Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2021

jburns

Just now, Lookout said:

Yep. If this comes to pass, this high and cold is a different beast than the endless parade of marginal cad events we have had recently. The 12z gfs and Canadian are showing minimal temps of the wedge in the mid teens around 950 to 925mb all the way into ne ga. Been a long time since we have seen a cad event that cold.

I figured this one would pull you out of the woodwork!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Lookout said:

Yep. If this comes to pass, this high and cold is a different beast than the endless parade of marginal cad events we have had recently. The 12z gfs and Canadian are showing minimal temps of the wedge in the mid teens around 950 to 925mb all the way into ne ga. Been a long time since we have seen a cad event that cold.

Who's this newbie?  

:axe:

• Haha 3

Okay, lets think about this. If the evolution of all of this happens like it might, there's going to be snow cover to just 50 miles N of the NC/VA border. How is that cold air going to moderate? If the evolution goes like we've seen and we get the damming high over NYS, it's a matter of ptype. Someone is going to get clocked with freezing rain and I still think the snow cover already here is going to push the thermal boundaries south. I could see this being a damming event that reaches Birmingham. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BullCityWx said:

Okay, lets think about this. If the evolution of all of this happens like it might, there's going to be snow cover to just 50 miles N of the NC/VA border. How is that cold air going to moderate? If the evolution goes like we've seen and we get the damming high over NYS, it's a matter of ptype. Someone is going to get clocked with freezing rain and I still think the snow cover already here is going to push the thermal boundaries south. I could see this being a damming event that reaches Birmingham. 

The fail scenario though is the high getting hung up too far west like the UKMet with the TPV not progressing east / ESE fast enough...or that would postpone things anyway 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, griteater said:

The fail scenario though is the high getting hung up too far west like the UKMet with the TPV not progressing east / ESE fast enough...or that would postpone things anyway 

I think the ukmet would still deliver an ice storm Tuesday. I’m more worried about the cmc and gfs being so suppressive that they don’t develop any gulf involvement and show precip blossoming slightly to my East from the coastal low on Tuesday 

1 minute ago, BullCityWx said:

I think it looks just fine. There's a "cold rain" warning criteria ice storm this run for the triad and northern triangle. It's slightly less impressive than the GFS and ICON but it's still there. 

The euro has burned me a few times this year, hard to take its solutions as serious as years past. Next week is our real chance, I don't think the Thursday or Friday systems will be cold enough except for the NC/VA border areas. Who wants multiple days of 35 and rain?

• Like 1

Just now, wncsnow said:

The euro has burned me a few times this year, hard to take its solutions as serious as years past. Next week is our real chance, I don't think the Thursday or Friday systems will be cold enough except for the NC/VA border areas. Who wants multiple days of 35 and rain?

I mean I sure dont but I have half an inch of ice accretion about 12 miles from my front door. 

1 minute ago, griteater said:

Euro has frz rain roughly NW of a line from Raleigh to Gainesville, GA at 168, then it blasts the freezing line north at 171

EPS Mean has been trending this way the last few runs...quicker with the shortwave in the SW states and slower with moving the TPV ESE.

Kinda been a theme all winter in a way