Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2021

IrishRob17

14 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

4° and 18 inches of snow otg, paradise.

I can't visit the other NYC forums anymore. I believe Julian alluded to something similar in the last few days. The things I read there it's like being on another planet. They've never seen snow like this, they've never seen snow otg this long before, they've never seen an ice storm, they've never experienced sub zero cold. Where do some of these people live, has the NYC forum extended down to the Carolinas? I know the NJ Coastal plain and NYC is a different climate than the HV,  NWNJ and interior CT but it seems over the top to me. Just one mans opinion.

And not only that, but the storm threads go way off topic as of late.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

And not only that, but the storm threads go way off topic as of late.  

The mods are doing the best that they can but when you have posters that should know better just babbling about whatever on a regular basis in storm threads it gets tough to keep up. All they need to do is hit the + quote and then quote the person in the banter or monthly thread and continue to convo. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

The mods are doing the best that they can but when you have posters that should know better just babbling about whatever on a regular basis in storm threads it gets tough to keep up. All they need to do is hit the + quote and then quote the person in the banter or monthly thread and continue to convo. 

Yeah agreed, they can't keep up with everything. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Not exactly related to what you're saying, but people who will quote a post the size of a novel with 15 images just to say "Hope it snows" should be drawn and quartered.

• Haha 6

49 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Nothing burgers for the win.

So you’re Snowman... he’s the only one who uses that lame term LOL

On another note, enjoy reading your accounts from around Tahoe back in the day. I have a number of documentaries and books on keeping the railroad open over Donner Pass, incredible stuff. 

• Haha 2

Haha. Someone in here used it recently and it fit so I ran with it.

That was "one of those winters" that the Sierra gets occasionally. There have been a few since and they just keep getting worse at dealing with it. That winter the roads didn't shut down often at all but now they bail out when there's a foot or two. It's pretty cool driving down a road with 15-20 foot banks along both sides shaved clean, even more fun when it's snowing and they're melting at the same time and the slush is hub deep. There were so many incredible periods in the western mountains when I lived out there, so many... 

• Like 1

National Weather Service New York NY
332 PM EST Sun Feb 14 2021

NJZ002-NYZ067-150445-
/O.NEW.KOKX.IS.W.0001.210215T2300Z-210216T1500Z/
/O.NEW.KOKX.WW.Y.0007.210215T1200Z-210215T2300Z/
Western Passaic-Orange-
332 PM EST Sun Feb 14 2021

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM TO 6 PM EST
MONDAY...
...ICE STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM MONDAY TO 10 AM EST
TUESDAY...

* WHAT...For the Ice Storm Warning, significant icing expected.
  Total ice accumulations of up to a half an inch. For the Winter
  Weather Advisory, mixed precipitation expected. Total snow
  accumulations of up to one inch and ice accumulations of a light
  glaze.

* WHERE...In New Jersey, Western Passaic County. In New York,
  Orange County.

* WHEN...For the Ice Storm Warning, from 6 PM Monday to 10 AM
  EST Tuesday. For the Winter Weather Advisory, from 7 AM to 6
  PM EST Monday.

* IMPACTS...Power outages and tree damage are likely due to the
  ice. Travel could be nearly impossible. The hazardous conditions
  could impact the morning and evening commutes.

F1B31041-E664-4373-BE36-059F7CD1C14B.png

2 hours ago, EpicHECS said:

See: They are backing off. These .5"+ icing events just absolutely never come to fruition in this forecast zone. 

I’ve had .50 of ice before so to say never is wrong but they are thankfully hard to come by. What part of Orange County are from that it never happens there?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I’ve had .50 of ice before so to say never is wrong but they are thankfully hard to come by. What part of Orange County are from that it never happens there?

Not never, but in my mind it’s seems like 9 out of 10 times the forecast calls for significant icing, it doesn’t verify.

Iirc we had one about 10 years ago.  I drove up to vt on the taconic through and then back home. The devastation was incredible.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Yeah, Dec 2008 was pretty epic. I did that same drive up the Taconic. That was the last time I saw more than a couple tenths of an inch of glaze. Big ice can happen but as alluded to, it requires a near-perfect setup that doesn't come along very often. 

What is your take on the projected soundings tonight for ice greater than, .20 for our area? I am not rooting for it.  I like having power and heat

33 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Yeah, Dec 2008 was pretty epic. I did that same drive up the Taconic. That was the last time I saw more than a couple tenths of an inch of glaze. Big ice can happen but as alluded to, it requires a near-perfect setup that doesn't come along very often. 

I was living in Rochester, NY with that storm and we got a foot of snow for it up there.  I remember it very well.  My car got stuck in a snow bank. 

1 hour ago, White Gorilla said:

What is your take on the projected soundings tonight for ice greater than, .20 for our area? I am not rooting for it.  I like having power and heat

I feel very confident that ice isn't going to be a huge issue tonight. Even if there's a wafer-thin freezing layer at the surface, the melting layer aloft is warm and deep.

While not discussed as much as with snow, ratios are an important consideration for ice accretion as well. Torched mid-levels like this mean raindrops are hitting the ground relatively warm, and mostly running off surfaces straddling the freezing mark. So this might be 0.1" or less of radial accretion for every inch of water. It'll be slick of course, care and reasonable precautions should be taken, but we're not waking up to a thick glaze.

qbEZmlR.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I feel very confident that ice isn't going to be a huge issue tonight. Even if there's a wafer-thin freezing layer at the surface, the melting layer aloft is warm and deep.

While not discussed as much as with snow, ratios are an important consideration for ice accretion as well. Torched mid-levels like this mean raindrops are hitting the ground relatively warm, and mostly running off surfaces straddling the freezing mark. So this might be 0.1" or less of radial accretion for every inch of water. It'll be slick of course, care and reasonable precautions should be taken, but we're not waking up to a thick glaze.

qbEZmlR.png

Exactly what I want to hear. As much as I enjoy the beauty of a thick glaze, I hate even more the dangers of it. Dude, I learn a lot from you, thank you! 

• Thanks 1

The ice is a problem! It's terrible here. Easily over .1" thick on everything but thats what you'd expect after 6 hours straight freezing mist/drizzle. My wife went down outside the back door and we're at urgent care now. The roads pretty much suck everywhere other than Rt 6 and it's 10mph slippy slidey sketchy shit.

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

The ice is a problem! It's terrible here. Easily over .1" thick on everything but thats what you'd expect after 6 hours straight freezing mist/drizzle. My wife went down outside the back door and we're at urgent care now. The roads pretty much suck everywhere other than Rt 6 and it's 10mph slippy slidey sketchy shit.

Hope she feels better and not too injured.  Stay safe. 

Thanks. It's broken :( Now I desperately need a snowblower first thing in the morning. I can't get her down the 14 steps to downstairs and then down the ice sheet driveway so I need to dig a line 100 feet up the front lawn so I can get the truck up to the house. @SNOW or @DRVTS do you have a blower I can borrow for an hour?

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Thanks. It's broken :( Now I desperately need a snowblower first thing in the morning. I can't get her down the 14 steps to downstairs and then down the ice sheet driveway so I need to dig a line 100 feet up the front lawn so I can get the truck up to the house. @SNOW or @DRVTS do you have a blower I can borrow for an hour?

Sorry.  Wish I had a snowblower but u might able to get one at an equipment rental place.