• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Christmas Eve/Christmas 2020 Arctic Express Snow Obs.

John1122

1 minute ago, Cotton7204 said:

Got right at 3 inches in Clintwood, Va, Sort of hit and miss in around here, Ive heard someone in big stone gap have 6 inches, and 5 inches in southern Dickenson county.

133241691_3771084292936889_3947811902194283861_o.jpg

4.2 in Jonesville.  Some places had  periods of larger flake Snow than others of which mounted up a good bit more.

1 minute ago, PowellVolz said:

Ok. I didn’t know the DGZ would fluctuate in elevation. Interesting, looks like I found something to read tonight.

The DGZ is where the atmosphere reaches -10 to -20c. If there's high RH in that sector snow flakes will form. That's why snow can fall from below radar beams with the upper levels are really cold. You can even go out when it's below 0 at the surface at times and flakes will seem to form out of a clear blue sky. That's because the DGZ is very low at that point and any moisture in the air turns to snow flakes. 

• Like 3

Accuweather minute cast pretty much nailed the end time of the synoptic snow here earlier this evening. Gonna monitor the next hour and see if it changes or if this band overhead moves on before the 69 minutes are up. Lafollette is a bit SE of me, so I'll shave 10 minutes off the time and see where that gets me.  

KVzOkg.md.jpg

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic