• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 29-Jan 2 potential storm event

Brian D

Welp, something to look forward to is 6 hours of ZR with gusty winds on Friday.  Definitely going to cause power troubles but hopefully not as bad as the derecho.  Operational GFS has 6 hours of ZR with temps at 30-31F with wind gusts up to 45 mph.  Could definitely get about a quarter inch of ice from wave 2.

1 minute ago, Natester said:

Welp, something to look forward to is 6 hours of ZR with gusty winds on Friday.  Definitely going to cause power troubles but hopefully not as bad as the derecho.  Operational GFS has 6 hours of ZR with temps at 30-31F with wind gusts up to 45 mph.

If the bar is set as the 8/10 derecho, I'm pretty sure the power problems won't be as bad in Iowa.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Hoosier said:

If the bar is set as the 8/10 derecho, I'm pretty sure the power problems won't be as bad in Iowa.

True although it's not fun sleeping in a cold house with room temps in the 50s.  But I'm sure that beats sleeping with room temps in the 80s as happened during the 9 day power outage caused by the derecho.

I'm grateful for living downwind of Lake Michigan but even my Christmas Day lake effect snow pack is gone already. All 8+ inches of it save some of the big piles of snow. I guess I'll take a tenth of an inch of ice on each wave this week before changing to plain rain. Maybe an inch of front end snow on wave 1 Tuesday night.

Interesting trend on the last several Euro runs.  There has been a slower system and more of an erosion of the low level cold, as depicted on the 925 mb temps valid 12z Friday.  This makes the overall magnitude/areal severity of the icing setup a bit more questionable as you'd really like to see 925 mb safely below 0C (even a few degrees below 0C).

Will be curious to see if the NAM erodes the cold layer as quickly as it gets in range.

trend-ecmwf_full-2020122812-f096.925th.us_mw.gif.128e95f66eeefae12ee3abc8c67fa5c5.gif

37 minutes ago, sbnwx85 said:

I'm grateful for living downwind of Lake Michigan but even my Christmas Day lake effect snow pack is gone already. All 8+ inches of it save some of the big piles of snow. I guess I'll take a tenth of an inch of ice on each wave this week before changing to plain rain. Maybe an inch of front end snow on wave 1 Tuesday night.

LES is fun, buts melts SO fast. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, NEILwxbo said:

18z hrrr continues the trend. Wouldn’t take much of a bump to get northern LOT in some bigger totals 

Ultimately I think most of the LOT cwa will be under a winter storm warning or winter wx advisory.  The southern part of an advisory mainly accounting for some icing.