• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Nor'easter snow storm (possible top 20) Noon Wednesday-Noon Thursday Dec 16-17, 2020

wdrag

21 hours ago, HVSnowLover said:

Hard I would think because we don’t get same ratios. Would need like 3 to 4 inches of qpf to get those amounts. 

I saw the ratios at Binghamton were 14:1 and they had about 3" of qpf, I think we could do 30" but not 40"+....  and we've done 30" before so we know thats possible, but not 40"

15 hours ago, bluewave said:

The previous record wasn’t  even 4 years old yet. The warming background state, increased moisture, and strong blocking pattern seem to be the underlying causes. Notice how warm the months before these two record storms were.

Local warmth

Time Series Summary for Binghamton Area, NY (ThreadEx) - Month of Nov
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Year
Mean Avg Temperature 
Missing Count
1 1975 44.6 0
2 2011 44.4 0
3 2001 44.3 0
4 2015 44.1 0
5 2006 43.0 0
6 1964 42.9 0
7 2020 42.8 0
- 2009 42.8 0

Time Series Summary for Binghamton Area, NY (ThreadEx) - Month of Feb
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Year
Mean Avg Temperature 
Missing Count
1 1984 33.1 0
2 2017 31.5 0

CONUS warmth

November 2020

The average November temperature across the contiguous U.S. was 46.4 degrees F (4.7 degrees above average), which placed the month at the fourth-hottest Novemberin the 126-year record.

The February 2017 temperature was 41.2°F, 7.3°F above the 20th century average. This ranked as the second warmest February in the 123-year period of record. Only February 1954 was warmer for the nation at 41.4°F. Most locations across the contiguous U.S.were warmer than average during February.Feb 28, 2017

RECORD EVENT REPORT...UPDATED 
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON, NY 
1215 PM EST THU DEC 17 2020

...SNOWFALL RECORDS SET AT BINGHAMTON NY...

THE 2 DAY SNOWFALL AS OF 1015 AM IS 39.9" AT THE GREATER BINGHAMTON 
AIRPORT IN THE TOWN OF MAINE, NY. THIS BREAKS THE ALL TIME RECORD 
FOR 2 DAY SNOWFALL. THE OLD RECORD WAS 35.3" SET MARCH 14 TO 15, 

THE ONE DAY SNOWFALL FROM TODAY IS 26.3" AS OF 1015 AM. THIS IS THE 
SECOND GREATEST SNOWFALL FOR ANY CALENDAR DAY. THE GREATEST ONE DAY 
SNOWFALL IS 31.2" ON MARCH 14TH, 2017.  

...SNOW DEPTH RECORD SET AT BINGHAMTON NY...

THE SNOW DEPTH THIS MORNING AT 7 AM WAS 39 INCHES. THE OLD RECORD 
WAS 35 INCHES ON MARCH 15 1993 AFTER A BLIZZARD. 

RECORDS HERE AT THE GREATER BINGHAMTON AIRPORT GO BACK TO 1951.

not to mention the LIE shutdown blizzard of Feb 2013

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

nope not that one

31 inches at JFK and 34 inches in Jackson Heights from J01232016 (according to my new naming system for these storms, J signifies the 10th winter storm warning event of the season nationwide, and the numbers signify the date of course), that storm was characterized by a large swath of 30+ totals west to east, including Allentown, PA and Morristown, NY all the way to JFK and Oceanside west to east.

The other storm you are thinking of is N02082013 (N signifies it was the 14th winter storm warning storm of that season nationwide and I just looked up the date since I didn't remember it lol), this was the storm that dropped 40" across parts of coastal CT and 38" on eastern LI.  There have been other 30"+ storms in that region but this was the biggest for them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_February_2013_North_American_blizzard

The Early February 2013 North American blizzard was a powerful blizzard that developed from the combination of two areas of low pressure,[5] primarily affecting the Northeastern United States and parts of Canada, causing heavy snowfall and hurricane-force winds. The storm crossed the Atlantic Ocean, affecting Ireland and the United Kingdom.[6] The nor'easter's effects in the United States received a Category 3 rank on the Northeast Snowfall Impact Scale, classifying it as a "Major" Winter Storm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_2016_United_States_blizzard

The January 2016 United States blizzard was a crippling and historic blizzard that produced up to 3 ft (91 cm) of snow in parts of the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast United States from January 22–24, 2016. Evolving from a shortwave trough that formed in the Pacific Northwest on January 19, the system consolidated into a defined low-pressure area on January 21 over Texas. Regarding it as a "potentially historic blizzard", meteorologists indicated the storm could produce more than 2 ft (61 cm) of snow across a wide swath of the Mid-Atlantic region and could "paralyze the eastern third of the nation"

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jm1220 said:

Verification: North Shore was pretty good. NYC was higher than I had with a lot of 10-12" amounts for the northern half of the city and over half a foot elsewhere. I-78 corridor in NJ seems like it came in with the 6-9" range. 

NJ coast I'm not seeing much if any reports of snow, if any they were less than 1" that was washed away fast.

South Shore also looked pretty good. From what I could tell it was about 3" on the south fork and maybe 6-7" in the Rockaways. I was underdone on I-95 south toward Trenton, a lot of 6-7" amounts there. 

Westchester was good. Rockland may have gotten into the dryslot and/or had sleet since they on the low end of my thoughts. Same for coastal CT since there were a lot of amounts on the low end of what I had. Morris/Warren County NJ along I-80  also on the low end.

Orange/Putmam/Sussex County/away from coastal CT I was too high. Maybe subsidence area from the deformation snow further north. Same with the Poconos/Catskills as the deformation snow band was further north along I-88. 

End result: Underdone in NYC and I-95 SW of the city, overdone in northern/western areas. LI/Westchester better. Overall grade: C+

close to 8" in the Rockaways as thats what the total from Howard Beach was, cant find the PNS to see what the JFK or LGA totals were, but we had close to 8 here about 2 miles north of your former residence in Long Beach.  Did you hit 10" in Huntington?  I see you had a last late burst of snow that ended around 1 PM or 2?

59 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

close to 8" in the Rockaways as thats what the total from Howard Beach was, cant find the PNS to see what the JFK or LGA totals were, but we had close to 8 here about 2 miles north of your former residence in Long Beach.  Did you hit 10" in Huntington?  I see you had a last late burst of snow that ended around 1 PM or 2?

We may have gotten over 8” with the afternoon snow showers we had but I’ll just say we ended with 8” here since I didn’t bother measuring 

• Like 1

Overall impact maximized nw of our forum where you're seeing top 20 event historically. 

Thanks for all the insight on NYC records. We will do better along the coast, maybe this winter??? I dunno.  Might depend if the Nina continues weakening. That I don't know either. I just hope that everyone appreciates how locked in some of these events in Nov - Dec have been 7-11 days in advance. That is all the worlds modelers improving physics via research-more observation platforms contributing (satellite, radar, aircraft etc) and computers. The oldsters among us  know. 

This graphic from the WPC web site. 

Screen_Shot_2020-12-18_at_12_15.39_PM.png

• Like 1