Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MO/KS/AR/OK 2020-2021 "Winter" Discussion

JoMo

10 minutes ago, MUWX said:

SGF is just trolling us at this point. The warnings now extend well north of us to the east and west, but SGF appears to not be willing to give in. 

Just looks like solid advisory criteria snow totals? We got between 1-2" this morning? Plus an additional 3-4" expected later.

5 minutes ago, JoMo said:

Just looks like solid advisory criteria snow totals? We got between 1-2" this morning? Plus an additional 3-4" expected later.

It’s just a vastly different forecast than surrounding offices. I don’t see how places in SE Kansas who already have ~3” on the ground and as of 1, ICT was calling for an additional 5-8”, yet here, were only supposed to get 4-6” total? Maybe SGF is right with their forecast, but I still think it warrants an upgrade. I don’t think it’s a set rule that under certain circumstances you can’t upgrade for less than 6”. Given temps, wind chill, blowing snow, and at a minimum 4-6” totals, I don’t see any justification for not upgrading. 

• Like 1

Just now, MUWX said:

It’s just a vastly different forecast than surrounding offices. I don’t see how places in SE Kansas who already have ~3” on the ground and as of 1, ICT was calling for an additional 5-8”, yet here, were only supposed to get 4-6” total? Maybe SGF is right with their forecast, but I still think it warrants an upgrade. I don’t think it’s a set rule that under certain circumstances you can’t upgrade for less than 6”. Given temps, wind chill, blowing snow, and at a minimum 4-6” totals, I don’t see any justification for not upgrading. 

Well, the heavier band is supposed to weaken with time. You can see it's much narrower than it was this morning. With that being said, Wichita has had to add some counties farther northward to the winter storm warning that they had this morning due to high snow ratios. Those ratios would theoretically be less towards us. 

2 minutes ago, JoMo said:

Well, the heavier band is supposed to weaken with time. You can see it's much narrower than it was this morning. With that being said, Wichita has had to add some counties farther northward to the winter storm warning that they had this morning due to high snow ratios. Those ratios would theoretically be less towards us. 

Think there's hope for tonight in my neck of the woods JoMo? We have about an inch, just very light off and on snow all day

4 minutes ago, JoMo said:

Regardless of what is going on with surrounding forecast areas, I think the current SGF forecast warrants an upgrade. I would guess people under the band from Joplin towards Columbia end up with several areas over 6”. 

Around 3.5" on the ground in south Norman as of 330p. Probably going to bust low unless snow hangs on longer than expected this evening. Don't often see moderate/heavy snow with temps hovering around 5F around here. It's definitely an interesting and memorable event, but the relatively short duration of the moderate/heavy rates has limited our potential for a really big snowfall. Tough to get widespread 6-10 inches out of a relatively disorganized storm like this, no matter how high the SLRs get. I'd love to overperform tonight and get proven wrong, though. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MUWX said:

Regardless of what is going on with surrounding forecast areas, I think the current SGF forecast warrants an upgrade. I would guess people under the band from Joplin towards Columbia end up with several areas over 6”. 

Yeah, that band of snow is strange. It's currently snowing the hardest it's snowed all day right now. I'm not sure if it's tied to some kind of front or exactly what the deal is. I thought the 850MB front is farther south into NW AR, so I'm not sure what's forcing the band. 

I know many of the electric companies are experiencing a high demand for electric due to the cold spell.
Here is one example from the electric coop in SW MO that serves Newton County, McDonald County, and southern portions of Jasper County.

image.png.a364cf9cf34c5cd2bb1d86aae5dbc489.png

Just now, garfan said:

I know many of the electric companies are experiencing a high demand for electric due to the cold spell.
Here is one example from the electric coop in SW MO that serves Newton County, McDonald County, and southern portions of Jasper County.

PEAK ALERT! But only in the winter, instead of the summer heat. 

• Like 1

Jeff Piotrowski is live on twitter, sounds like there are some really nasty wrecks on I-44 in OKC. He is on the scene of the truck fire that I think was mentioned in this thread, but it sounds like there is also a different incident on going on I-44 as well. He described it as a large chain reaction wreck. Multiple 18 wheelers. Hopefully this is nothing like Dallas. 

1 hour ago, garfan said:

I work for a company that trades power and natural gas for several co-ops across the country. To say this weekend has been a mess is an understatement. Nat gas was trading at $600/dth at one point friday in the cash market and theres a very real possibility demand exceeds power supply at some point. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MoWeatherguy said:

I'm just hoping for 4" here.   My initial call was 2-4 as I guess I'm in the SGF conservative camp.   Snowstorms have a mind of their own for sure.   Best measurement here shows 1.5" here so far.

Yea we will see if this one will bust for here for warning criteria, these storms are crazy odd for sure man! Yesterday, based on what everyone here was posting, I told my buddy we are probly gonna be lucky to see 2-3" at best from this now. Im sticking with my gut again, got about the same here too around 1.5" or so...hard to tell with it whipping about everywhere. Maybe there's hope for us on the next one haha