• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

6 minutes ago, BGM Blizzard said:

9" is the criteria for watch/warning over a 24 hour period in the NY portions of the Buf, Bgm, and Aly cwa. Probably Btv too.

Yeah I know but figured it would lake effect snow watch, not winter storm watch unless those are retired? I thought they brought them back this year.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah I know but figured it would lake effect snow watch, not winter storm watch unless those are retired? I thought they brought them back this year.

Brought back the lake effect snow warning. Not the watch. It now goes from a winter storm watch to a lake effect snow warning if upgraded. Quite silly IMO but better than having now LES products and only WSW ones..

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Just synoptic.. Little different than the European..lol 

sn10_acc.us_ne - 2020-12-21T170124.303.png

Yep and just like that there goes BUFs potential verbatim. Storm further east bringing less synoptic and more Westerly winds than SW. I’m really surprised they issued a Winter Storm Watch so early when this things still 72 hr + till start of the lake effect. Obviously nothing saying it’s gonna be right, just goes to show one of the possibilities still on the table. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Yep and just like that there goes BUFs potential verbatim. Storm further east bringing less synoptic and more Westerly winds than SW. I’m really surprised they issued a Winter Storm Watch so early when this things still 72 hr + till start of the lake effect. Obviously nothing saying it’s gonna be right, just goes to show one of the possibilities still on the table. 

Yeah, it's so hard to get the whole board involved..The system cuts farther west and most of us see no synoptic or LES (obviously Buffalo crowd would be happy)  or it goes to far east and fringes western areas with little lake effect..

I'm hoping we all get into some synoptic action and worry about lake effect when the time comes..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

What are you thinking for totals off Erie and Ontario? 

Synoptically, as stated previously, 2-4/3-5.... I'd like to see tonight swans and tomorrow morning's runs, Before putting out totals,  Once the energy is sampled better. It's gonna make a huge difference is to whether or not these bands move 10 or 15 miles or if they remain quasi-stationary (5-10 miles).

There certainly is potential for both areas off both lakes to get over 2' if the latter occurs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, LakeEffectKing said:

Synoptically, as stated previously, 2-4/3-5.... I'd like to see tonight swans and tomorrow morning's runs, Before putting out totals,  Once the energy is sampled better. It's gonna make a huge difference is to whether or not these bands move 10 or 15 miles or if they remain quasi-stationary (5-10 miles).

There certainly is potential for both areas off both lakes to get over 2' if the latter occurs.

What intrigues me here is the snow could be a complete plaster job given the fast swing from warm and wet to cold and white. 

The scene on Christmas morning could be out of a Hallmark card...

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Far from a lock, this could be an event where Hamburg to South Buffalo get 1-2 feet where Cheektowaga/Amherst sees next to nothing. It could not be but nothing is pointing that this band is definitely making it up here for sure yet. 

You feel the burn. Early season LES always ends up further north than modeled. Every time. Models always struggle with this. This is not to say the heaviest snows will be over northern Erie but I promise you it will not be a shutout either.

14 minutes ago, ayuud11 said:

Anytime BUF issues a watch this far out it usually ends up being a dud lol..:whistle:

I think they were just itching to issue something with how slow this winter has been so far especially with regards to lake effect: It’s the earliest I can ever remember a watch being issued. Not saying it won’t end up verifying but why rush to jump to a watch when you could realistically wait 24 hours and still have plenty of time to warn people? 

I would think they would at least want this thing to get in range of the mesos lol. 

6 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

You’re back!!! I know it’s real when you show up...

I'm always lurking man we just didn't have nothing to get excited about hopefully we get slammed both by that first wave and the LES after like what the 12z GFS showed.

Just now, lakeeffectkid383 said:

I think they were just itching to issue something with how slow this winter has been so far especially with regards to lake effect: It’s the earliest I can ever remember a watch being issued. Not saying it won’t end up verifying but why rush to jump to a watch when you could realistically wait 24 hours and still have plenty of time to earn people? 

I would think they would at least want this thing to get in range of the mesos lol. 

Yea man was actually surprised they had it as well lol..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

You can go about 5-10 miles north of any model with lake snow bands when lake temps are in the lower 40s still due to thermal troughing. I like where I sit.
image.thumb.png.41f1707e1d26ea5a74b304edb90d6007.png

Yes I’d feel great if I were from Hamburg to OP to WS. South Buffalo id feel okay. Here in the Northtowns I’m a little skeptical. No problem chasing a few miles to see some rippage though ;) just give us a band somewhere over Erie County even if it’s not over me directly and I’ll be happy haha. 

• Like 1