Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,127
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Jdhuffmanhws
    Newest Member
    Jdhuffmanhws
    Joined

Fall/Winter Banter - Football, Basketball, Snowball?


John1122
 Share

Recommended Posts

Missouri is going to get absolutely drilled with ice storm and snow storm. They don't call it the Show-Me State for nothing!

Tennessee will almost certainly win tonight but I don't know about the spread. Auburn should win but Bama likes to rise to the occasion. LSU spread is ludicrous, but they will win.

Kansas will lose. If Iowa state goes to say +6.5 I bet against Kansas. Texas Tech looks like the best Big 12 bet tonight. Kentucky and Duke are Final Four bound - excellent on the road.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

Missouri is going to get absolutely drilled with ice storm and snow storm. They don't call it the Show-Me State for nothing!

Tennessee will almost certainly win tonight but I don't know about the spread. Auburn should win but Bama likes to rise to the occasion. LSU spread is ludicrous, but they will win.

Kansas will lose. If Iowa state goes to say +6.5 I bet against Kansas. Texas Tech looks like the best Big 12 bet tonight. Kentucky and Duke are Final Four bound - excellent on the road.

UK and Duke are just juggernauts.  Auburn is as well.  LSU has potential.  

Tennessee has to go to a guard heavy line-up or one of our bigs has to get hot.  And I do think JF is going to finish the year with a flurry of good games.  He is a Kingsport player.  He is tough because of that.  This might be one year where the Vols have not peaked early.   TN doesn't have the talent of other teams, but they like to fight(and get into fights).  That will help come tourney time.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't ask that question in the South, lol! My Cousin Vinny is classic South too.

Tennessee, Auburn and LSU should have wins but all are on the road. UK at Bama may be more interesting than whatever spread comes out. Ole Miss at Florida and MSU at Arkansas might have tighter spreads, but who knows?

Over in the Big 12, tell me which Kansas shows up and I'll tell you if they beat Baylor. It is a home game, but so was Kentucky. Bedlam (OU at OSU) will be a barn burner but I favor home team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Auburn escaped another win.Not sure what to think about this team.When they are on they are awesome but they seem to get over confident at times and look just bad.Great teams will put the dagger in you and never look back,tells me Auburn can be beat anyday.Kessler is a freak tho,so glad he came to Auburn

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I meant to post this yesterday but didn't get a chance:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611f6dd10bf7eb0f5007d

 

Never forget, First Creek Flamingo guy at the Fellini Kroger:

https://www.knoxtntoday.com/floating-the-flood-flamingo-mans-not-done-yet/

 

https://www.knoxnews.com/picture-gallery/news/2020/02/07/knoxville-flooding-high-waters-no-match-man-and-his-unicorn/4692960002/ 

 

 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For all you who think SEC refs are biased, Big 12 gave a clinic on poor officiating last night. Kansas was gang raped at the post and hardly any of it was called. Could have scored 4-6 extra points off free-throws. Texas got plenty of ticky tacky calls against KU. Normally officiating isn't an excuse, but this game was scripted to keep the Big 12 close for TV revenue. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/28/2022 at 10:13 PM, Carvers Gap said:

@Holston_River_Rambler, we have a new weather teleconnection/model.  It is called the HHIW(Hoop House in Winter) model. It seems to be more effective than the TIMS.  We built the garden hoop house yesterday.  About 26 hours later, I had to go shake it in order to get the snow off of it.  

@John1122

I'm adding the JiC (John in Chatt) to be like the MJO, that is if John knows the general weeks he has to go to Chatt each winter. We can even create plots. 

 

Current conditions

bN9Q4sq.png

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure if this article has ever been posted here, but it's an interesting list. Look at #1 :(

I'd say the list is skewed a bit since the winters in the 70's were probably the snowiest on record by average for most of the area, but still is interesting to see what areas have received more or less snow since that decade.

 

https://stacker.com/stories/4020/how-snowfall-levels-have-changed-across-100-us-cities

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Shocker0 said:

Not sure if this article has ever been posted here, but it's an interesting list. Look at #1 :(

I'd say the list is skewed a bit since the winters in the 70's were probably the snowiest on record by average for most of the area, but still is interesting to see what areas have received more or less snow since that decade.

 

https://stacker.com/stories/4020/how-snowfall-levels-have-changed-across-100-us-cities

Rebuttal to the last sentence of the Knoxville entry:  "having less snow might seem nice and certainly be convenient, but it represents a gradual decline in regional climate that will have a ripple effect on what grows and what survives."

We get plenty of cold rain to make up the difference.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shocker0 said:

Not sure if this article has ever been posted here, but it's an interesting list. Look at #1 :(

I'd say the list is skewed a bit since the winters in the 70's were probably the snowiest on record by average for most of the area, but still is interesting to see what areas have received more or less snow since that decade.

 

https://stacker.com/stories/4020/how-snowfall-levels-have-changed-across-100-us-cities

I'm pretty firmly convinced Knoxville's main problem is the recording of snowfall rather than that big of a reduction in the snowfall. It's especially problematic near the airport, which is the warmest/least snowy area in any direction from the airport due to the heat island effect.  However, there's far too frequently missing data, even now, to get an accurate official average imo.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, John1122 said:

I'm pretty firmly convinced Knoxville's main problem is the recording of snowfall rather than that big of a reduction in the snowfall. It's especially problematic near the airport, which is the warmest/least snowy area in any direction from the airport due to the heat island effect.  However, there's far too frequently missing data, even now, to get an accurate official average imo.

TRI's snowfall data is completely and totally corrupted.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lee County Data is corrupted due to the Pennington gap Site. Official NWS Site and Equipment set up not inline with NWS standards. Metal building 10 ft from Thermohydro Sensor. 

   Site situated about 75-100 yards from Powell River only about 10 ft above bank level. 

      It is within the Pennington gap Sewer Plant and manned by plant personnel.

      The Pennington Station was out of circuit up until a year or so ago due to erroneous data being reported from the previous site 1 m. South of Pennington at the Water Plant on the banks of Powell River and manned by plant employees.

  There was a time accurate Data was recorded from Pennington gap. WSWV Radio recorded data for about 12 years up until mid 90's, with staff Meteorologist Don Tooley doing the honors there .    Long time official Observer Ernest Frye was prior to that beginning around 1950. Both those locations were more reflective of the Pennington gap area.

   If you want Accurate Forecasts and Model Data, you need accurate, well placed Stations with trustworthy, knowledgeable Observers.

        

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...