• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2020/2021 OBS Thread

Rtd208

South central pa here! Our forecast for this wed-fri thing went from 10-15  36 hrs ago to 4-8, then 1-3, then dusting of full out nothingburger. Now back up to 3-6 in last few hrs. Snow started steady at 7:45 with no mixing & holding steady. Looks like a coastal low has exploded off the southern Carolina coast since 9pm & is on the move from what im seeing on the latest satellite imagery? What the cheese is going on? I recall seeing one model back on Monday runs showing this outcome but it was swiftly tossed in the trash bin... bernie rayno said storm likely wouldn’t make it much further north than the mason Dixon line, but clearly that scenario proved bust bc its pounding here in cumberland county. I don’t see a southern shift on radar. Thoughts??

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Obd2011 said:

South central pa here! Our forecast for this wed-fri thing went from 10-15  36 hrs ago to 4-8, then 1-3, then dusting of full out nothingburger. Now back up to 3-6 in last few hrs. Snow started steady at 7:45 with no mixing & holding steady. Looks like a coastal low has exploded off the southern Carolina coast since 9pm & is on the move from what im seeing on the latest satellite imagery? What the cheese is going on? I recall seeing one model back on Monday runs showing this outcome but it was swiftly tossed in the trash bin... bernie rayno said storm likely wouldn’t make it much further north than the mason Dixon line, but clearly that scenario proved bust bc its pounding here in cumberland county. I don’t see a southern shift on radar. Thoughts??

This is WAA - warm air advection snow from a weak wave of low pressure and not associated with a primary off the coast, that will develop out to sea.

7 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

ICON which has been pretty decent lately is certainly threatening for Tuesday. Low 20s and raining. Coastal taking shape earlier with weaker primary. Nice airmass just North to be tapped.  I guess the Euro shot the bed on this threat or people just kicked the old fallen King to the curb?

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_40.png

icon_T2m_neus_41.png

I still think this trends more east.  I doubt many areas will see widespread ice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like after our Heather A event Tuesday the pattern reloads with a cutter late week (that one is probably real with the HL blocking reloading) then the next big longwave threat with the pattern back in place is being signaled Feb 24-28. But let's get thru Sat-Sun then Tues first. Who knows, maybe the reload is faster or even just a mirage/head fake.

7 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Looks like after our Heather A event Tuesday the pattern reloads with a cutter late week (that one is probably real with the HL blocking reloading) then the next big longwave threat with the pattern back in place is being signaled Feb 24-28. But let's get thru Sat-Sun then Tues first. Who knows, maybe the reload is faster or even just a mirage/head fake.

If we get a flush hit by the HA event, we could likely take a full grinch washout and still have snowpack in place for late month... 

• Like 1

Its cool to see the HL pattern that was in place back in late Oct/early Nov popping up again on the ens means as we get later into winter. When I posted my winter thoughts back then I stated a huge key to the success of this winter is how the Scandinavian ridging feeds the NAO ridge or if it remains over in Scandinavia with no effect. It was evident at that time we had a higher chance than normal at getting sustained HL blocking in the AO/NAO regions as Scandinavia is a normalized area that tends to feed the NAO as a retogression. Just cool to see how firm that ridging remained as a background state, how it played out, and how we are seeing it showing up again late season. March could be a roller coaster ride this year with at least one chance for a March winter storm, if not more. What a season.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Where has Heisy been? This was/is his storm. Maybe he knows something we don't? Or maybe he has tracking fatigue?

I’m here haha was up late sticking my head out windows and walking around the block like a nut.

I was pretty down on it after a few of those EPS runs but even the 6z made a nice jog SE. I appreciate the credit it was kind of how I saw the pattern progressing. Sucks the para stopped running again it looked good at the end of its run last nights. Let’s keep working on the spacing and we’re good to go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Don’t have H5 yet but icon is farther SE. 12z NAM also looked like it wanted to do a CMC progression. Would be seasonal trend. Man the euro is hot garbage right now

I'm going to reiterate what I said yesterday. I am more concerned that if we fail Tuesday it will be due to suppression or the system being squashed under the PV than rain and a cutter. Actually wouldn't mind a lightish event while the Mid Atlantic gets hammered. They are running out of time and beyond due.

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I'm going to reiterate what I said yesterday. I am more concerned that if we fail Tuesday it will be due to suppression or the system being squashed under the PV than rain and a cutter. Actually wouldn't mind a lightish event while the Mid Atlantic gets hammered. They are running out of time and beyond due.

Agreed. I bet we get a weenie gfs run at 12z as it ticks SE like rest of guidance. I hope at least. Give me 6 hours of bliss lol

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Looks like the high amplitude phase 7 MJO wave is having more effect than we originally thought. If we didn't have the ao/nao in place, we'd be making a run at the 70s.. the Arctic blast that had been delayed and delayed now looks like barely below normal once it reaches here. Tues threat has devolved overnight to where plain rain is looking like a legit threat for many now because the se ridge pumping. It's a good thing we made out during this 2 week period because it looks like our snow threats are coming to an end. Average snowfall in a moderate nina is pretty good though. 

• Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Looks like the high amplitude phase 7 MJO wave is having more effect than we originally thought. If we didn't have the ao/nao in place, we'd be making a run at the 70s.. the Arctic blast that had been delayed and delayed now looks like barely below normal once it reaches here. Tues threat has devolved overnight to where plain rain is looking like a legit threat for many now because the se ridge pumping. It's a good thing we made out during this 2 week period because it looks like our snow threats are coming to an end. Average snowfall in a moderate nina is pretty good though. 

It’s only Feb 12. I don’t think our snow threats are over. Hopefully the Tuesday threat got as far north as it is getting and goes south now.

• Thanks 1