• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Upstate/Eastern New York

5 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Has there ever been upslope along the Niagara Escarpment from an easterly LES event? I think it might not be angled correctly?

That looks almost like a due East wind. The only time the escarpment dries out precip, especially east towards the City, is when winds are out of the SW. In this case, it wouldn't have any impact on Lake Effect in the city. 

Edit: How much snow have you recorded so far?

2 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Gfs has trended in icon direction. So has ukie. The issue is the primary low in ohio valley and handling how it degenerates. If you look at icon it clearly shows a elongated area of low pressure from new primary on coast to old low in Ohio that moves ne 

Good point. Odds of that actually happening are very slim. Usually the area between the two lows gets the screw job, not the max amount.

2 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

That looks almost like a due East wind. The only time the escarpment dries out precip, especially east towards the City, is when winds are out of the SW. In this case, it wouldn't have any impact on Lake Effect in the city. 

Edit: How much snow have you recorded so far?

5 or 6 inches. Pathetic.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

5 or 6 inches. Pathetic.

Lysander is literally south of Lake Ontario, I'm surprised. What's your seasonal average? There's been a few lake effect snow outbreaks off Georgian Bay and Lake Huron and of course, the Cleveland storm recently. I'm shocked you haven't gotten anything respectable yet. Terrible winter. We got lucky with that November storm in Toronto but aside from that, it's been extremely frustrating. 

4 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Lysander is literally south of Lake Ontario, I'm surprised. What's your seasonal average? There's been a few lake effect snow outbreaks off Georgian Bay and Lake Huron and of course, the Cleveland storm recently. I'm shocked you haven't gotten anything respectable yet. Terrible winter. We got lucky with that November storm in Toronto but aside from that, it's been extremely frustrating. 

My location (I've only been here a year and a half) supposedly averages 135ish inches a year. Lots of 3 to 6 inch events are common here. Over recent years, there have been many SW wind lake effect events that have given the goods to the Watertown area and the northern Tug Hill. We need some clippers and synoptic events that give us snowfall from the system and then with the lake influence from behind.

This past Thursday was the biggest event so far with 2 inches. (lol) It's been numerous dustings/coatings/and half inchers that have mostly melted by the end of the day they fall on.

20 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

There has been zero cold air anywhere near Erie/Ontario. Cleveland had a good lake enhanced event, but the only LES event was back on Nov 2nd/3rd.

https://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2020-2021&event=A

I believe we finished November at +5.8 (6th warmest of all time) and in December were around +3 for temps.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

What a surprise...Syracuse skyrockets 7 degrees above what the forecasted high was for today. As soon as the southerly wind kicks in, UP the temp goes... Day in and day out, the temp overachieves here. Must be a combination of old climatology factored into the modeling and that Syracuse is a downsloping mecca plus Urban Heat Island.

Yet another day of this place being in the top as the warmest place in New York State.

Edit...the temp just went UP another degree at 11 pm...right after I typed that...just to spite me... lol

I think it's great. Feels nice and mild! And I'm not trolling you...;)

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

The Cuse is down-sloping big time off the bumps in So. Onondaga Cty & Cortland Cty, lol, as it has warmed to the upper 50's:arrowhead:! I'm siting at 46 as the warming comes to a screeching halt somewhere near North Syracuse and cools thereafter, nuts

It's ridiculous. 

We have had so many times recently where our high for the day has been in the middle of the night as well.

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Latest GFS keeps any cold enough air for LES out of the area the entire run, Euro has 1 day or so of it.

The wild swings the models are showing ,especially the GFS is ridiculous. You posted the 18z  yesterday showing at the end of its run the PV is almost upon us, the very next run is so opposite that you’d think the program malfunctioned. Models are really struggling right now with the data

• Like 1