to make some room for tomorrow's snow but everything is frozen solid and I don't feel like working that hard to break them up. Maybe the sun will soften them somewhat. Yeah I was thinking it's time to plant inside, gotta get that up and running ASAP, headed off to Amazonia now to go get some grow lights. 

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Nah at this point we need it to hold through the end of the month. The sun is starting to put a hurt on the snow but we can push it a few more weeks before it's futile so lets see it happen. Things have that stale winter look now and need a refresh. I went out to move the snowbanks back or at least shelf them to make some room for tomorrow's snow but everything is frozen solid and I don't feel like working that hard to break them up. Maybe the sun will soften them somewhat. Yeah I was thinking it's time to plant inside, gotta get that up and running ASAP, headed off to Amazonia now to go get some grow lights. 

I have patches of bare ground just starting to open up, though shaded areas still have a good 6-8"... but after the wind last night, it's covered with pine needles and marcescent leaves and not very attractive anymore, like you said. Hopefully tomorrow into Friday doesn't turn into one of your nothingburgers as this afternoon's trends suggest.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I have patches of bare ground just starting to open up, though shaded areas still have a good 6-8"... but after the wind last night, it's covered with pine needles and marcescent leaves and not very attractive anymore, like you said. Hopefully tomorrow into Friday doesn't turn into one of your nothingburgers as this afternoon's trends suggest.

:weenie:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I guess you dont like early April snow to hold back the allergy season

Allergy season is any time a plant somewhere is reproducing, so March to November, inclusive. I've had measurable snow in April 5 out of the last 7 years and my allergies are still brutal all season. I think you'd need an extended deep freeze to really dampen pollen counts, but who wants to see everyone lose their fruit crops for the year?

Just now, Juliancolton said:

Allergy season is any time a plant somewhere is reproducing, so March to November, inclusive. I've had measurable snow in April 5 out of the last 7 years and my allergies are still brutal all season. I think you'd need an extended deep freeze to really dampen pollen counts, but who wants to see everyone lose their fruit crops for the year?

Yes it's gotten a lot worse from when I was little, maybe because of the higher precip averages we now have?

what is it that causes the majority of allergies- weeds, deciduous trees, or mold/fungus?